Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:33:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Coogan to play Savile on telly

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, September 26, 2021, 07:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 27, 2021, 05:33:31 PM
Fuck me, the absolute shit for brains dummies getting outraged about this on Twitter.
I was thinking about these portrayals, amongst others.
Anthony Hopkins: The Bunker
Ian McKellen: Countdown to War
Alec Guinness: Hitler: The Last Ten Days
Robert Carlyle: Hitler: The Rise of Evil
Four randomly chosen performances as Hitler. Wonder if we could have them nowadays.
"I can't believe Alec Guinness thinks it OK to play that Nazi monster. This should finish his career."

Video Game Fan 2000

In Futurama someone built a robot of the Devil, so it didn't surprise me one bit to see Matt Groening on the Epstein flight logs if he thought that's an acceptable thing to do.

studpuppet

Quote from: kalowski on September 27, 2021, 08:56:24 PM
I have told thus before but my mum once said that she'd heard that the bloke from The Grumbleweeds was "sonically indistinguishable" from Savile.

Thing is, you'd think it would have been Graham (right) that did Savile, but I seem to recall that it was Robin (centre) that did him.

At least I know where I'd seen Paddy Considine before he took up serious acting.

Video Game Fan 2000

Do you think if you waltzed into the Holodeck on Star Trek and went "computer show me Fred West with big fake norks dressed in KKK gear" it would whip it up for you or do you think it would immediately alert Captain Kirk and bolt the door behind you

You can get away with anything in a purely fictional universe these days.

pigamus

I agree with chveik, I smell rubbernecking

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 26, 2021, 09:29:50 AM
If anyone's gutted about this it should be Alistair McGowan

Maybe they're saving him for the Stuart Hall biopic  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-9fk63zYnM&t=710s

Hall was another one the BBC turned a blind eye to. Had his own private room at the BBC in Manchester where it was an open secret he entertained women. Gyles Brandreth mentioned it in his diaries (although he didn't name him).
He also took underage girls there on the pretext of mentoring/giving them a tour.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: studpuppet on September 27, 2021, 10:47:57 PM
Thing is, you'd think it would have been Graham (right) that did Savile, but I seem to recall that it was Robin (centre) that did him.

Robin did his Savile impression in a Grumbleweeds sketch alongside Wilf 'Gasmask' Grimshaw (a regular character who wore a - you're way ahead of me - gasmask), only for the gasmask to be taken off to reveal Savile himself. Probably on youtube but I'm off to bed now and I don't want nightmares.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on September 27, 2021, 10:54:03 PM
Do you think if you waltzed into the Holodeck on Star Trek and went "computer show me Fred West with big fake norks dressed in KKK gear" it would whip it up for you or do you think it would immediately alert Captain Kirk and bolt the door behind you

You can get away with anything in a purely fictional universe these days.

I've often wondered if the senior staff would keep an eye on what the crew were doing and if they had any noncery/mass murder holodeck fantasies would do something about it in case it spilled over into real life. I presume there are no laws governing the holodeck but every crew member is told "don't do this, this or this" as it would concern them as to how safe they would be for other crew members. After all it is their workplace so I suppose they can have some restrictions.

It would be a fascinating area for Star Trek to explore. Maybe Lower Decks could do an episode where a crew member keeps using the holodeck as Hitler and the senior staff become concerned.

This assumes that it is possible to monitor what people do on the holodeck, like IT do at work. I think you would need to allow most things on the holodeck, after all real people aren't being harmed but a "no noncery, no sex with animals, no mass murder" rule sounds fair enough.

Zetetic

Unavoidable compulsion to mention TNG: Hollow Pursuits.

Riker: This is a violation of protocol. Crew members should not be simulated on the holodeck.
Geordi: Commander, I don't think there's any regulation against—
Riker: Well, there ought to be.

Would you rather a fellow crew member was sexually violating abusing a child, a horse or a facsimilie of you, Fambo?

Video Game Fan 2000

Computer, lower the age of consent.

With VR and deep fakes becoming more and more commonplace, I wonder if we're just a few years away from a law about digital depictions of real individuals. Not an expert but I'd be surprised if someone's "likeness" covered it all. It's the 1980s where the worst that'd happen is that you're a wrestler and a japanese company steals your image for a videogame character.

pancreas

What if you get the holodeck children to violate you?

