Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:52:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside No9 series 7

Started by SilverFish, September 17, 2021, 07:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

Thought it was very funny, early on.
The reunion aspect worked well bearing in mind Gatiss's presence.
I was expecting it to go a bit like Deliverance especially when Shearsmith kept spotting the man on the shore.
I assumed they all died, at first. I don't think that now.
Am not sure what happened at all really. Shearsmith's character died clearly. But how? Did he drown? Did he die of exposure on the shore? Was he dying anyway? Did any of it really happen or was this just a way of showing his experience of death?
What would am observer watching events in the real world have seen?

Tony Tony Tony

Norton Canes

lauraxsynthesis

I always forget to look for the hare!

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 21, 2022, 10:37:00 AMOn the shrine? At a guess

Good call. Just checked
Spoiler alert
it's sat in the shrine just to the left of the nameplate made of shells
[close]

On an unrelated note gave the podcast a listen and it was illuminating on what writers/ performers think about what the likes of us take away from or put an interpretation on their work. Basically they were saying it's yours take it how you want it!

Quote from: Virgo76 on April 21, 2022, 10:17:10 AMThought it was very funny, early on.
The reunion aspect worked well bearing in mind Gatiss's presence.
I was expecting it to go a bit like Deliverance especially when Shearsmith kept spotting the man on the shore.
I assumed they all died, at first. I don't think that now.
Am not sure what happened at all really. Shearsmith's character died clearly. But how? Did he drown? Did he die of exposure on the shore? Was he dying anyway? Did any of it really happen or was this just a way of showing his experience of death?
What would am observer watching events in the real world have seen?

He died from hypothermia at the shrine. They were at pains to point out that the water was very cold and that going in would be certain death.

selectivememory

Lovely episode, that. Though I wasn't particularly keen on the ending. I don't think anything after the fireworks was necessary, but it didn't spoil it for me at all. Mark Gatiss was great, and nice to see Diane Morgan in one of these finally.

selectivememory

Just thinking, this is seven series in now and as good as ever. I've never really thought about it in these terms before, but this an all-time great British TV show isn't it? It's amazing how they're still producing them at such a high level.

Peabo Bryson Is Not Dead

Pemberton and Shearsmith are annoyingly great at these; always feels fresh, new, but also comfortable and in the hands of a repertory that cares.

Diane Morgan was great and held her own around 3 men who must be able to second guess every other person's next nuance.

Was Gatiss reprising his role from Sally4Ever?

Virgo76

Quote from: selectivememory on April 21, 2022, 02:13:58 PMJust thinking, this is seven series in now and as good as ever. I've never really thought about it in these terms before, but this an all-time great British TV show isn't it? It's amazing how they're still producing them at such a high level.
It is indeed very rare for any TV show to still be producing such quality by the time of its seventh series. With the notable exception of Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps, obviously.

Virgo76

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 21, 2022, 12:54:43 PMHe died from hypothermia at the shrine. They were at pains to point out that the water was very cold and that going in would be certain death.

Did the others die too then? Wasn't there a reference to them being on the other side too? And the boat was empty.
I really need to watch it again.
Having just read Mark Salisbury's book am quite up for re-watching every episode. Probably too soon for a Star Trek TNG style mass re-watch though?
Love it how a new poster is produced for every episode. A brilliant show.

Virgo76

The podcast explains it very well.

Norton Canes

Thought the most touching moment was when Darren divulged that his book was actually for adults. Although, it did seem a bit of misdirection that he earlier claimed he was a children's author.

Mavis Grind

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 21, 2022, 05:36:10 PMThought the most touching moment was when Darren divulged that his book was actually for adults.

It also explained why he misread the invitation and brought Donna along.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Mavis Grind on April 21, 2022, 05:43:55 PMIt also explained why he misread the invitation and brought Donna along.
Ah, of course! Well spotted

Jack Shaftoe

Ohhhhh, that's really good.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yes! That hadn't occured to me until you pointed it out, Mavis G. Makes total sense now.

