Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:16:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Coogan to play Savile on telly

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, September 26, 2021, 07:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SOMK

Re getting away with it.

The corridors of power do not select for boat rockers, they actively select against it. This is often how vicious, bullying, idiots end up as line managers, or middle management. Sociopaths trust other sociopaths, or assume everyone else thinks like them and so select for sociopaths thinking them if not normal and honest then at least relatable. Extreme wealth is also known to actively create anti social tendencies in people (in experiments where people are given varying amounts of money in games of chance the ones who are given the most despite it being random are more likely to self-justify, the rich give proportionally much less to charity than the poor and more commonly hold racist/eugenicist views, so-called philanthropy mostly goes to institutions that re-enforce class power, universities, museums etc.).

Plus elitist power structures are maintained not through meritocracy, but the same way as if you were defending a castle from an invading horde, its the old boy network who went to the right school and so on (there was a book a while ago called "the son also rises' that shows that essentially you can trace most Oxbridge graduates lineage back to the Norman invasion, even in revolutions these people generally end up running the show once the dust settles) and they are very careful about letting outsiders in (though they know they have to let a few in so it doesn't look completely rigged and my word do they make a noise about it when they do). The only time ever people of significant power will get called out is when they have gotten separated enough from power to be worth throwing under the bus, Harvey Weinstein, Cosby, Marlyn Manson, Saville, Epstein etc.

When you have massive power inequalities where middle aged men (and to a lesser degree women) hold the reigns of power and hoards of young people desperately hoping for that one lucky break, you're going to get career favours for sexual favours, hell it's why most Hollywood executives become Hollywood executives, they'd make way more money on Wall Street, but 19 year old women dream about becoming actresses, singers and TV presenters not Stock Brokers. Plus like all good groomers they 'interview' their victims beforehand, selecting for the ones they know won't tell.

Quote"Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all."

-Adam Smith

That instinctive protective reflex of the state, extends to those who have status or power just as much as those who have property.

It is perfectly 'natural', indeed instinctive because of the nature of the thing for the state and other such mechanisms of power is to help and enable such monsters like Saville, he is merely the most vulgar of his kind, you can be almost certain there are ones far more subtle and cleverer than he was (not that they would have to be to be protected either) we'll never know about, Saville likely rose to the top exactly because the powers that be saw him as "one of them".

Not that everyone in power is a massive sociopath (but then the percentage doesn't have to be very high for such a clique to be effective, its next to impossible to get ahead in the media or arts without being a member of a clique unless you're stinking rich and if you're stinking rich you'll have no problem finding a clique that'll have you), but the ones that aren't literally can't imagine the possibility of it, because the only way you can imagine the possibility of it is if you're a perpetrator, a victim or have had people close to you as victims. Like for decades in Ireland people literally couldn't imagine the notion of a priest being a child rapist, the image almost had to become cliché before it became widely accepted and even then fuck all was actually done.

Ferris

Large institutions in general self-select for limited change.

Who wants to be the person at [government department] who suggests doing a huge, transformative project? You can't be taken seriously; serious people suggest an incremental tiny project then knock off for the day cos it's not worth it, is it eh?

As a result, governments and large public entities tend to do boring things that effect minimal change due to a problem of their power structures, and services stay as they are or degrade (or sometimes, incrementally improve incredibly slowly).

Alternatively, a huge transformative project is announced, but only because it's been suggested by someone with significant organizational power. In a Westminster system or strong hierarchical entity with turnover at the top like the beeb, that means it's been suggested by someone who hasn't a clue what they're doing or what the service needs or is capable of, so at best it's neutral, at worst it's a disaster. Garden bridge, for example.

I could bang on about this for hours, but no one cares. For the record, I think the answer is a strong technocratic branch to one side of the hierarchy that liaises with the business, and provides guidance to management but that will never happen because people are people so get ready for this to keep happening forever.

