Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:03:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Things games need

Started by Barry Admin, September 19, 2021, 11:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 21, 2021, 04:07:59 PM
I want more of yer violent bastard games to have realistic depiction of overwhelming force and physicality. I don't mean gore or violence, I mean that hitting people hard as fuck should actually drop them properly, and adhering clearly to hit-points alone should be ditched in yer more pseudorealistic titles. That or stuff like putting a bullet in someone's head should drop them. It's something I love about both Red Dead Redemptions that shooting a feller in that thur thinkin iron done did put him up there boot hill no matter what stage of the game you were at. Similarly, despite finding it a kettle of piss Fallout 4 made you have bonkers levels of unarmed damage when you were in Power Armor and it was very fun to punch people in the face and watch them hit the dirt properly.

Always feels wank when you're a level 50 thunderfucker and you have a gozmillion arseblaster and yet firing it into someone's opened, terrified eyes does little more than irritate them. I don't need gore, just a little puff of red and them go "ah fuck me eyes" is enough. It's why I love the original X-COM: UFO Defense; a solid shot would drop pretty much any cunt.

I've been playing Fallout 76 recently and this has pissed me the fuck off. I'm level 70+ with pretty much the best guns in the game and no humanoid enemy poses any threat anymore, yet they still take four or five shots and it just feels like such a fucking waste of time for me and a waste of time for the devs to crank these numbers up every time. More games should be unafraid to have binary combat at a certain point.

The first Fallout did this very well; by the time you get to the Military Base you tend to kill enemies in a single hit, or they kill you. Simple. Fair.

I knew you were talking about Fallout straight away; I was used to the STALKER games, and the first time I shot someone point blank in the head in Fallout 3 and they didn't fucking die, I immediately deemed it S4C. I'd rather they hide mission critical characters in areas where you can't get your guns out, than pretend they've made a freewheeling anarchic anyone-can-die fest and then gating characters and areas behind enough HP to withstand an ICBM. If you come up to some guy with a Desert Eagle in your hand, they should be in fucking danger. (Note: fair enough it should take a couple of shots if they're wearing a few inches of steel, but I was bouncing bullets off someone's face.)

Which reminds me of the latter half of Splinter Cell Conviction, where it takes two, count 'em, two headshots to kill most baddies, negating the same "Sam Fisher's not weak like your lame grandma anymore" bullshit that fucked up their level design. Which is it, am I meant to be TOTALLY BADASS AWESOME 80S picking off multiple bad guys at a time, or am I meant to sneak around with a gun that can't even penetrate a skull with a single shot?

Zetetic

Quote from: Aleister Growley on September 26, 2021, 09:47:08 AM
There was also a button for having a smoke. No advantage to the game. Just stop and have a fag. Nice.
Mmm - for games where you're supposed to feel like you're someone, somewhere then these sort of player-triggered vaguely emotional gestures are nice to have.

Not a millon miles away, player idle animations.

Clownbaby

I would like to see more survival horror games that don't pan out to be a rehashing of Resident Evil style mysterious lab experimentation or some kind of elaborate abstract pile of dreamlike whimsical metaphors. Just want a few games where the goal is literally only getting yourself away from a horrible bastard. Just a very tense, No Country For Old Men, Duel, maybe Wolf Creek scenario where a Horrible Bastard is coming for you, and you have to outsmart him. He's not a mutant or anything, just a horrible, very smart and very ruthless man. Maybe he's got an Alien Isolation type learning-AI that works out where you are, gradually. He doesn't pursue you in scripted moments but it is inevitable that he'll be nearby soon, and that's it. You're just a person that a nutter has fixated their attention on, and you've got to find a way to lose him. No mysterious-cult-stole-my-daughter/wife/artificial mind manipulation alternate otherworld wank. Evil Within 2 was a shameless culprit of this, my god. Made me realise how sick I was of this type of premise

PlanktonSideburns

Love it. Could call it something like

Along Came a Bastard (mick McCarthy voice)

Maybe even hint about it being something supernatural, but then reveal it's just some poor bastard you bullied in high school

PlanktonSideburns

Fukin duel the survival game would be ace, destructable buildings, how far can you get through the desert without getting LORRIED

