News:

Another big upgrade done, thanks Zetetic!


RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midas

Quote from: The Roofdog on September 24, 2021, 08:35:06 PM
Keep Segun Akinola then, the one and only decent thing about the Chibnall run.

I dunno, I think his music has been completely unremarkable tbh.

madhair60

Didn't he turn a blind eye to sexual predator John Barrowman's repeated sexual assaults of female cast and crew?

JamesTC

Quote from: Natnar on September 24, 2021, 08:35:40 PM
So what will the timeline be? Jodie & Chibnall bowing out at the end of 2022 after 3 specials followed by 2023 RTD series with the new doctor which could end with the 60th anniversary special?

The wording wasn't 100% specific but it seemed to me to say that RTD will take over with an anniversary special followed by a full series.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: madhair60 on September 24, 2021, 08:41:31 PM
Didn't he turn a blind eye to sexual predator John Barrowman's repeated sexual assaults of female cast and crew?

No. Not at all. It was repeated sexual assaults of both male and female cast and crew.

Natnar

Quote from: JamesTC on September 24, 2021, 08:44:16 PM
The wording wasn't 100% specific but it seemed to me to say that RTD will take over with an anniversary special followed by a full series.

But would he have the new doctor's first story be the 60th anniversary episode though? I suppose he could have Jodie turn back into a previous Doctor for the 60th and then regenerate at the end.

Rev+

Quote from: Replies From View on September 24, 2021, 08:17:05 PM
So we are likely going to be in the interesting position of RTD Who without Murray Gold.

I'd be very surprised if he hasn't been approached, at least.  Julie Gardner and Jane Tranter are also returning, so it does feel like a 'putting the band back together' situation.

Just don't bloody approach Tennant, because we all know he'd do it.

Replies From View

Quote from: The Roofdog on September 24, 2021, 08:35:06 PM
Keep Segun Akinola then, the one and only decent thing about the Chibnall run.

He's been rubbish so far.  Clattering and arpeggios.  He scores every scene like they are the building blocks of an exciting heist movie, ramping forever upwards towards a thrilling climax, regardless of what's going on.

Replies From View

Quote from: Natnar on September 24, 2021, 08:35:40 PM
So what will the timeline be? Jodie & Chibnall bowing out at the end of 2022 after 3 specials followed by 2023 RTD series with the new doctor which could end with the 60th anniversary special?

Maybe a full series from RTD before the 60th anniversary special?

Mister Six

Quote from: The Roofdog on September 24, 2021, 08:35:06 PM
Keep Segun Akinola then, the one and only decent thing about the Chibnall run.

I like the depiction of the time vortex, although they've only used it in about two episodes, probably because it costs too much.

Cristobal Tapia de Veer as composer, or is he too odd? I could see him complementing Davies's odder side, but I'm guessing they'll want someone a bit more bombastic and crowd-pleasing.

JamesTC

Quote from: Natnar on September 24, 2021, 08:55:17 PM
But would he have the new doctor's first story be the 60th anniversary episode though? I suppose he could have Jodie turn back into a previous Doctor for the 60th and then regenerate at the end.

Might not have a choice if that is what the BBC want. The 60th doesn't need to be a multi-Doctor story. Just chucking in a load of returning villains and characters would be enough. Save the multi-Doctor story for 2025 when it is the 20th anniversary of new Who and you can get Tennant, Smith and Whittaker all back (Eccleston is unlikely to do it with RTD involved).

Replies From View

Quote from: JamesTC on September 24, 2021, 09:06:18 PM
Eccleston is unlikely to do it with RTD involved

With the BBC involved.  They put out a press release in 2005 saying that he was leaving the show due to "tiredness" - making up a quote that they attributed to him.  He was furious because no producers wanted to work with him if he was likely to get tired, and he hasn't forgiven the BBC since.

Natnar

So am i right in thinking that Martha is the only RTD era companion that could back without any complications? Rose is in another universe with Clonedoctor and Donna will explode if she sees the Doctor again or something.

Alberon

Martha's off with Mickey and I can guarantee he isn't coming back.

Maybe the plan with Bad Wolf Productions producing it is for RTD to do a series or two then hand it over to someone else. The company keeps producing it with RTD above the showrunner.

