Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:02:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midas

Replies From View

halloween ep called k9 and pumpkiny

also a ready meal

Stoneage Dinosaurs

They should follow the Wallace and Gromit model of age-appropriate spinoffs - main one for kids and families, one for just kids (Shaun the sheep) and one for infants (Timmy Time).

So we've got Who and SJA, so just something for Cbeebies next. Maybe set the whole thing on some planet where nothing happens, featuring an assortment of non violent aliens from the main series, like I dunno, the little fat blob baby aliens from series 4, and they teach you to count or something. And maybe a dalek shows up but he's all nice and happy because his circuits got glitter on them. And then the doctor shows up in one episode but all he does is go 'ooh' and 'aah'.

daf

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 03, 2021, 06:06:32 PM
I thought up some 'funny rubbish Doctor Who spin off' ideas but Big Finish already did them all

No kidding! They managed to knock up a couple of box sets each out of the one-off appearances from Lady Christina and Jenny > > > spin-off madness

Midas

the winston churchill series seemed like a low point

I'd love a 13 part series called 'Fishing With Wilf' - each episode takes place on a little row boat and involves all the past Doctors consecutively just chilling out and chatting with Wilf as he imparts more wisdom than he has any right to. 

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: canted_angle_again on November 03, 2021, 08:18:05 PM
I'd love a 13 part series called 'Fishing With Wilf' - each episode takes place on a little row boat and involves all the past Doctors consecutively just chilling out and chatting with Wilf as he imparts more wisdom than he has any right to. 
Ladies and gentlemen, the first ever good idea for a Doctor Who spin off.

By the way if you've never seen the Christmas episode of Cribbins' CBeebies series Old Jack's Boat written by RTD, it's a bit special.

Wilf really should have been what Clara is.

And if that takes off you could have a buddy comedy starring him and Tom Bakers 'curator' getting up to madcap antics in a museum. A bit like the Jim Broadbent stuff in Cloud Atlas. Perhaps have Larry David as 'the meddling monk' and Trevor McDonald as the museum owner trying to keep everything in line.

purlieu

Quote from: A Hat Like That on November 03, 2021, 05:47:20 PM
I think given how niche the EDAs were, you could realistically do a 8th Doctor revisited series based on books set on Earth (i.e. not just the Earth arc but some others to fill gaps)
Yeah, I've often thought how there are so many Eighth Doctor stories out there that if anyone wanted to do a TV series for him then there's a wealth of material to be mined. You could do a bolder series starting with something like Alien Bodies, too.
Quote from: daf on November 03, 2021, 07:57:58 PM
No kidding! They managed to knock up a couple of box sets each out of the one-off appearances from Lady Christina and Jenny > > > spin-off madness
Jenny always felt like she was set up for a spinoff so I totally get that; Lady Christina a lot less so.
Quote from: Midas on November 03, 2021, 08:11:52 PM
the winston churchill series seemed like a low point
Yeah, and The Robots - set on the same planet as Robots of Death - isn't far behind. Plus stuff like Graceless and Vienna, which are spinoff series of characters introduced in Big Finish Who stories.

Big Finish's Worlds of Doctor Who range is the absolute benchmark for utterly ridiculous spinoffs, though.

Mister Six

Lady Christina is an aristocratic cat burglar, which even if you know nothing else about her, makes her a billion times more interesting and laden with story potential than "some girl with no personality and a spaceship".

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

An educational yet exciting spin-off in which Racist Time Fonz gradually learns the errror of his ways while travelling around in a stolen TARDIS disguised as a '50s jukebox. Instead of a wheezing, groaning sound, its entrances and exits are accompanied by the iconic guitar riff from Jailhouse Rock.

Mister Six

Can't wait for the spin-off about Transphobic Space Mork.

samadriel

The first thing I think of when RTD's "Lotsa Doctor Who" theory comes up is Abslom Daak; a grim, pulpy Conan the Barbarian type showcase of savagery amid the chainsawed shells of dead Daleks sounds like a lot of fun, and it would provide a very different angle to the Who universe than the main show provides. I think a lot of settings from Who would be be a good basis for spin-offs. The People would be great fodder for a show if only they wouldn't attract a lawsuit from Iain M Banks' estate. But there's the Earth Empire, including the 51st century or wherever it is Captain Jack comes from, there's the time of the Adjudicators like Chris and Roz. There's Benny, she could really shine in her own TV series. If Lawrence Miles can be coaxed into cooperation, there's Faction Paradox. There's probably heaps of alien species you could elaborate upon, similar to how IG88's droid series was made from a shoddy background prop into something great in The Mandalorian. They'd never do it, but I'd love to see a marauding army of beehived Drahvins taking on, I dunno, Cybermen? Speaking of Cybermen, there's Kroton. Someone said the Celestial Toymaker would be cancel material, but I think it'd be fine as long as he wasn't yellowed-up. And so on. I think a DWU is doable, it's just too hard to get the cash together. Plus Who is populated by creatives like Chibnall behind the scenes, so even the best ideas are at risk.

pigamus

Ambient Sheep

Omari Douglas, from It's a Sin, is now the reported favourite new Doctor, so much so that betting has been suspended by some bookies.

Could well be bollocks, of course.

I remember when the 11th Doctor was absolutely nailed on to be Patterson Joseph, so I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

Alberon

I think the one guarantee is that it won't be a white man.

Mister Six

You say that, but just wait - you'll be embarrassed when the 14th Doctor is revealed to be
Spoiler alert
Kris Marshall
[close]

JamesTC

Jerzy Bondov

Craig spin off where he drives around in a car with various Doctors and aliens and stuff and he goes AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA with his mouth wide open

Replies From View

Quote from: JamesTC on November 04, 2021, 04:31:37 PM
James Corden is 50/1

I agree that he's very fat but not 50 times more than average.

Replies From View

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 04, 2021, 04:33:25 PM
Craig spin off where he drives around in a car with various Doctors and aliens and stuff and he goes AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA with his mouth wide open

Flies going in, and things

JamesTC

I just want an edit of the climax of The War Games with pictures of James Corden and Kris Marshall added when The Doctor says "Well he's too fat isn't he? No! He's too thin!"

thr0b

Quote from: JamesTC on November 05, 2021, 01:44:58 PM
I just want an edit of the climax of The War Games with pictures of James Corden and Kris Marshall added when The Doctor says "Well he's too fat isn't he? No! He's too thin!"

But also

JamesTC

"Oh now that won't do at all!"

Replies From View

That's such a strange story isn't it.  "One thing they were going to do was replace the blue police box with a red telephone box."

Plus the absurd certainty of anybody being able to say that all photos and film footage was definitely destroyed and that's why there is no evidence of it ever happening.

pigamus

Got a free Proton out of it, respect the hustle

Mister Six