Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:21:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Oh. OH. I just had a thought. This won't happen by the way. But who did RTD go after first time round? But who said no, and freely admits regretting it? And now does TV and is having quite the late-career renaissance doing so? Hugh Grant.

Alberon

I suppose all this is the final nail in the coffin of the idea that John Bishop is the new Doctor, which we can all be thankful for.

JamesTC

Chibnall has introduced an infinite fucking Doctors because he is shit so John Bishop could still be a Doctor.

pigamus

He should get McGann. Why the fuck not. Just for one series even.

purlieu

Tell you what, if the 60th is an multi-Doctor story and McGann isn't in it, I'm going to write a letter.

pigamus

Actually fuck McGann, he should get my beloved Pearl Mackie back.

mjwilson

Quote from: Replies From View on September 25, 2021, 05:51:12 PM
At this stage I can only imagine that RTD must have had some influence over series 13 and the course of the Timeless Child.

0% chance of this I reckon

Alberon

Quote from: pigamus on September 25, 2021, 11:00:14 PM
Actually fuck McGann, he should get my beloved Pearl Mackie back.

We seem to have entered the dreams coming true part of Doctor Who's history so why not both?

Quote from: purlieu on September 25, 2021, 10:56:21 PM
Tell you what, if the 60th is an multi-Doctor story and McGann isn't in it, I'm going to write a letter.

Same here...those two letters will really show them!

pigamus

DEAR CHEEKY CHOPS

(I bet one of you gimps will get that reference)

Mister Six

Quote from: Alberon on September 25, 2021, 11:03:13 PM
We seem to have entered the dreams coming true part of Doctor Who's history so why not both?

While we're wishing, I actually just want the Capaldi/Mackie/Lucas crew back with Missy for absolutely any length of time whatsoever.

Replies From View

Quote from: mjwilson on September 25, 2021, 11:02:09 PM
0% chance of this I reckon

Why.  With Chibnall handing it over, surely discussions would be had.  Even on a friendly level.  Maybe Chibnall only had an idea for what we saw in series 12, and admitted he needed help to expand it and make it worthwhile, so reached out to RTD.

Remember, RTD corresponded with Moffat to make sure Moffat would be happy with the playing pieces when he took it on.

It's not so far fetched.

Replies From View

mothman

There's elements of him there, but it reminds me of Brydon & Coogan in The Trip arguing over how to do Michael Caine.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Replies From View on September 26, 2021, 01:17:44 AM
He does a good Eccleston and Tennant.  His Capaldi is shocking though.

Yeah but he's doing Tennant's doctor there not Tennant himself.

daf

Quote from: pigamus on September 25, 2021, 10:54:23 PM
He should get McGann. Why the fuck not. Just for one series even.

I wouldn't rule this out - though as a 'Sarah Jane Adventures' / 'Torchwood' type of spinoff, rather than the main show.

I'm pretty sure he said something during the Lockdown Tweetalong about how he'd have loads of other shows in a Who Universe channel if he was still in charge.

Hang on, I'll see if I can dig out the actual quote . . .

. . .  OK, I was wrong - it was in a Radio Times interview :

Quote from: RTD"There should be a Doctor Who channel now. You look at all those new Star Wars and Marvel shows, you think, we should be sitting here announcing The Nyssa Adventures or The Return of Donna Noble, and you should have the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors together in a 10-part series. Genuinely.

"You laugh, but did Star Trek fans ever think they'd be getting a Captain Pike series? Ever? That's insane. The whole science fiction world is so creative and so money making right now, I think your wildest dreams can come true."
https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-marvel-shared-universe/

Here's my choices:
The Paternoster Gang - Victorian adventures with Strax & co - perfect for Sunday nights!
The Eighth Doctor Adventures - don't care who he's with - just make it before he's too old!

Replies From View

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 26, 2021, 04:21:48 AM
Yeah but he's doing Tennant's doctor there not Tennant himself.

I know; I thought it was obvious enough what I meant.

mjwilson

Quote from: Replies From View on September 26, 2021, 12:16:44 AM
Why.  With Chibnall handing it over, surely discussions would be had.  Even on a friendly level.  Maybe Chibnall only had an idea for what we saw in series 12, and admitted he needed help to expand it and make it worthwhile, so reached out to RTD.

Remember, RTD corresponded with Moffat to make sure Moffat would be happy with the playing pieces when he took it on.

It's not so far fetched.

There's a world of difference between "please don't use the Daleks" and "I realised that I couldn't do my job so I asked someone to do it for me".

