Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:53:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How do you smoke a cigar?

Started by Chedney Honks, September 25, 2021, 07:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

I've smoked plenty of things in my life but I don't think I ever really got the hang of a cigar, nor the appeal. I still enjoy a fag now and again after a few pints but I was offered an apparently decent cigar recently and turned it down because I just don't enjoy them, nor do I ever feel I am smoking them properly. Normally, I'd accept out of politeness and feel stuck with the bloody thing for half an hour, occasionally lapsing into ciggy technique and regretting it the next day.

Now, the lack of enjoyment is what makes me question my technique but it may well be that the outcome of the action is simply not pleasurable to me and I'm doing it as intended.

I like the smell. Snip the end off. Mmm. Nice. Light the guy, do a load of puffs to get the smoke billowing and set that stogie ablaze. Let's go, baby. We're smoking.

Now what? Draw on it, yep, quite tasty, smells good, but now I feel like I'm holding my breath with all mouthful of quite tasty smoke. Can't breathe in, can't really roll it round my mouth or whatever, feel like I'm halfway through a breath so just blow it back out my mouth in an unsatisfying way. Is that it? My mouth tastes of cigar smoke. OK. Is that the good bit?

The best bit about smoking a fag is the inhalation and exhalation. Draw it in deep, you feel it rushing into your bloodstream and brain, and enjoy a nice deep out breath, relaxing, satisfying for a few peaceful moments before you do it all again.

Cigar. Half a breath, hold it hold it hold it pffffff out you go.

I never learned because I never cared. Now I don't care but I do want to know if there was something to miss.

Dr Rock

Chedney Honks

I heard that's bad for you, basically.

Dr Rock

buttgammon

I sort of swill the smoke around my mouth for a bit before exhaling. The way you light it makes a difference too - good matches help. I've used cheap lighters to relight cigars once or twice and they've immediately given it a petrolly taste.

Aw no, don't do that.

There was a bit on the Frank Skinner radio show where they were trying to think of a cigar smoker in the public eye who wasn't a total cock and it couldn't be done.

Don't force it. Everything's worth trying twice, but it's not you, don't cunt up to meet it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotea cigar smoker in the public eye who wasn't a total cock

It doesn't help that 95% of people in the public eye are total cocks, so when you reduce that to those who primarily smoke cigars then that skews to older men, where an even higher % are total cocks.

Had a few cigars, cigarillos really. Difficult to see the appeal, I agree with Honks. I think I know what I'm doing but then during and after doing it I'm wondering what the fuss is.

Shisha is enjoyable. The ritual, the flavours, the tea, ceremony and social aspect and so forth. Bit of a buzz if you overhonk. Terrible for you and therefore worth doing a couple of times a year max, but it's fun. Not as directly disgusting as cigs or cigars either.

Hopefully when the long term research comes in on vaping it doesn't say LONG QUEUES FOR THE HOSPICE LADS 😂😂🤔

Replies From View

Quote from: buttgammon on September 25, 2021, 09:03:15 AM
I sort of swill the smoke around my mouth for a bit before exhaling.

Get the cancer spores all deep and lovely into your gums lad

Butchers Blind

Tried smoking cigars a couple of times, didn't get it. Not a nice taste and that soggy end, nah.

Replies From View

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on September 25, 2021, 12:52:22 PM
Aw no, don't do that.

There was a bit on the Frank Skinner radio show where they were trying to think of a cigar smoker in the public eye who wasn't a total cock and it couldn't be done.

Don't force it. Everything's worth trying twice, but it's not you, don't cunt up to meet it.

Best thing was Billy Connolly being told by his daughter that when he smoked a cigar he looked like a movie star.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah; Lassie having a shit."

Chedney Honks

Aw no, don't do that.

Absolutely zero interest in smoking a cigar ever again, but just curious looking back whether that was really it.

Never tried shisha but maybe one day. Makes me think of Morocco.

Quote from: Chedney Honks on September 25, 2021, 01:16:20 PMAbsolutely zero interest in smoking a cigar ever again, but just curious looking back whether that was really it.

Good lad. I saw the other thread about screening a film and thought "oh my god, he's gonna become a cigar chomping movie mogul!"
Thought you were making sure you had your technique down for the premiere :D

Vinnie01

I was taught not to take it down or it will choke you.

As friend Marita said back in mid 90s, cigars are not smoked the same way as fags. They are inhaled but not taken down to the lungs.

I not smoked a cigar since then. Considering I relapsed on smoking this year after giving up for 10 years, I have been tempted to smoke a cigar.

paruses

Aw no, don't do that.

I remember that phone-in. Came out of a conversation as "That's today's phone-in: are there any nice cigar smokers? 8-12-15 on the text". I often think of it. The answer is of course: No.

