Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,478
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:41:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spitting Image back on Britbox

Started by Fambo Number Mive, September 16, 2021, 01:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autopsy Turvey

It's a mystifying angle they're going for, unless Jess Phillips had some public sweary rant boasting about her genitalia that I missed. I'm tempted to assume it was written solely to outrage the sort of people who have been outraged by it, which some might say is reason enough. However, there is an amusing discrepancy in some of the 'news reports' on this 'news story', where 'journalists' who find the sketch offensive 'took to twitter' to cut and paste banal quotes from other outraged parties who back up their opinion. This is best summed up by the narrow selective reporting of 'the Independent': "The reaction to the clip has been largely negative, with several viewers calling it "f****** awful"." https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/spitting-image-keir-starmer-jess-phillips-b1931940.html Yet on youtube, the original video has 3.3k likes and 93 dislikes, and the first negative reaction is a long way down and is something about the black character taking a banana out of his pocket. Surely a proper independent newspaper would seek to flag up the fact that once you tear your furious eyes away from twitter, reaction to the clip has been overwhelmingly positive, with several viewers calling it "so funny!"

PlanktonSideburns

If they could just tear their eyes off Twitter for one minute to look at the real world, aka YOUTUBE COMMENT SECTION

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on October 05, 2021, 05:26:33 PMBoring shit
Well The Independent was specifically talking about the reaction to the Twitter post, why should they report Youtube comments? Some might say you should stop clogging up the forum with your boring dispatches from the culture war already.

BritishHobo

There does seem to be a weird thing where people with right-wing views, who were equally slagging the show off when it first started, turned very quickly into MASSIVE praise the moment the programme showed the first hint of mocking the left as well. You saw it with the Jacinda Ardern clip last time, which was incredibly lightweight in its criticism (she's, erm, perfect? But a bit annoying maybe?) but got loads and loads of love. Lots of right-wing pundits on Twitter who'd written it off as SJW rubbish, suddenly going 'AW THIS IS AMAZING' just because it gave a lefty politician the faintest poke.

I dunno, maybe that's why the right wins. They're happy to champion anything that slags off their opponents no matter how pissweak or obvious or broad it is, while here we are, critiquing it, cos we want it to be more savage towards our opponents.

MAYBE I'LL GO TORY

SPITTING IMAGE HAS DONE THIS TO ME

jobotic

Christ that's pathetic, even for you AT

Whether the right judge sonething to be funny has nothing to do with humour, just how much it upsets the people they hate. Look at Rees-Mogg's comments today.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Jumblegraws on October 05, 2021, 05:47:19 PM
Well The Independent was specifically talking about the reaction to the Twitter post, why should they report Youtube comments?

Balance? Perspective? The thinnest veil of journalistic objectivity? So that it doesn't look like they're constantly just cutting and pasting the views they approve of from the one narrow social media outlet that they're still irrationally obsessed with?

QuoteSome might say you should stop clogging up the forum with your boring dispatches from the culture war already.

Saying "some people liked it" is not a 'dispatch from the culture war'. No doubt many will continue to superciliously hold their nose about the existence of a 'culture war' that only their enemies are fighting, without even noticing their own gut-spattered combat fatigues.

Quote from: jobotic on October 05, 2021, 07:11:02 PM
Whether the right judge sonething to be funny has nothing to do with humour, just how much it upsets the people they hate.

This is common on both sides of the political divide, hence the state of American late-night talk-show satire under Trump. And putting in edgy routines to deliberately annoy the sanctimonious is something that the Goodies did when they heard Mary Whitehouse approved of their family-friendly early episodes, so it has a long and proud history.

Jake Thingray

Autopsy Turvey mentions the Goodies

Mr_Simnock

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on October 06, 2021, 01:23:30 PMMore boring shit
What balance and perspective on the Twitter response is given by mining comments from a different platform and where the issue raised (sexism) isn't even a talking point? "Oh, but it shows that there's a significant number of people who liked it!" Such perspective! Such insight! Such impartiality! You're such a fucking idiot, AT.

And don't make out like "boring dispatches from the culture war" is an overstatement when you're using this blip on the news-media radar as a pretext for a quasi-blogpost about journalistic integrity.

Kankurette

Quote from: jobotic on October 05, 2021, 07:11:02 PM
Christ that's pathetic, even for you AT

Whether the right judge sonething to be funny has nothing to do with humour, just how much it upsets the people they hate. Look at Rees-Mogg's comments today.
Something is not automatically funny just because it pisses off people we don't like. JRM has yet to realise this.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Jumblegraws on October 06, 2021, 03:41:32 PM
What balance and perspective on the Twitter response is given by mining comments from a different platform and where the issue raised (sexism) isn't even a talking point?

