Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:09:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Coogan to play Savile on telly

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, September 26, 2021, 07:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on October 21, 2023, 09:04:33 PMDoes anyone remember a TV interview Jarvis Cocker did with Savile at his (Savile's) sinister penthouse? I'm sure I have a memory of watching that, but there's not a trace of it on YouTube. (There is plenty of footage of JC impersonating Rolf Harris on Stars In Their Eyes though, hand goes to chin)

Tie me common people down, sport; tie me common people down.

neveragain

Quote from: Retinend on October 21, 2023, 08:53:47 PMTo stan Theroux, my memory of that broadcast is that it was replete with his caveats that although he was blind to what was in front of him at the time, he was reviewing the outtake footage he had collected with new eyes post-scandal. Am I forgetting bits where he was more self-serving and "I always kinda knew" sort of?

No, his attitude throughout the follow-up was consistently "How didn't I see it?"

Not that I'm giving Theroux any share of the blame (also, I think his doc is very useful and revealing) but he must have suspected a little bit. He did outright ask Savile if he was a paedophile.

kalowski

Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on October 21, 2023, 09:04:33 PMDoes anyone remember a TV interview Jarvis Cocker did with Savile at his (Savile's) sinister penthouse? I'm sure I have a memory of watching that, but there's not a trace of it on YouTube. (There is plenty of footage of JC impersonating Rolf Harris on Stars In Their Eyes though, hand goes to chin)
https://dangerousminds.net/comments/jarvis_cocker_meets_legendary_top_of_the_pops_dj_jimmy_savile
But you're right. The video has been expunged.

Goldentony

I just watched the first documentary Louis did and he basically gets fuck all out of him, even the 'No Tolerance' stuff was after he went to bed and the conversation in the car comes across like Jimmy out of weird riddle nonce mode for a moment to say the same thing he'd usually say in nine paragraphs with a question at the end like a medieval troll

also I feel conflicted to say this is the frist major appearance of a jester clearly in a jester costume on UK television for a while and so in the spirit of the Jester Database UK I will add it

Quote from: Goldentony on October 21, 2023, 09:48:54 PMthe conversation in the car comes across like Jimmy out of weird riddle nonce mode for a moment

When he went 'ho-ho-ho', that, and how low he was in his seat, made him seem like one of the Seven Dwarves in Snow White.

Quote from: kalowski on October 21, 2023, 09:43:57 PMhttps://dangerousminds.net/comments/jarvis_cocker_meets_legendary_top_of_the_pops_dj_jimmy_savile
But you're right. The video has been expunged.

Unfortunately for Jarvis, the Wayback Machine remembers. If you look it up, the whole programme ('Jarvis Cocker's TV Pop Rules') is still available on certain sites too.

Mental selection of old Savile clips to go along with the interview, although I suppose he wouldn't be responsible for choosing those.

And whilst looking for that I did also come across this. Being a part of the BBC's eulogising via his Radio 6 show seems even worse.

Lol, I was just looking at both of those pages. Aha! The Pulp Wiki has some screenshots:

https://www.pulpwiki.net/Jarvis/14July2005JarvisCockersTVPopRules

Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on October 22, 2023, 06:06:23 PMLol, I was just looking at both of those pages. Aha! The Pulp Wiki has some screenshots:

https://www.pulpwiki.net/Jarvis/14July2005JarvisCockersTVPopRules

The Pulp Greatest Hits CD liner notes had some mad essay by Harland Miller calling Jimmy Savile the OG of hip hop or somesuch, cus of the gold bling, trackies and the two turntables thing (which has to be a standard self-aggrandising bit of myth-making eh). Always wondered if that got removed, but I doubt many copies of Pulp's Greatest Hits will have been pressed since the rumours were confirmed so who knows

Dr Rock

Bit late here, but I thought Cooogan did a remarkable job. 

Twonty Gostelow

George White

Quote from: you stole my goddam house on October 24, 2023, 06:50:41 AMThe Pulp Greatest Hits CD liner notes had some mad essay by Harland Miller calling Jimmy Savile the OG of hip hop or somesuch, cus of the gold bling, trackies and the two turntables thing (which has to be a standard self-aggrandising bit of myth-making eh).
He was definitely the first chav, mind.

The Dog

Really looking forward to the sequel.

Mr Banlon

JesusAndYourBush

There's a 'Rolf Harris - In Plain Sight' on ITV next week.

George White

When will we get. Philip Schofield - Hiding in Plain Sight?

Captain Z

The week after is Graham Linehan - Insane Plight

Cerys

And the following week, Gary Glitter: Light in Spain.

Then there'll be Rolf Harris: Try Me Kangaroo Crown Court.

daf

Quote from: Cerys on October 27, 2023, 03:55:38 AMAnd the following week, Gary Glitter: Light in Spain.

I think it was in Spain that - following his release fom his first brief stint at her Majesty's pleasurable luxury Butlins - he went "into hiding" by popping into the local internet cafe every afternoon for a browse under the uncrackable code-name of 'Larry Brilliante'!

jobotic

A Cyril Smith one would be interesting. With the emphasis on how he got away with it rather than his actual paeding please TV producers!

Cerys

Quote from: daf on October 27, 2023, 07:46:29 AMI think it was in Spain that - following his release fom his first brief stint at her Majesty's pleasurable luxury Butlins - he went "into hiding" by popping into the local internet cafe every afternoon for a browse under the uncrackable code-name of 'Larry Brilliante'!

Thankyou for pointing out what my murky implication didn't :)