News:

It's still under construction, so please bear with me


Hawkeye (24/11/2021 Disney+)

Started by mothman, September 21, 2021, 12:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

letsgobrian

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 25, 2021, 08:10:53 AMThough presumably it's a plot-point as the money woes her parents were arguing over in the first scene all seem to have gone by the time we get to the current day. Mother dearest involved in some shady business, probably.

The moment we saw the mum in modern day I assumed she was a super villain. I can't tell if the show is trying to pull a bait and switch with Swordsman, and we're going to be expected to be shocked when it's revealed mum was pulling the strings.

olliebean

BTW, a couple of things that really took me out of it whilst watching episode 1:

1) The bell tower collapsing. All she did was ring the bell. If that was enough to bring it down, it was clearly on the point of collapsing anyway, probably would have gone down in the next strong wind.

2) The costumes in Rogers the Musical. I get that it was supposed to be shit, but it's a big Broadway show, it ought to at least have big Broadway production values, so why did the costumes look like an am-dram company had had someone's mum run them up in her spare time?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'll wait and see how things develop, but it feels a little unfocussed having two main plots running concurrently. That said (and considering the running time) I thought the first two episodes flew by. I've not read any of the Maths Fractions run of the comic (because reading is for nerds), but I'm aware it's supposed to be good, so hopefully the show will follow suit.

I like the Christmas setting, even if it's still a couple of weeks too early. Between that and the comical gangsters, I'm a little surprised Shane Black didn't have a hand in this. He's not had a success since Iron Man 3 anyway.

Renner plays the role as well as he ever did, but he looks knackered. He's older than I thought, at 50, but I assumed the studios made sure the actors kept match fit for these things. The time is clearly right for him to pass the torch and Steinfeld seems like a good candidate. The rich kid thing is a little off putting, but I assume whatever dodgy dealings her mum is up to mean she'll have lost it all by the end of the series.

If they make a another live action Addams Family, Tony Dalton should definitely have first refusal on playing Gomez.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: letsgobrian on November 25, 2021, 08:21:37 AMThe moment we saw the mum in modern day I assumed she was a super villain. I can't tell if the show is trying to pull a bait and switch with Swordsman, and we're going to be expected to be shocked when it's revealed mum was pulling the strings.
I'm working on the assumption both are up to no good, but for different (independent) reasons. Presumably Jack tipped off the tracksuit mafia about the secret auction, though I'm not sure yet what the significance of the watch was.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 25, 2021, 05:31:13 PMRenner plays the role as well as he ever did, but he looks knackered. He's older than I thought, at 50, but I assumed the studios made sure the actors kept match fit for these things. The time is clearly right for him to pass the torch and Steinfeld seems like a good candidate.
I think it works that the character looks beat up from all his SHIELD/Avengers work, plus his hearing fucked from all the explosions. You get the impression he really just wants to get back to his lovely country home and be with his family.

Nice touch that we were shown he'd told his wife how he'd gone off his head after Thanos clicked her and the kids out of existence. Must be nice to have a wife who forgives a bit of mass murder in the way of vigilantism.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving RockstarIf they make a another live action Addams Family, Tony Dalton should definitely have first refusal on playing Gomez.

Dalton must be among about, oooh, 15 men in history who have managed to successfully rock a 'tache.

batwings

Liked when the Depeche Mode track kicked in for the ep 2 end credits but that was about it. Pretty mediocre stuff so far.

stonkers

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 25, 2021, 05:31:13 PMI'll wait and see how things develop, but it feels a little unfocussed having two main plots running concurrently. That said (and considering the running time) I thought the first two episodes flew by. I've not read any of the Maths Fractions run of the comic (because reading is for nerds), but I'm aware it's supposed to be good, so hopefully the show will follow suit.

I haven't either but Kingpin is a big part of it and the rumour is Vince D'Onofrio is back for this which would be nice.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

He'll have had to mellow out some to fit with this. No more murdering people with car doors.

bakabaka

Hawkeye's younger replacement-to-be is horribly written in this. The poor little rich girl aspect is oddly unfocussed, while her youth, inexperience and naïvité are hugely overplayed, presumably so that her character arc will work. It's all so clunky and by the numbers.

But having gone in with low expectations, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Not the bell/clocktower scene or the musical or Hawkeye's kids but, because the fight scenes were supposed to be basic and not superheroic, they felt much more satisfying than usual with no ropework visible. Unlike in Shang Chi, where the second half looked like some kind of weird aerial ballet that destroyed any credibility.


Oh, and kudos to mjwilson for calling it back in September on the previous page(#8).

beanheadmcginty

Just noticed that Hawkeye's daughter is played by an actress named Ava Russo and her only other credit is Avengers Endgame. Hmmmm... Wonder how she managed to get those gigs. I'm sure she won those auditions fair and square, purely on merit.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I was rather surprised when Rhys Thomas popped up in the directors credit. Turns out it's not the one from Down the Line though.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Took me some time and an Internet check to realize it was Tony Dalton and not Paul F. Tompkins.

BritishHobo

I'm probably falling into exactly the same trap as I did with WandaVision and Loki (strong starts that petered out into the same old sludge), but the start of this has appealed to me. I like the little touches of how normalcy would be altered by all the big mad superhero events. Things like
Spoiler alert
seeing the first Avengers film's alien destruction of New York from the perspective of a scared kid in an apartment.
[close]
Or Hawkeye
Spoiler alert
watching a Broadway adaptation of the same events.
[close]

I just like it when they address the ways it would affect public consciousness. The little
Spoiler alert
'Thanos was right'
[close]
grafitti. It feels like real, organic consequences in a way the films rarely bothered with outside of the damp plot squib of the Sokovia Accords.

Doubtless it'll all go to shit, but I like things set at Christmas, in New York, and Jeremy Renner is always affable.

mjwilson

Quote from: bakabaka on November 25, 2021, 09:33:57 PMand kudos to mjwilson for calling it back in September on the previous page(#8).

Aw shucks

colacentral

Quote from: bakabaka on November 25, 2021, 09:33:57 PMHawkeye's younger replacement-to-be is horribly written in this. The poor little rich girl aspect is oddly unfocussed, while her youth, inexperience and naïvité are hugely overplayed, presumably so that her character arc will work. It's all so clunky and by the numbers.

But having gone in with low expectations, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Not the bell/clocktower scene or the musical or Hawkeye's kids but, because the fight scenes were supposed to be basic and not superheroic, they felt much more satisfying than usual with no ropework visible. Unlike in Shang Chi, where the second half looked like some kind of weird aerial ballet that destroyed any credibility.


Oh, and kudos to mjwilson for calling it back in September on the previous page(#8).

I thought the big problem with those two episodes was the direction more than anything else; specifically the direction  of the action scenes. It was hard to tell what was going on alot of time, with poor framing and choppy editing, particularly the fight around the wine shelves. As a good example, check out that shot towards the end of the second episode (I think) where it's meant to be Kate's perspective  behind the frosty windshield of the van. What is that? Awful shot, framed poorly with nothing to focus on, and it keeps cutting to it over and over again. There were lots of small, poor choices like that which took me out of it and contributed to the whole thing feeling off.