Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:43:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Coogan to play Savile on telly

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, September 26, 2021, 07:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on September 26, 2021, 11:34:11 PM
Making it anime was a bold choice.
Given the subject matter, anime is surely the natural choice. A series that has a male lead who has non-consensual sex with hundreds of underage girls would sell like hotcakes in Japan.

Butchers Blind

How they film this without it looking ridiculous will be interesting at least. He was a caricature of himself almost so how you portray that on screen without it looking like a bad 80's stand-up impression will be difficult. Do you play him without all the tracksuits, 'now then, now then' and 'eurgh, eurgh, eurgh' business? 

Video Game Fan 2000

Do it all digital but film Partidge-Savile on proper 1980s film and superimpose it like the cartoons in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Mr Trumpet

Presumably there's a chilling transition between his public and private persona. Could work well in a Hannibal Lecter way.

Video Game Fan 2000

When Jimmy gets a cheque from the Duke of Edinburgh, an amazing transformation occurs...

Zetetic

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on September 27, 2021, 09:52:35 AM
Any other paedo, we'd toss them out on their arse...
I think there is a "story" that can be told here, but it is an inevitably tricky one to tell.

The extent to which he was enabled is a symptom of the attitudes and conditions found in the institutions that he used - these tolerated and hid abuse of many kinds by many people. Those involved often didn't need an additional incentive beyond their own reputations. These places still exist - a line can be drawn to Whorlton Hall fairly easily.

(There's also something about Paedogeddon and the way that the hysteria it took aim at wasn't about these institutions.)

Jittlebags

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 26, 2021, 02:42:22 PM
Surely in this day and age a CGI Savile would be possible.

That would work nicely as a theatrical release. They could enhance it by wafting the audience with odours redolent of cigar smoke and spunk.

jobotic

The most bizarre (maybe not) thing was that Currie faced no consequences at all, even saying "I have done nothing wrong".

darby o chill

It's all very well but who will play Jim The Pill?
WHO WILL PLAY JIM THE PILL?

Butchers Blind

I'd forgotten about Jim The Pill, although, why would you want to remember him. Surely considering what we know about Savile now, the police at the very least would have a knock on his door with a warrant.

robhug

with Coogan on board presumably doing the voices they've got to make it 99% comedy with maybe a serious bit at the end with the name of all the victims etc

beanheadmcginty

I remember a short while after all this came out there was a website that seriously speculated over whether Jim'll was a malignant interdimensional wizard. They could go for that angle and get the Marvel fans onboard.

batwings

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 27, 2021, 02:45:44 PM
I remember a short while after all this came out there was a website that seriously speculated over whether Jim'll was a malignant interdimensional wizard. They could go for that angle and get the Marvel fans onboard.

Was Jimmy Savile a wizard? V1.0 **FULL DOCUMENTARY** (46 min)
https://youtu.be/-QUuCWNyvv8
(No, by the way, he probably wasn't. Perhaps there's a V2.0 that shows otherwise?)

pigamus

Quote from: batwings on September 27, 2021, 03:17:44 PM
Was Jimmy Savile a wizard? V1.0 **FULL DOCUMENTARY** (46 min)
https://youtu.be/-QUuCWNyvv8
(No, by the way, he probably wasn't. Perhaps there's a V2.0 that shows otherwise?)

Greatest ever use of the word "probably"

Dusty Substance

Fuck me, the absolute shit for brains dummies getting outraged about this on Twitter.

JamesTC

What if Jimmy Savile was a vigilante detective who solved crime?

greenman

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 27, 2021, 05:33:31 PM
Fuck me, the absolute shit for brains dummies getting outraged about this on Twitter.

Seems a bit strange given how many programs about serial killers we see and unlike most of them this actually seems like it might have some purpose to it beyond entertainment.

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 27, 2021, 09:36:31 AM
To be honest I think his reputation has gone downhill since he died.

No, people take him seriously now.  Before, he was just a joke to most.

Butchers Blind

Yeah, it's Jimmy Savile but this time, IN SPACE!

Replies From View

It's quite funny rewatching Steve Coogan relaying all his reasons for choosing to play Stan Laurel, his love and admiration for the man and his work, and pretend that he's talking about Jimmy Savile.

Replies From View

Quote from: JamesTC on September 27, 2021, 05:36:32 PM

He would have been the ideal successor to Dick Van Dyke if they'd decided to keep Diagnosis: Murder going without him.

Quote from: Replies From View on September 27, 2021, 06:56:00 PM
He would have been the ideal successor to Dick Van Dyke

Adopting the name Dick In (Those Who) Died.

chveik

Quote from: greenman on September 27, 2021, 05:56:02 PM
Seems a bit strange given how many programs about serial killers we see and unlike most of them this actually seems like it might have some purpose to it beyond entertainment.

how so? a savile biopic is a terrible idea. at least for serial killers and the like you have a police case to ground the narrative

studpuppet

Quote from: JamesTC on September 27, 2021, 05:36:32 PM

55min show: first 45 in the morgue with the victim, and then ten mins to solve the crime with the help of the Royal Protection Squad or a friend at the Home Office.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: greenman on September 27, 2021, 05:56:02 PM

The reaction is insane. They seem to be under the impression that it's going to portray scenes of actual child r*pe.

Quote from: chveik on September 27, 2021, 08:06:27 PM
how so? a savile biopic is a terrible idea. at least for serial killers and the like you have a police case to ground the narrative

How is it a terrible idea? There's no denying he was a fascinating figure who lead a bizarre life.

Cold Meat Platter

Is he really any worse than Draclea?

Video Game Fan 2000

I think absolutely anything is fair game for fiction but I don't see how a Savile biopic will be anything but either cor! what a creepy freak he was! gawking or bullshit about him getting away with it because he was uniquely power man with the whole establishment at his beck and call. Or likely both.

I confess I used to love the Louis Theroux Savile episode, watched it several times and gawked at the creepy shit with his dead mum and stories of barely concealed sadist violence, found it hilarious when he claimed to have invented rap. But its really shit that appeals to the worst part of the brain. This guy is roundly considered to be a real wrong 'un, lets gawp.

chveik

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 27, 2021, 08:23:23 PM
How is it a terrible idea? There's no denying he was a fascinating figure who lead a bizarre life.

yeah but the biopic form is the worst for saying something of note about that figure. they're going to psychologize it and/or engaging in conspiracy theory shite

get winterbottom in and do it in the style of 24 Hour Party People

kalowski

Quote from: derek stitt on September 26, 2021, 01:52:39 PM
Is that bloke from the Grumbleweeds still alive, he did the best impression of Savile.

I have told thus before but my mum once said that she'd heard that the bloke from The Grumbleweeds was "sonically indistinguishable" from Savile.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 27, 2021, 08:23:23 PM
The reaction is insane. They seem to be under the impression that it's going to portray scenes of actual child r*pe.

I'm sure everyone knows it will be recreated with very good child actors.