Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:04:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RTD back for Doctor Who

Started by Jack Shaftoe, September 24, 2021, 04:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinAhFuckScary

VelourSpirit

This is must be some of the greatest, most bizarre unexpected news I've ever heard. Absolutely floored. I'm so happy Doctor Who is going to be good again!

GoblinAhFuckScary

so it was foretold

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 29, 2021, 04:55:20 PM
Would not be surprised if they got back RTD for one (anniversary) season.
He's been oddly quiet too recently

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 25, 2021, 12:16:05 AM
That's an hour long, so you'll have to specify what he said. Anyway, it doesn't really matter. Eccleston has no qualms about working with the BBC, he just had a bad experience during his time on Doctor Who.

It's 16 minutes 20 seconds in, when he's asked whether he'll come back for the 60th.  He's saying he won't come back to television Who because the BBC invented a quote that made him toxic to producers, but he will do Big Finish and conventions.

olliebean

Quote from: lipsink on September 24, 2021, 10:17:49 PM
Yeah it needs to be a woman to show idiots that it can be done right. It'll be Lydia West from It's A Sin and Years and Years, I reckon.

I am actually really delighted to hear this news. RTDs output these last few years has just been outstanding.

She's a good actor, but difficult to tell from what I've seen of her if she'd be a good Doctor. I doubt RTD would cast someone who wouldn't be, though. (I still think - although she'd surely be better under a better showrunner, and did improve in S12 - that Jodie Whittaker, though a fine actor, is miscast in this role.)

JamesTC

Eccleston has also said that he doubts he could ever work with RTD again.

Quote"My relationship with my three immediate superiors – the showrunner, the producer and co-producer – broke down irreparably during the first block of filming and it never recovered,"

Asked if Davies was aware of the issues, Eccleston says, "If you're the showrunner, you know everything. That's your job," adding that he "never will have" a working relationship with the screenwriter again.

Alberon

There's a slim chance we might see what Whittaker would be like written by RTD in the 60th special, of course.

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: Pranet on September 24, 2021, 11:31:17 PMI probably deleted it and even if I didn't no idea how I'd find it again. I think it was with the person who he did the writer's tale books with. I think it was an interview in front of an audience. But I might be totally misremembering/making this up.

I'm convinced I listened to a podcast with Chibnall a while back when he was doing Broadchurch where he said he wasn't that bothered about Doctor Who and only wrote for it because it would impress his kids. Kept waiting for someone to bring it up when he became showrunner. But I can't find it, and like you, I may well have imagined it/misremembered it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Replies From View on September 25, 2021, 06:49:02 AM
It's 16 minutes 20 seconds in, when he's asked whether he'll come back for the 60th.  He's saying he won't come back to television Who because the BBC invented a quote that made him toxic to producers, but he will do Big Finish and conventions.

Ta.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on September 25, 2021, 10:02:11 AM
I'm convinced I listened to a podcast with Chibnall a while back when he was doing Broadchurch where he said he wasn't that bothered about Doctor Who and only wrote for it because it would impress his kids. Kept waiting for someone to bring it up when he became showrunner. But I can't find it, and like you, I may well have imagined it/misremembered it.

I'd be surprised if that were true, if only because he's a longtime fan and there was of course his infamous appearance on Open Air back in 1986 where he complained about it being cliched around the 2 minute mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkCe3owO7wY

purlieu

Yeah, he's got a similar pedigree as RTD, Moffatt and Gatiss in terms of being a lifelong Who fanboy, although he's the only one of those who hadn't written for it before the revival.

Spoon of Ploff

very pleased to read the news. tiny bit worried that his first show back is the 60th anniversary that he doesn't smother the screen with Master clones, cybermen and daleks all having a barney.

anyway. celebrated by making one of those NeuralBlender pictures. Can you tell what it is?

Replies From View

Quote from: purlieu on September 25, 2021, 11:22:02 AM
Yeah, he's got a similar pedigree as RTD, Moffatt and Gatiss in terms of being a lifelong Who fanboy, although he's the only one of those who hadn't written for it before the revival.

And he is the only one of those men who lacks any redeeming qualities on any level as a human being.

Replies From View

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on September 25, 2021, 01:03:23 PM
very pleased to read the news. tiny bit worried that his first show back is the 60th anniversary that he doesn't smother the screen with Master clones, cybermen and daleks all having a barney.

anyway. celebrated by making one of those NeuralBlender pictures. Can you tell what it is?