Rockstar fire up one of your old game engines and make this please

PlanktonSideburns

You could play as Boris Johnson, give it a modern political message

The Crumb

Quote from: Clownbaby on October 07, 2021, 11:24:11 AM
I would like to see more survival horror games that don't pan out to be a rehashing of Resident Evil style mysterious lab experimentation or some kind of elaborate abstract pile of dreamlike whimsical metaphors. Just want a few games where the goal is literally only getting yourself away from a horrible bastard. Just a very tense, No Country For Old Men, Duel, maybe Wolf Creek scenario where a Horrible Bastard is coming for you, and you have to outsmart him. He's not a mutant or anything, just a horrible, very smart and very ruthless man. Maybe he's got an Alien Isolation type learning-AI that works out where you are, gradually. He doesn't pursue you in scripted moments but it is inevitable that he'll be nearby soon, and that's it. You're just a person that a nutter has fixated their attention on, and you've got to find a way to lose him. No mysterious-cult-stole-my-daughter/wife/artificial mind manipulation alternate otherworld wank. Evil Within 2 was a shameless culprit of this, my god. Made me realise how sick I was of this type of premise

Not sure it's quite the scope you're looking for, but Powerdrill Massacre is basically this. You're locked in an old lumber mill being chased by a mad cunt with a drill. Find some keys to escape.

Clownbaby

Quote from: The Crumb on October 07, 2021, 12:59:41 PM
Not sure it's quite the scope you're looking for, but Powerdrill Massacre is basically this. You're locked in an old lumber mill being chased by a mad cunt with a drill. Find some keys to escape.

I had a look at a playthrough of this just now and I like the general vibe of it but something more dynamic and feeling like a complete journey across a large map is often missing from games with the simple ''escape horrible bastard'' premise. I think it absolutely could be done, and sell. There's so many small games that have a no-nonsense premise, I'd love to see a big release tackle a lean cat-and mouse yet plausible survival horror game without piling on the fanciful, whacky supernatural-cult-science-time travel story ''twists'' that horror games always feel the need to borrow off eachother. I mean, despite Alien Isolation being alien horror, that was a lean cat-and mouse  premise, released as a big mainstream game, and people really like it.

H-O-W-L

I wish less horror games lived on the idea that revoking progress the player has made innately equates to horror. Instant death sequences kill tension for me, and all it does is make me play like a robot. The Forest did this great -- the first time you hit 0 HP, you
Spoiler alert
get dragged off to a horrific bastard murdercave and wake up dangling in what is basically the cannibals' pantry, among several other hanging corpses. Then you have to fight your way out of there, a dark cave in the cannibals' heartland, with less gear until you can snag your backpack.
[close]
Way more tense than just "reload your save piss baby."

bgmnts

This is true but I will say The Alien in Isolation is genuinely fucking scary as fuck. But then it throws just as scary robots at you that chase you and dont one hit you, so you get best of both.

But yeah being hounded by freaky monsters with hardly any health left is way scarier for me.

H-O-W-L

I found the Working Joes far scarier than the Alien, mostly because the Joes are a lot more... reactive? The alien is-- an alien. It clearly does search for you and think about shit and stuff but the Joes are far more recognizable. That's personal really I guess.

Though I lost all fear of the Alien after about two hours of encountering it; when I realized all it could do was game over me I started bolting about faster than it could catch me and kinda broke the tension hardcore. Joes were scarier because they could impede my long-term progress by costing me resources; all the xeno would do is make me reload.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Clownbaby on October 07, 2021, 01:36:54 PM
I had a look at a playthrough of this just now and I like the general vibe of it but something more dynamic and feeling like a complete journey across a large map is often missing from games with the simple ''escape horrible bastard'' premise.
I feel like it would be a lot of work to program a large map to just have one thing to do, although...I'd like a modern jazzed-up version of Garry's Mod where you get a city or a landscape that you can use for whatever you like - then you could have "escape the baddie" games, races, and whatever the heck else you wanted.

bgmnts

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 07, 2021, 03:44:08 PM
I found the Working Joes far scarier than the Alien, mostly because the Joes are a lot more... reactive? The alien is-- an alien. It clearly does search for you and think about shit and stuff but the Joes are far more recognizable. That's personal really I guess.