Video Game Fan 2000

The new Savile show is going to be a "what if..." scenario where Louis Theroux takes Jimmy to task with probing questions and personal condemnation, telling the disgusting and traumatic story through tasteful flashbacks which are match revealingly to the unflinching and personal questions of Louis interview. Then in the last episode Louis says "computer, freeze program" and its revealed Louis was Riker and he was naked masturbating the entire time

pigamus

Quote from: pancreas on September 28, 2021, 06:31:30 PM
What if you get the holodeck children to violate you?

Labour conference going from bad to worse I see

JamesTC

Butchers Blind

Oh great, Doctor Who references in a Savile thread.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: kalowski on September 27, 2021, 10:06:11 PM
I was thinking about these portrayals, amongst others.
Anthony Hopkins: The Bunker
Ian McKellen: Countdown to War
Alec Guinness: Hitler: The Last Ten Days
Robert Carlyle: Hitler: The Rise of Evil
Four randomly chosen performances as Hitler. Wonder if we could have them nowadays.
"I can't believe Alec Guinness thinks it OK to play that Nazi monster. This should finish his career."

I for one miss the days when Hitler was a figure of fun. Mad bloke mucking about with the Necronomicon and Cthulhu and jetpacks and saucers and wotnot.

Video Game Fan 2000

gilbertharding

Quote from: purlieu on September 27, 2021, 01:23:18 AM
I mean, it's potentially quite brave to do a drama which basically says "we covered up a paedophile's actions for decades," only it won't be that, it'll focus on Savile and his actions. But y'know, good to have a show focus on unpleasantness and not deal with recriminations about those who propped the criminal up.

The fact is, none of what he did was considered wrong at the time. Well - that is to say, none of what people knew he was up to (for a fact - as opposed to the playground rumours) at the time was considered wrong by the people who had the power to stop him. Whether that's because they didn't have the imagination, or thought he was only as 'bad' as they were themselves, or whatever...

Twonty Gostelow

My first thought was that Coogan would be on a hiding to nothing with this role, and maybe he only went for it because Rob Brydon did too.
Any interaction with children will be horrible to watch, so I guess it will be mostly Savile being fawned over by old fools at the BBC, NHS managers and Plod, while nurses and mums try to tell people what he's like but aren't listened to. Probably a few of his crim friends offering to beat people up for him and Gary Glitter popping his head around the door to say hello.

kalowski

buttgammon

I'm just relieved this isn't a Michael Winterbottom vehicle, with meta shots of Coogan putting on his yellow tracksuit off set.

Jittlebags

Jingle, jangle, Jingle, jangle. Eurgh, eurgh.

studpuppet

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on October 13, 2021, 06:24:26 PM
My first thought was that Coogan would be on a hiding to nothing with this role, and maybe he only went for it because Rob Brydon did too.
Any interaction with children will be horrible to watch, so I guess it will be mostly Savile being fawned over by old fools at the BBC, NHS managers and Plod, while nurses and mums try to tell people what he's like but aren't listened to. Probably a few of his crim friends offering to beat people up for him and Gary Glitter popping his head around the door to say HELLO!!! HELLO!!! IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK, GOOD TO BE BACK!!!

FTFY

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: studpuppet on October 13, 2021, 09:14:17 PM
FTFY

I've got Jeff Pope on the line for you.

I've just remembered that a couple of years ago Coogan bought one of the new luxury apartments that are in the converted BBC Television Centre - the building where Savile committed many of his offences. Would that association ever cross your mind if you lived there?

Mr Trumpet

Is Gillian Anderson playing Thatcher again?

Paul Calf

L-R Our US franchise manager, head of UK operations and the big boss man.

Twonty Gostelow

Savile should ideally be played by a joke figure with silly blond hair

who's doesn't mind gurning weirdly for photographers

A thumbs-up patriot.

I'm joking of course.

El Unicornio, mang

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/tv/steve-coogan-jimmy-savile-documentary-21981384

Saw some comments on Facebook ads for the Partridge live tour thing, saying they're not going because of him doing this. Christ alive.

And the comments on that link. British people have such a weird attitude to anything related to paedophiles.