Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:42:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doom Patrol Season 3

Started by Povidone, September 23, 2021, 11:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Povidone

I don't think there's a thread for this already? Starts tonight, fucking hyped.

Only just got round to watching season 2 the other day and found it a little underwhelming, still one of the best things on TV but mainly just made me want to go back and watch the first season again. Found Cyborg's storyline a bit flat and predictable as well but hopefully it's going somewhere good. In fact pretty much every character arc was left in a bit of a weird spot with the shorter episode run and the cliffhanger ending.

Small Man Big Horse

I still really loved the second season, I'd agree with you about Cyborg and he's been the weakest thing about the whole series, but otherwise I thought it was fantastic stuff, and the way it's adapted so many elements of Grant Morrison's crazed run impresses. My only minor complaint wasn't even there fault as due to Covid there weren't able to make the planned season finale, but the Candlemaker plotline will presumably be resolved in the pilot so it won't be an issue overall.

HBO Max have released the first three episodes now, I don't know what the rest of the release schedule will be but I hope it'll just go down to weekly instalments so I've something to look forward to each weekend.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Many streaming services such as HBO Max, Hulu (or Disney+ Star in the rest of the world), Prime Video or Apple TV+ tend to release the first two or three episodes on the first week, then just one (or maybe two, when it's an half-hour comedy like The Other Two or Seach Party) episodes a week. It allows the show to get talks and coverage for a longer while, and people who prefer to watch on a slower pace are less afraid to read something about the show on the web, as there will no smart-ass who binged the entire season spoiling the events from the finale just to show off.

Netflix is the main service that releases most of its shows by blocks of seasons or half-seasons. Even if it means that the show gets much discussed on the first weekend, and then sinks without a trace the next week. The other services will do it for new shows, usually comedies, so people can try these shows on their own pace, but they will switch back to a more traditional model by the second season.

AsparagusTrevor

It's gonna be weekly from now on, just a triple bill to start with. Dunno how many episodes there'll be, hopefully more than the covid-reduced second season.

I've watched the first two so far. As expected, the first episode is what should've been the season 2 finale. I did a rewatch of seasons 1 & 2 over the past few weeks to catch up. Lovely to have it back and finally see the conclusion of season 2 proper.

In episode 1
Spoiler alert
I thought the Candlemaker stuff was resolved way too quickly for all the buildup (literally all fixed in the first few minutes), but at least there was still all the Jane/Miranda conflict left. Niles dead, but his story left open to fulfil his comic-destiny as a head
[close]

Michelle Gomez seems like she's going to be a fun addition.

The Roofdog

Is this on Prime with the fanny-dangle Starz add-on again or is it somewhere else this time?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on September 24, 2021, 06:01:12 PM
It's gonna be weekly from now on, just a triple bill to start with. Dunno how many episodes there'll be, hopefully more than the covid-reduced second season.

I've watched the first two so far. As expected, the first episode is what should've been the season 2 finale. I did a rewatch of seasons 1 & 2 over the past few weeks to catch up. Lovely to have it back and finally see the conclusion of season 2 proper.

In episode 1
Spoiler alert
I thought the Candlemaker stuff was resolved way too quickly for all the buildup (literally all fixed in the first few minutes), but at least there was still all the Jane/Miranda conflict left. Niles dead, but his story left open to fulfil his comic-destiny as a head
[close]

Michelle Gomez seems like she's going to be a fun addition.

I've only watched the first episode so far but felt the same way as you, it's great to have the show back but
Spoiler alert
the Candlemaker / Dorothy face off needed to be a good five to ten minutes longer at the very least, I know it's not all resolved yet and he's still lurking in Dorothy's brain, but it was still pretty unsatisfying.
[close]
. Otherwise there was an awful lot to like, Niles as
Spoiler alert
a ghost / head
[close]
should be fun, I'm looking forward to seeing where Larry heads off to, and as you say at the end, Michelle Gomez should fit in to this world perfectly.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: The Roofdog on September 24, 2021, 06:40:46 PMIs this on Prime with the fanny-dangle Starz add-on again or is it somewhere else this time?
Doesn't seem to be yet, unfortunately.

I've watched episode 3 now, a great episode. I quite liked
Spoiler alert
the Dead Boy Detectives, and Larry's mental breakdown was both hilarious and tragic. Also nice that Dorothy hasn't been forgotten about, although it feels like this is the last we'll see of her for a while now.
[close]

Povidone

Just watched episode 1. Agreed that the resolution to the previous season felt a bit rushed, found myself wondering if it would seem less so if it had been aired as it was supposed to before covid fucked everything. It's the sort of thing this show can get away with; just breezing through a lot of big moments like that.