And yes, Inside No. 9 definitey deserves to be regarded as a modern classic.

Jasha

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 21, 2022, 12:08:54 AMi was a bit underwhelmed by this tbh. I mean I enjoyed it and the performances but it felt more like an ok afternoon play, I didn't laugh once. but yeah we all felt it transitioning from big bants into Böcklin's isle of the dead i suppose.

Just didn't click with me either but then I've always preferred the dafter/twistier ones

Magnum Valentino

Former

The more I rewatch this, the more it feels destined to become one of the classic episodes. Great character work and a tense, existential bleakness about it. I liked this more than anything in series six.

Kankurette

I wonder if he said he was a children's book writer because he was too embarrassed to admit what he was actually writing.

Tony Tony Tony

Among the many little touches included in this ep was there a nod to CaB fave Stewart Lee when Darren used the phrase "that London"?

Also loved that Reece's character 'coughed up' the fare.

Brundle-Fly

I rather liked the unexpected softening towards social media. For all its toxicity, (I am very much in the camp of the Gatiss character in that respect), I concede it really has brought old friends and generally, so many people together.

"Every twelve years?"

MigraineBoy

There's a weeks break between ep2 & ep3, but here's the synopsis for 'Nine Lives Kat':

Hard-as-nails Detective Inspector Katrina, a divorcee and single mum, is determined to crack the case of the missing boy. But there's also her drinking, her love life and her inner demons.

She doesn't want help, but it turns up anyway. Sophie Okonedo stars as Kat in this psychological thriller directed by Kieron J. Walsh. Also in the cast are Robin Weaver and Siobhan Redmond. The producer is Kim Crowther and the Executive Producer is Adam Tandy.

Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith return to present their seventh anthology of award-winning films. Six unique stories filled with a delicious mix of dark comedy, high stakes, subtle twists and heart-stopping horror. From the Welsh valleys to an abandoned house, from kidnappers to detectives, and from a day trip out in a pedalo to a public information film, it's never quite what you expect.

Tony Tony Tony

^Thanks for that, whilst disappointed that the run will be interrupted (probably a big footie match?) the prospect of a No9 based around a public information film whets the appetite.

I well recall seeing these as a kid and whilst some were light hearted, Charlie says or Alvin Stardust keeping us safe crossing the road, the dangers of swimming in a flooded quarry one scared the bejezus out of me Donald Pleasance voices

Kankurette

Oooh, Sophie Okonedo! I loved her in The Wheel of Time, looking forward to this one.

Blinder Data

I thought this one was mid-tier. Nice to get the band back together and strong performances, but overall very little twisty or original about it. The emotional punch didn't quite land for me, but I can understand why it did for others.  Still, a pleasant half-hour and it's amazing that they're still knocking them out after eight years of doing them.

Indomitable Spirit

Yeah, I thought the first 15-20 minutes were very good. That vague sense of building dread they do so well and the strained character dynamics really drew me in. However,  the ending did absolutely nothing for me at all - felt very tacked on as someone else said upthread. To be fair, I much prefer the 'orrors over the emotional gutpunch episodes, so it's probably just a matter of taste.

Saying that, the performances were all top tier as usual, so still an enjoyable watch. So glad it's back on telly

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on April 21, 2022, 11:30:53 PMAmong the many little touches included in this ep was there a nod to CaB fave Stewart Lee when Darren used the phrase "that London"?

I first became aware of this phrase being used comedically with Harry Enfield's Scousers, who went for a day trip to "that London" and kept calling it that throughout.

Captain Z

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on April 21, 2022, 11:30:53 PMAmong the many little touches included in this ep was there a nod to CaB fave Stewart Lee when Darren used the phrase "that London"?

I thought that was possibly a reference back to TLOG series 3 when Geoff attempts to become a comedian.