Butchers Blind

What's the concensus on pipe smoking? Thought in a few years I might take that up.

paruses

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 25, 2021, 04:39:02 PM
What's the concensus on pipe smoking? Thought in a few years I might take that up.
I went through a brief period when I was a out 20 as I didn't look a big enough twat. The smell of unburnt pipe tobacco and the ritual of loading the pipe and all the paraphernalia, not to mention going into a proper tobacconist's was great. Sadly it tasted horrible and you didn't even get the hit off it like the first cigarette so it was even more pointless. The second hand smoke did smell better though and didn't seem to have that smell of vomit that fag smoke does.

6/10. Worth trying.

paruses

Am going to say 5/10 as getting up to lighting it is worthwhile then it's a waste of time so it's a dead even 50/50 experience.

Also a right bastard to keep alight.

Jockice

And I've only ever tried it twice. On my 18th birthday and at a wedding about five years later. Although someone had given me a cigar on the new year's eve when I got my back smashed. I'd put it in my jacket pocket but didn't really fancy it while lying in agony on the floor.

I think they're bloody horrible anyway. I don't mind the smell or indeed taste of fags (I don't smoke them all the time but enjoy it when I do), and don't particularly like the smell or taste of dope but quite like the effect. Not that I've had it for a good few years.

But I like nothing about cigars, the very smell of them makes me want to vomit. In fact my worst nightmare is having a close conversation with someone smoking a cigar and drinking whisky who has just had a curry. I'd find it very hard not to puke over them.

Sebastian Cobb

slice with razorblade, scoop out innards, turn into blunt

holdover

As a teen I once went round to a mates room where he and a pal had spent a night playing a whole season of Sensi Soccer. They'd won a league and to celebrate they'd gone to the corner shop and purchased some crappy cigars. They were both sick as dogs as they'd smoked the lot just like fags.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holdover on September 25, 2021, 05:59:12 PM
As a teen I once went round to a mates room where he and a pal had spent a night playing a whole season of Sensi Soccer. They'd won a league and to celebrate they'd gone to the corner shop and purchased some crappy cigars. They were both sick as dogs as they'd smoked the lot just like fags.

A couple of us went through a phase of smoking hamlets and cafe creme when we were teenagers but sacked it off because we realised we looked fucking stupid.

I remember walking past the student halls and once passing a young hobbit-like student pretentiously smoking a pipe while talking to his mate, it took a bit of resolve to not actively smirk at him.

thenoise

touchingcloth

Keebleman

I once went to a fancy dress party dressed as Groucho Marx so bought a cigar for the occasion.  Next day I had a go at smoking it.  I've never smoked cigarettes so I really was starting from a position of total ignorance.  For ages I couldn't get the fucker to even light.  When I'd managed that I took a puff and, well, it wasn't very nice. 

I once saw a coffee-table book about cigars and took a look to see how the author explained the appeal, but he didn't even try.  He just said the novice should "Smile!  You are enjoying one of life's great pleasures!"

They do smell nicer than fags though.

Vinnie01

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 25, 2021, 06:08:08 PM
A couple of us went through a phase of smoking hamlets and cafe creme when we were teenagers but sacked it off because we realised we looked fucking stupid.

I remember walking past the student halls and once passing a young hobbit-like student pretentiously smoking a pipe while talking to his mate, it took a bit of resolve to not actively smirk at him.

I only smoked Cafe Creme, thanks to Marita who introduced me to Cigars when I at her home on that Sunday when I was a teenager. Then later on I bought a pack and smoked them in my bedroom while the parents were on holiday. That was last time I smoked cigars. I certainly not tried them this year after my relapse on smoking in April 2021 after not smoking for 10 years.

Mr Banlon

Try smoking a Romeo y Julieta No3.
They're a decent size, (meaning they're not fuck-off massive 'big shot' cigars that'll make you look like a wanker) and they're as good as a cigar as there is. They're a nice smoke. Anything bigger is shit for cunts, anything cheaper will be horrible, anything more expensive won't be worth it. And take the cigar band off before you smoke one off.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 25, 2021, 06:08:08 PM

Yeah and me. Used the baccy in there to make a joint once circa 2005, I can still taste it. Foul.

I still don't really get cigars, they smell 'orrible and you don't get a buzz, and you keep your mouth closed and feel like a herbert. Smoke a tab, lovely big pull, mmm breathe deep, hold it and feel the bliss, massive exhalation, it's like fucking yoga.

Not smoked cigs in 5 or 6 years at this point, but it was lovely and I'd take it up again if it wasn't very deadly because I enjoyed it. Cigars though? No thanks.