Cloud

Ooh!

Surprising news but brilliant.  If anyone can unfuck the mess Chibbers made surely he can.
It's funny, when he left I was looking back on his worst stuff like "bah, farting aliens, a trampoline and an Annedroid" and how Moffat would be so much better.  But now look back on his era with fondness and I can't think of anyone I'd rather see in charge.  Well played, BBC.  Time to bring back the charm and excitement!

mothman

Let's hope this doesn't turn into Mourinho's second stint at Chelsea.

The Roofdog

I almost feel bad for Chibbers now, looking at twitter it's the first time anyone's been excited about Who since shortly after The Woman Who Fell To Earth aired and I haven't seen anyone say it's a bad move, his failure could not be more complete.

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on September 24, 2021, 09:31:18 PM
Let's hope this doesn't turn into Mourinho's second stint at Chelsea.

little reference for any fans of billiards out there

purlieu

Quote from: Replies From View on September 24, 2021, 08:59:56 PM
He's been rubbish so far.  Clattering and arpeggios.  He scores every scene like they are the building blocks of an exciting heist movie, ramping forever upwards towards a thrilling climax, regardless of what's going on.
I really like the synth chord motif that's in a lot of the episodes. I think generally his music's fine, often quite atmospheric, and by far the best theme of all the new ones. With better people in charge, I think he could be really good.

On the whole I want more electronic music and less orchestral. It's Doctor Who. As long as it's not fucking synthwave arpeggios.


Further thoughts since earlier... this is absolutely what the show needs in order to reclaim casual and lapsed fans. And for that I'm glad, even if I don't end up liking it very much. At the same time, it doesn't take a cynic to see this is a really desperate move from the BBC. It's hard not to see it as a last chance for the show, really. Like JNT at the start of McCoy's era, only it's actually Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks instead. It'll be really interesting to read about this in ten-to-fifteen years' time. I wonder how close we got to the show being put on hiatus.

Quote from: Cloud on September 24, 2021, 09:29:07 PM
It's funny, when he left I was looking back on his worst stuff like "bah, farting aliens, a trampoline and an Annedroid" and how Moffat would be so much better.  But now look back on his era with fondness and I can't think of anyone I'd rather see in charge.
Yeah, he's a much better choice than Moffat, because he knew the only way to bring the show back was a big, broad, colourful, easy watching show that would appeal to average telly viewers as much as it would Who fans and sci-fi nerds. Moffat managed to balance the knowing referencing and long-term continuity with popular storytelling for a while, but I do remember wondering during the Davros two-parter, how many people watching this really care about a Davros origin story? There's a general correlation between dropping viewing figures and increasing use of fan-service referencing. If anyone can save the show, RTD can.

Replies From View

Quote from: The Roofdog on September 24, 2021, 09:35:22 PM
I almost feel bad for Chibbers now, looking at twitter it's the first time anyone's been excited about Who since shortly after The Woman Who Fell To Earth aired and I haven't seen anyone say it's a bad move, his failure could not be more complete.

The information will not be processing within whatever you could call it.  No need to feel bad for him.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Replies From View on September 24, 2021, 07:15:11 PM
Another thought occurs, by the way.


Around the time that RTD agreed the handover to Moffat, I understand that RTD began to allow his successor influence over little details so that the playing pieces would be in place for the transition to be smooth.  So fuck knows why, but The Doctor's Daughter ended with Jenny surviving in case Moffat wanted to use her at a later date.  There were less shit examples as well, I just can't think of them right now.  (Edited to add:  Moffat requested for the Daleks not to be used in the 2009 specials so they would have a chance to feel fresh again.)


Anyway, I am mentioning this because maybe the Timeless Children guff sent alarm bells ringing to such an extent that it was decided RTD needed to step in, and now RTD has been allowed to influence the trajectory of the development of that storyline so that it's where he wants it to be when he takes over.  I mean how can that not be the case now?

It's just a thought.  Maybe the series 13 development of the Timeless Child bullshit will be influenced more by RTD's wishes than we'll be told.