Jack Shaftoe

I hadn't thought of RTD setting up spinoff shows, but of course he will, won't he? All under the Bad Wolf production arm. I can see a Paternoster Gang (god that name is cheesy though) series, if Moffat fancied it for a bit of fun, could be great, Victorian-era romp going in and out of space opera stuff, marvellous.

mothman

Yeah, but... none of the spin-offs to date have really set the world on fire, have they? And they're all Companion-based (well, sort of - I don't know what the basis of Class was).

Whereas, say, all the Star Trek shows are still Starfleet-based (or have mostly ex Starfleet in - like ST: PIC). Perhaps they should have another show about another Time Lord, but how to make that interesting?

If Star Trek spin-offs were done the way Who ones were, we'd have had Samuel T. Cogley: Space Lawyer! Quark's Bar! Neelix & Son! Constable Odo Investigates! Which would probably all have been awesome, to be fair. As would the mooted Gary Seven & Isis show. Captain Proton, though, not really sure...

Jack Shaftoe

But now they've seen what works, and what doesn't work. I still don't know what the hell Class was all about. Their models now are The Mandelorian and Wandvaision - obviously with nowhere near the budget, but that's fine, it's the imagination and ambition that's important at this stage.

*braces self for a series about the Trump substitute played by that Sex and the City bloke*

mothman

Once upon a time, a Martha & Mickey show might have worked. Go for a whole Nick & Nora Charles/Thin Man vibe, only they're investigating aliens etc. in a fun not-looking-to-shag-them-yes-Torchwood-I'm-looking-at-you way. A grown-up-but-not-that-way SJA, sort of.

olliebean

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on September 26, 2021, 10:48:30 AM
I hadn't thought of RTD setting up spinoff shows, but of course he will, won't he? All under the Bad Wolf production arm. I can see a Paternoster Gang (god that name is cheesy though) series, if Moffat fancied it for a bit of fun, could be great, Victorian-era romp going in and out of space opera stuff, marvellous.

TBH, rather than wiping out Chibnall's Timeless Child bollocks, I wouldn't put it past him to do a spin-off based on pre-Hartnell Doctors, or whatever that Time Lord organisation was that the Jo Martin Doctor worked for. But he'd do well to keep it out of the main show.

daf

Bit of a fun exchange between The Moff and 'The T' on instagram :

Replies From View

Quote from: mjwilson on September 26, 2021, 08:32:58 AM
There's a world of difference between "please don't use the Daleks" and "I realised that I couldn't do my job so I asked someone to do it for me".

Hmm, that's an insulting take on what I was saying - there's a difference between admitting you need guidance and letting someone completely just do your job.  RTD and Moffat were in regular contact and RTD did more than that to prepare for Moffat, as I said.

You are forgetting that during his own tenure, Moffat would frequently get in touch with RTD for his views on stories he was writing, for ideas and emotional beats.  They are all friends and they are in contact, not simply detached acquaintances being professionally courteous.

It's not completely absurd that Chibnall would get in touch with his friends to rescue him from his self-made hole, especially since RTD would be taking over anyway a few months later.  Moffat was in touch with RTD; why wouldn't Chibnall be?

It's also not entirely improbable that the BBC themselves insisted on RTD having a guiding force behind series 13 to make sure RTD wasn't inheriting a completely irreconcilable mess.  It's pretty clear now that they already knew Chibnall wasn't up to the job - whether due to the quality of the show or Chibnall expressing that he couldn't cope, we may never know.

But yeah.  No need to be contrary just because I am saying things.

pigamus

Quote from: mothman on September 26, 2021, 11:17:49 AM(well, sort of - I don't know what the basis of Class was).

And that's how mothman lost his job as editor of Living Marxism magazine

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on September 26, 2021, 12:45:21 PM
Bit of a fun exchange between The Moff and 'The T' on instagram :

I don't get it.  Does he mean they get overweight extras to fill the costumes when they return?

Alberon

Quote from: Replies From View on September 26, 2021, 12:51:43 PM
It's not completely absurd that Chibnall would get in touch with his friends to rescue him from his self-made hole, especially since RTD would be taking over anyway a few months later.  Moffat was in touch with RTD; why wouldn't Chibnall be?

It's also not entirely improbable that the BBC themselves insisted on RTD having a guiding force behind series 13 to make sure RTD wasn't inheriting a completely irreconcilable mess.  It's pretty clear now that they already knew Chibnall wasn't up to the job - whether due to the quality of the show or Chibnall expressing that he couldn't cope, we may never know.

The latter is quite possible. The former? That would involve Chinball realising he was fucking it up and I'm not sure he's capable of that.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Replies From View on September 26, 2021, 12:59:44 PM
I don't get it.  Does he mean they get overweight extras to fill the costumes when they return?

He's referring to the fat Duplo Daleks that no one liked.