Frog on a chair, innit

Do one with it also wanking

chveik

Quote from: madhair60 on September 24, 2021, 08:41:31 PM
Didn't he turn a blind eye to sexual predator John Barrowman's repeated sexual assaults of female cast and crew?

lol do you think fanboys care about this stuff

JamesTC

Quote from: purlieu on September 25, 2021, 11:22:02 AM

Chibnall didn't want to waste all of his amazing ideas on novels or audios.

Kelvin

I'd love the next Doctor to played by a big, camp and sexy gay like Olly Alexander, tbh. Continue to shake up what the Doctor can be.

Leo2112

Is Mickey coming back?  Missed him

purlieu

Quote from: JamesTC on September 25, 2021, 01:26:11 PM
Chibnall didn't want to waste all of his amazing ideas on novels or audios.
Ironically, they're the perfect place for stuff like the Timeless Child. If it had been a Big Finish story he could have got it out of his system and everyone would have said "yeah, cool idea" and moved on.

Replies From View

Quote from: Kelvin on September 25, 2021, 02:22:43 PM
I'd love the next Doctor to played by a big, camp and sexy gay like Olly Alexander, tbh. Continue to shake up what the Doctor can be.

How about a fat black sumo wrestler

Replies From View

Quote from: purlieu on September 25, 2021, 02:40:10 PM
Ironically, they're the perfect place for stuff like the Timeless Child. If it had been a Big Finish story he could have got it out of his system and everyone would have said "yeah, cool idea" and moved on.

Alberon

So it looks like the new showrunner announcement was timed for after shooting had finished (presumably on Chibnall's 'specials' for next year). I do wonder if Chibnall has been subject to more managerial oversight for this last season. RTD says he's still a viewer (and Chibnall is great) but, as he's pointed out in the past, he'll cheerfully lie through his teeth if neccessary. Probably wishful thinking, but I'd love it if he's already done some course correction on the series.

Replies From View

At this stage I can only imagine that RTD must have had some influence over series 13 and the course of the Timeless Child.

He wouldn't have been asked to step in, but also patiently wait until Chibnall has finished his own stupid fan fiction trajectory before then fixing it all from scratch in series 14.  He will surely have had an influence over where the playing pieces will he sitting before he fully takes over.  No?  Or am I being too wishful?

Weird we can be having this conversation.  What can we hope for?  The Master was lying?  That's basically it, for me.  The Master was trying to manipulate the Doctor to do something mad, so lied.  Or he was looking at a fake version of the Matrix, or something, and messing around with the Matrix archive could be a bit of a theme but that's it.  Or he misunderstood it because he's a dunce.  Anything.  There's loads of options but I would like something to be spelled out so it doesn't hang over things and get picked up by another hack showrunner further down the line.

McDead

We have to consider the possibility that RTD *likes* the Timeless Child idea. He wasn't above this sort of wankery himself at times - all that "Tempered Schism" bollocks isn't a million miles from it.

purlieu

Honestly, if Chibnall manages to reveal it is all a big Master plot, I'll let him off some. It would be some amazing trolling. Although if that does happen he'll now be fucked off that everyone will assume it was RTD's idea.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Alberon on September 25, 2021, 05:18:10 PM
So it looks like the new showrunner announcement was timed for after shooting had finished (presumably on Chibnall's 'specials' for next year). I do wonder if Chibnall has been subject to more managerial oversight for this last season. RTD says he's still a viewer (and Chibnall is great) but, as he's pointed out in the past, he'll cheerfully lie through his teeth if neccessary. Probably wishful thinking, but I'd love it if he's already done some course correction on the series.

Does this mean RTD will have been on set already with his new Doctor, and filmdd the regeneration?

Mister Six

Quote from: BritishHobo on September 25, 2021, 06:28:00 PM
Does this mean RTD will have been on set already with his new Doctor, and filmdd the regeneration?

Assuming the regeneration happens in the TARDIS (which seems to be the standard way of doing things, as it allows for a closed set and a self-contained scene that doesn't impinge on stories in either direction), they might be able to film that later as a pick-up.

JamesTC

I'm not sure RTD will have had any influence over the Chibnall episodes other than maybe where The Doctor is left at the end of the special (which will almost certainly be in the TARDIS alone).

It doesn't sound like this has been official for very long. Whilst I'm sure discussions have been going on in the background for a while and that Chibnall and RTD would have been talking about it, I don't see RTD making requests of Chibnall before the papers were signed.

JamesTC

Seeing Jodie regenerate is going to be the polar opposite emotional ride from watching Peter regenerated into her. No offence to Jodie, maximum offence to Chibnall.