I suppose the wider question is why are there 'news reports' about selective twitter responses? And is this healthy?

Quote"Oh, but it shows that there's a significant number of people who liked it!" Such perspective! Such insight! Such impartiality!

Not much, just approx 50% more than currently exists.

QuoteAnd don't make out like "boring dispatches from the culture war" is an overstatement when you're using this blip on the news-media radar as a pretext for a quasi-blogpost about journalistic integrity

I've always perceived this to be a place where we can complain about media responses to the subjects under discussion. Problem is, Comedy Chat has itself become a remote outpost of the culture war, and an alternative perspective can be perceived as an enemy attack.

These 'twitter response news reports' are hugely culturally bellicose, just handing out ammo. I'm suggesting attempts should be made to mediate.

gilbertharding

I for one agree that journalists' over reliance on twitter is quite the problem. I don't think the solution is for journalists to start taking notes from YouTube comments. Especially YouTube comments.

Catalogue Trousers

Especially given that most of the glowing YouTube praise for this pile of unfunny shit is doubtless coming from the likes of Andrew Lawrence's dreary little acolytes.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Jake Thingray on October 06, 2021, 03:03:40 PM
Autopsy Turvey mentions the Goodies

This Is good, very very good. Credit given where credit is due, readers.

phantom_power

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on October 06, 2021, 06:41:44 PM
I suppose the wider question is why are there 'news reports' about selective twitter responses? And is this healthy?

Not much, just approx 50% more than currently exists.

I've always perceived this to be a place where we can complain about media responses to the subjects under discussion. Problem is, Comedy Chat has itself become a remote outpost of the culture war, and an alternative perspective can be perceived as an enemy attack.

These 'twitter response news reports' are hugely culturally bellicose, just handing out ammo. I'm suggesting attempts should be made to mediate.

The scraping sound of moving goalposts*

*Peel session 1978

Fambo Number Mive

Ron Superior

I think it's clever how they made exit rhyme with Brexit for the big punchline.

king_tubby

Today's biting misogyny satire is depicting Carrie Symonds with a vagina on her forehead. Because reasons.

Bigfella

Quote from: king_tubby on December 02, 2021, 12:59:34 PMToday's biting misogyny satire is depicting Carrie Symonds with a vagina on her forehead. Because reasons.
Not doubting you mate, but did they not offer any context?  The old Spitting Image wouldn't have done that.  I'm stuck with freeview telly, can't see what they're up to now.

king_tubby

Going from the description via Twitter it's a magic fanny she uses to defend Boris Johnson.

idunnosomename

losing it constantly reading the retweets of their announcement of a west end live show

https://twitter.com/SpittingImage/status/1472876788535672832/retweets/with_comments

(i saw it because Simon Hedges liked it, obvs)

M-CORP

I hear it's going well:
https://twitter.com/hepcatsector/status/1472911005713715202

Quotei'm part of the production crew on this and matt forde got upset with us not for laughing during rehearsals. he screamed "HA! HA! that's what fucking laughter sounds like!" before storming off crying. he came back 2 hours later and had a go at us for not rushing to his comfort

This whole thing (the Britbox show, this West End thing) deserves to be executed so much better than it has been. Grotesque puppets mimicking politicians can work, but not if you don't use the physicality of the puppets, or go much deeper than the soft dig so that Boris can just laugh his puppet off as looking like a tennis player.

jobotic

Quote from: king_tubby on October 04, 2021, 01:02:16 PMMatt Forde is so shit he's got the shitpost left defending Jess Phillps.

I had totally forgotten about this.

Jumblegraws

The West End show thing is a joke, right? Like, that's just their idea of a funny poster mock-up and it's vaguely topical because the actual Lion King show run just got cancelled?
ETA: bloody hell, they actually have a show planned. Wonder if they've got Glinner working on it, seeing as how he's freed up from Pope Ted

idunnosomename

Seems theres been a lot less exposure of it this series as everyone's curiosity about it has been assuaged as "ok at best" or "dogshit by centrist hams for cunts". Even the IDS didnt do a dub. Fair enough really if theres nothing to start with

idunnosomename

Quote from: Jumblegraws on December 20, 2021, 02:57:45 PMThe West End show thing is a joke, right? Like, that's just their idea of a funny poster mock-up and it's vaguely topical because the actual Lion King show run just got cancelled?
oh. Maybe. Somehow that just being the joke and its not even to promote anything makes it even more feeble.

Jumblegraws

Nah, I was wrong, edited my post above

WhoMe

Sat in awe watching this xmas special. It's absolutely fucking bizarre.