I hope you're right as The Timeless Child fills with me anger whenever I hear mention of it and I'll despise Chibnall for its introduction for the rest of my life, but RTD was responsible for hiring the twat in the first place, and does genuinely seem to like him, so I think the best we can hope for is that when he takes the reins again it'll just never be mentioned ever again.

olliebean

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 24, 2021, 05:59:14 PM
It almost certainly won't have occurred to him. He'll just amble on obliviously, secure in his delusion that he wrote some good Doctor Who episodes. Although I'm not sure he'll even think that. It's difficult to imagine Chris Chibnall really thinking about anything.

At the moment he's probably thinking it's his brilliant rewriting of the Doctor's backstory that has inspired RTD to come back.

olliebean

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 24, 2021, 04:44:25 PM
So does this mean Olly Alexander or Billie Piper as the next Dr? Or Julie Hesmondhalgh?

I'd imagine they must be thinking in terms of a WOC, at least as a strong possibility, at this point. At any rate, surely it has to be another woman, to prevent a large contingent of toxic male fans on the internet reframing Chibnall's failure as the fault of casting a female Doctor.

Replies From View

Whenever anyone says Olly Alexander I still think of Olly from The Thick of It

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Replies From View on September 24, 2021, 09:17:55 PM
With the BBC involved.  They put out a press release in 2005 saying that he was leaving the show due to "tiredness" - making up a quote that they attributed to him.  He was furious because no producers wanted to work with him if he was likely to get tired, and he hasn't forgiven the BBC since.

He's starred in several BBC productions since his stint on Doctor Who, most notably The A Word, Accused and The Shadow Line. His issue isn't with 'Auntie', it's with whatever happened specifically during his time working on Doctor Who.

lipsink

Yeah it needs to be a woman to show idiots that it can be done right. It'll be Lydia West from It's A Sin and Years and Years, I reckon.

I am actually really delighted to hear this news. RTDs output these last few years has just been outstanding.

Psybro

Quote from: Malcy on September 24, 2021, 07:31:37 PM
What did you blackmail him with?

Threatened to tell everyone he goes around calling Chibnall his 'friend and hero'.

Mister Six

Quote from: purlieu on September 24, 2021, 09:39:02 PMI do remember wondering during the Davros two-parter, how many people watching this really care about a Davros origin story?

Ha, yeah, I'd started a Doctor Who watching club at my place with some pals, some of whom were only slightly aware of what Who is, and only a couple of us reacted to that big season-opening dramatic moment. Even for big fans of the present show, Davros was in, what, a couple of episodes five or six years earlier? Really bungled.

Pranet

Quote from: lipsink on September 24, 2021, 10:17:49 PM
Yeah it needs to be a woman to show idiots that it can be done right. It'll be Lydia West from It's A Sin and Years and Years, I reckon.

I am actually really delighted to hear this news. RTDs output these last few years has just been outstanding.

I remember listening to an interview with RTD from around the time that David Tennant said he was leaving, before Matt Smith was announced. The interviewer said something about a woman being cast as the next Doctor, and my memory of it is that RTD said we shouldn't even talk about it because even talking about it makes it more likely to happen. He was dead against it at the time. Not because he is a terrible misogynist. There were reasonable reasons for thinking it was a bad idea. But, when I found the interview it was at the height of the Steven Moffat is a terrible sexist thing and I remember thinking that if he had said the same things he would have been killed.

It might still be on a hard drive somewhere but I probably deleted it and even if I didn't no idea how I'd find it again. I think it was with the person who he did the writer's tale books with. I think it was an interview in front of an audience. But I might be totally misremembering/making this up.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 24, 2021, 10:15:42 PM
He's starred in several BBC productions since his stint on Doctor Who, most notably The A Word, Accused and The Shadow Line. His issue isn't with 'Auntie', it's with whatever happened specifically during his time working on Doctor Who.

Well Eccleston said this, so unless he is lying... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbFq37yhKl8

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Replies From View on September 24, 2021, 11:50:36 PM
Well Eccleston said this, so unless he is lying... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbFq37yhKl8

That's an hour long, so you'll have to specify what he said. Anyway, it doesn't really matter. Eccleston has no qualms about working with the BBC, he just had a bad experience during his time on Doctor Who.