Michelle Gomez's introduction was wonderful, got a good laugh out of me.
Spoiler alert
So did Niles deciding to join in with the sex ghosts and I'm delighted they're setting up the head in a jar stuff as I was worried Timothy Dalton would just fuck off from the show à la Alan Tudyk
[close]

Povidone

Just started episode 2
Spoiler alert
The Brain and Monseiur Malah! Aye I'm on board
[close]

Incidentally I just had a look at my PMs and I owe Small Man Big Horse a massively belated thanks for pointing me in the direction of those Morrison comics when season 1 came out, I believe I was going through some shit at the time and they helped me massively so apologies for being a rude cunt and not even sending a fucking word in reply. Yer a good lad.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Povidone on September 26, 2021, 10:15:49 PM
Just started episode 2
Spoiler alert
[close]

Incidentally I just had a look at my PMs and I owe Small Man Big Horse a massively belated thanks for pointing me in the direction of those Morrison comics when season 1 came out, I believe I was going through some shit at the time and they helped me massively so apologies for being a rude cunt and not even sending a fucking word in reply. Yer a good lad.

That's okay, I genuinely hadn't remembered that, but I'm glad you enjoyed them and hope that you're in a much better place now.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Povidone on September 26, 2021, 10:15:49 PMJust started episode 2
Spoiler alert
[close]

Probably the best CGI they've done so far, I was quite impressed.

Small Man Big Horse

I really loved the second episode as a whole,
Spoiler alert
The Brain and Monseiur Malah are two of my favourite characters but the holiday storyline with a now very relaxed Garguax the Decimator was extremely amusing, Larry mucking about in space was all good stuff, and the dance at the end had me grinning away.
[close]

AsparagusTrevor

Episode 4 is just insane. So many different crazy strands.

It looks like
Spoiler alert
we've definitely seen the last of Niles now, shame he didn't get to stick around for longer in head-form.
[close]

Ant Farm Keyboard

Spoiler alert
Maybe the intended finale for season 2 was supposed to be Niles' proper send-off, with then some pre-taped goodbyes or ghost appearances, just like the ones we saw during the season 3 premiere. But I loved the idea of partially keeping him involved during a few episodes of this season, as if he would eventually make a return as some important plot point, and to ultimately "kill" him in such a casual and random way by the fourth episode.
[close]

olliebean

I had a feeling that
Spoiler alert
Dalton wasn't around on set any more
[close]
as
Spoiler alert
Abi Monterey's accent was slipping a bit.
[close]

Small Man Big Horse

That really was glorious stuff, I thought it was insane enough
Spoiler alert
when Cliff and co became zombified but to turn Darren Jones in to a were-butt and have a whole bunch of them attack was the most I've laughed at a tv show in ages. Like everyone else I'll miss Timothy Dalton's presence (with him apparently not returning due to the pandemic and not wishing to risk his health) but it wouldn't be impossible for him to come back for a potential fourth season, I mean this is the DC Universe and it's rare anyone stays dead for that long.
[close]

Small Man Big Horse

And it's been renewed for a fourth season! https://www.avclub.com/doom-patrol-is-coming-back-for-a-fourth-season-of-super-1847878454 - I'm genuinely surprised as outside of CaB I don't know anyone who watches it, or who has even heard of if for that matter, but it must be doing okay in the US, that or someone at HBO really likes it.

Ant Farm Keyboard

This is an HBO Max, not HBO, show. In every market in which HBO Max isn't available (due to a progressive worldwide rollout and ongoing deals between HBO and local networks), they have to find somebody willing to air it, with the caveat that Warner wants to get the rights back as soon as their streaming service is ready. For instance, in France, the show is on SyFy, despite SyFy belonging to Universal, and Warner having a few cable channels here. They may actually make deals season after season, while networks prefer longer term contracts (the thing that gets renewed just with some option). Which may be why foreign networks aren't keen on promoting a show they could lose the very minute HBO Max is launched in their country.

There's a similar situation for Search Party, Harley Quinn (which wasn't mentioned at yesterday's event for some reason) or The Flight Attendant, which are "Max" shows in the US, but aren't part of the usual HBO catalog in other countries.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 17, 2021, 10:28:11 AM
And it's been renewed for a fourth season! https://www.avclub.com/doom-patrol-is-coming-back-for-a-fourth-season-of-super-1847878454 - I'm genuinely surprised as outside of CaB I don't know anyone who watches it, or who has even heard of if for that matter, but it must be doing okay in the US, that or someone at HBO really likes it.
Brilliant news! I was worried it was gonna be another Hannibal.

It's a shame it isn't on Netflix or regular Prime over here, I reckon it'd really thrive. Instead it's buried on that Amazon Starz subscription thing, and not even close to the proper airdate.

Small Man Big Horse

Yeah, I know so many people who'd love this if only they were able to see it easily.

The sixth episode was yet again really fun, I love the way they're dealing with Jane and Kay and co, the idea of Kay recovering was something I don't remember the comic dealing with and it's a fascinating idea. Cliff becoming increasingly childlike is strangely amusing, Larry
Spoiler alert
standing up against his son
[close]
was an intriguing plot development, and the only thing that didn't always work for me was the Sisterhood of Dada. The majority of it had me smiling no end, don't get me wrong, but the chicken impersonations brought back memories of Arrested Development and felt a little too silly, though that's always a risk when portraying a group devoted to Dadaism I guess.

Small Man Big Horse

The seventh episode continued this show's amazing streak. The only bad thing is that there are so few of us watching it, at least CaB-wise, but it's easily the best thing on tv right now and I love how demented it is.