Though I lost all fear of the Alien after about two hours of encountering it; when I realized all it could do was game over me I started bolting about faster than it could catch me and kinda broke the tension hardcore. Joes were scarier because they could impede my long-term progress by costing me resources; all the xeno would do is make me reload.

Yeah true but imagine playing in that in VR? The alien is the scariest thing ever created and i'd actually break down in tears, shaking like a shitting dog if I got caught.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I would like to see more survival horror games that don't pan out to be a rehashing of Resident Evil style mysterious lab experimentation or some kind of elaborate abstract pile of dreamlike whimsical metaphors.  Just want a few games where the goal is literally only getting yourself away from a horrible bastard.
The first Condemned was almost this. While it did include some surreal/supernatural elements (which the sequel apparently doubled down on) for the most part it was just you and a bunch of horrible bastards, in a series of manky settings.

There's also that Friday the 13th game: An online multiplayer thing, in which one player takes the role of Jason Vorhees.

bgmnts

Yeah Condemned was absolutely fucking ace and gutted they havent remade it or anything.

The Crumb

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 07, 2021, 01:56:28 PM
I wish less horror games lived on the idea that revoking progress the player has made innately equates to horror. Instant death sequences kill tension for me, and all it does is make me play like a robot. The Forest did this great -- the first time you hit 0 HP, you
Spoiler alert
get dragged off to a horrific bastard murdercave and wake up dangling in what is basically the cannibals' pantry, among several other hanging corpses. Then you have to fight your way out of there, a dark cave in the cannibals' heartland, with less gear until you can snag your backpack.
[close]
Way more tense than just "reload your save piss baby."

The first Evil Within was dreadful for this. So many instant deaths it went from scary to farcical and irritating. No sense of tension and release, just death animations every 30 seconds.

Quote from: bgmnts on October 07, 2021, 04:01:47 PM
Yeah Condemned was absolutely fucking ace and gutted they havent remade it or anything.
It really is rather grand. It might actually be the scariest game I've played, precisely because it (mostly) avoids the supernatural. The enemies are just so human, which makes their maniacal desperation to clobber you all the more frightening.

I'm rapidly talking myself into replaying it for Halloween.

bgmnts

Indeed. Plus you get to analyse jizz stains using your special camera phone thing at crime scenes.

oggyraiding

Not played them, but I think the Manhunt games have you facing naughty fucked up men rather than zombies.

bgmnts

Outlast? There is a little bit of supernatural but mostly just insane asylum inmates no?

H-O-W-L

Condemned is one of few games that has made me feel physiologically horrified. When you dangle off the back of the train in the subway section I was so visually immersed that I actually reached out toward my bedroom floor to break my fall. Ace game.

Quote from: bgmnts on October 07, 2021, 05:22:04 PM
Plus you get to analyse jizz stains using your special camera phone thing at crime scenes.
Soon to be the main exhibit at the Tate Modern.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 07, 2021, 06:29:30 PM
Condemned is one of few games that has made me feel physiologically horrified. When you dangle off the back of the train in the subway section I was so visually immersed that I actually reached out toward my bedroom floor to break my fall. Ace game.

Jakey Murder Simulator. One of the few games to really get me properly on edge. Proper weighty melee combat too, seems really hard to nail that for some reason.

There should be a game about cults, some kind of scientology analogue like in The Master. I imagine a sort of Rockstar/Bully style, where you complete mundane tasks for the leader while you work out elaborate ways to escape or subvert the cult in some way. Maybe even instead work to become the Leader and climax with some big moral decision to either become a living God or free your followers. Shit like that.

evilcommiedictator

Like Cultist Simulator (sure, 20-40 hour card game, not third person shooter)?

Zetetic

There should be a system-wide subtitles settings, that all games should respect, and switching it off should brick your machine.

popcorn

Quote from: Zetetic on October 10, 2021, 07:50:13 PM
There should be a system-wide subtitles settings, that all games should respect, and switching it off should brick your machine.

Good idea. And the subtitles should be a legible font size

Mister Six

Quote from: oggyraiding on October 07, 2021, 05:33:16 PM
Not played them, but I think the Manhunt games have you facing naughty fucked up men rather than zombies.

Yeah, but you are yourself a naughty fucked-up man, and much of the game is a stealth hunting thing where you're encouraged to murder then in horrible ways, which drains the tension a bit.