AsparagusTrevor

I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but last week's ended things with some pretty big developments
Spoiler alert
Vic de-cyborged, Jane's personalities all gone. I enjoyed the interaction between Cliff and Larry and their normal selves, and Jane's Avenue-Q style puppets were fun.
[close]

I'm still absolutely loving the series, but a small criticism is I just wish they wouldn't separate the gang so often. It seems like every episode they're all wandering around some weird dreamscape on their own. I wanna see more interplay between them all.

Can't believe the finale is next week. Maybe it's because they released the first three together but it doesn't feel like it's been on long enough.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on November 05, 2021, 09:37:36 AM
I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but last week's ended things with some pretty big developments
Spoiler alert
Vic de-cyborged, Jane's personalities all gone. I enjoyed the interaction between Cliff and Larry and their normal selves, and Jane's Avenue-Q style puppets were fun.
[close]

I'm still absolutely loving the series, but a small criticism is I just wish they wouldn't separate the gang so often. It seems like every episode they're all wandering around some weird dreamscape on their own. I wanna see more interplay between them all.

Can't believe the finale is next week. Maybe it's because they released the first three together but it doesn't feel like it's been on long enough.

I know what you mean about them separating the team, and I do think the show is at its best when they're together, but this season has been such a joy in general that it's not bothered me too much.

And I'm in danger of repeating myself, but fucking hell, I do love this series so much, there's nothing quite like it on tv at the moment, or even close for that matter. Sometimes it's the little things that make me smile the most (the idea that the Brotherhood made a record together had me laughing no end), but the action sequences are almost always stunning (
Spoiler alert
Madame Rouge in baby form kicking arse being the highlight
[close]
of the ninth episode), while the minor character moments are just as captivating, and I'm so, so glad it's coming back for a fourth season, I'd have been gutted if it had been cancelled when it's on such fantastic form.

olliebean

After this and the What We Do in the Shadows finale, I'm wondering if it's
Spoiler alert
babies with adult faces
[close]
week somewhere.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 05, 2021, 09:00:32 PM
I know what you mean about them separating the team, and I do think the show is at its best when they're together, but this season has been such a joy in general that it's not bothered me too much.

And I'm in danger of repeating myself, but fucking hell, I do love this series so much, there's nothing quite like it on tv at the moment, or even close for that matter. Sometimes it's the little things that make me smile the most (the idea that the Brotherhood made a record together had me laughing no end), but the action sequences are almost always stunning (
Spoiler alert
Madame Rouge in baby form kicking arse being the highlight
[close]
of the ninth episode), while the minor character moments are just as captivating, and I'm so, so glad it's coming back for a fourth season, I'd have been gutted if it had been cancelled when it's on such fantastic form.

I'm happy that the team were back together this week. It took my enjoyment from 9.999 back up to 10.

The
Spoiler alert
Madame Rouge baby
[close]
thing was just something else, wasn't it? I never fail to be impressed they still manage to come up with absolutely insane scenes which you would never see coming in a million years.

Trailer for the finale looks like we're in for a good one. I just hope they don't end on too much of a cliffhanger (haha, Cliff-hanger).

Small Man Big Horse

I hadn't seen the trailer so went in cold, but thought it was a very satisfying ending, if the show hadn't been renewed it wouldn't have been too frustrating and really only
Spoiler alert
Jane / Kay's fate would have been up in the air
[close]
, but anyhow, I don't have to worry about such a thing as the fourth season has been commissioned, and I just hope it doesn't take too long to return as this has been the highlight of my tv week for the past two months.

One minor gripe
Spoiler alert
I suppose is that the Brain appeared to be killed off, but at least Monsieur Mallah survived the season, and perhaps somehow the two will be reunited
[close]
somehow.

AsparagusTrevor

Yeah it did seem like one of those season enders that was written as a decently satisfying series finale if needed. Thank god we've got at least another season to go. Can't wait to see them
Spoiler alert
operating or attempting to operate as a proper super hero team.
[close]

I loved it. I wonder if they'll continue
Spoiler alert
the significant status quo shake-up, like giant Cliff and normal Vic etc
[close]
next season.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on November 12, 2021, 10:50:54 PM
Yeah it did seem like one of those season enders that was written as a decently satisfying series finale if needed. Thank god we've got at least another season to go. Can't wait to see them
Spoiler alert
operating or attempting to operate as a proper super hero team.
[close]

I loved it. I wonder if they'll continue
Spoiler alert
the significant status quo shake-up, like giant Cliff and normal Vic etc
[close]
next season.

I'm with you on them finally being a super team, it's been a fun journey seeing them change from depressed and directionless to people who want to make a difference, but it'd have been frustrated if we didn't get to see the latter happen.

And on the latter part, I really hope so,
Spoiler alert
I mean Giant Cliff would just be a huge amount of fun, and it'd feel weird if Vic reverted to being part cyborg by choice, he's always had quite a dull storyline but I'm growing to like the character now as he's not being so whiny all the time. Though with Cliff I've always wondered if they'll introduce Dr Magnus as he'd be capable of repairing Cliff / giving him an all new body if need be.
[close]