Lemming

Fucking hell someone's taking the piss with those captions:
"Running away: Making a lucky escape, the young actress ran away from her co-star in tears"
"Pointing: Before grabbing the young woman, Coogan exchanged heated words with the actress, even pointing his finger in her face"
"Menacing: Coogan walked towards the young actress in a menacing manner"
"Emotional: Donning an identical replica of one of Savile's famed tracksuits, a young actress clutching a duvet put on an emotional display as she struggled to escape Coogan's grasp"
"Filming: Coogan looked eerily like Savile, who died aged 84 in 2011, as he approached a young woman sleeping rough and proceeded to grope her after spotting her while out jogging"

Doing absolutely everything they can to make it sound as though Coogan actually attacked another actor on-set, unscripted.

Hate to say it given the subject matter, but after seeing those pictures, I'm convinced this is going to be one of the funniest things ever broadcast on TV.

El Unicornio, mang

Yeah, I can't help seeing Partridge in some of those pics

"you go careful there my love"

Bigfella

I don't think I'll be watching this.  I like Coogan and I'm sure it's been made with the best of intentions, but I feel as though I've been punched in the guts just imagining it. 

Butchers Blind

As long as it shows Savile fucking a corpse, I'll be happy.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

"PLEASE, though! .... PLEASE though!"

kalowski

Cuellar

"Lynn I've pierced a corpse on me cooock"

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Bigfella on April 04, 2022, 06:01:19 PMI don't think I'll be watching this.  I like Coogan and I'm sure it's been made with the best of intentions, but I feel as though I've been punched in the guts just imagining it. 

I think the most off-putting thing, aside from the horrendous stuff he did, is the fact that he spent his whole life doing whatever the fuck he wanted without anyone who could stop him (or the general public) knowing, got paid shitloads and adored by millions, then was just dead one day at a ripe old age. It's a Savile success story, there's no him going to jail or getting nonce bashed or anything that's going to make people feel justice was done. His grave being vandalised might be about it. People don't like that.

Zetetic

Plenty of people who could stop him knew, just as people in similar positions of power know about others now.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Lemming on April 04, 2022, 05:36:09 PMFucking hell someone's taking the piss with those captions:
"Running away: Making a lucky escape, the young actress ran away from her co-star in tears"
"Pointing: Before grabbing the young woman, Coogan exchanged heated words with the actress, even pointing his finger in her face"
"Menacing: Coogan walked towards the young actress in a menacing manner"
"Emotional: Donning an identical replica of one of Savile's famed tracksuits, a young actress clutching a duvet put on an emotional display as she struggled to escape Coogan's grasp"
"Filming: Coogan looked eerily like Savile, who died aged 84 in 2011, as he approached a young woman sleeping rough and proceeded to grope her after spotting her while out jogging"

Doing absolutely everything they can to make it sound as though Coogan actually attacked another actor on-set, unscripted.

Hate to say it given the subject matter, but after seeing those pictures, I'm convinced this is going to be one of the funniest things ever broadcast on TV.

You missed the best one: "Uncanny:the similarities were uncanny"

imitationleather

Out of all the Savile impersonators I've seen since 2011, I'm afraid Coogan only gets a 4/10 from me.

It's a crowded market and there's people out there really putting the hours in and knocking it out of the park. Steve looks like he's barely trying to resemble him. Sad.

neveragain

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 04, 2022, 07:33:38 PMIt's a Savile success story, there's no him going to jail or getting nonce bashed or anything that's going to make people feel justice was done. His grave being vandalised might be about it.

Given that it's called The Reckoning, I'm so sure I would almost put money down that it will end with fictionalised justice doled out towards Savile.

imitationleather

The Reckoning refers to the ending where the BBC is found guilty for covering up his crimes for decades and the whole network shuts down forever when the drama finishes.

Uncle TechTip

It's the easiest impression to do, as well. You just put in a tracksuit and go, "jingle jangle jewellery uh-uhhh"

Maybe the drama will explore some of these topics like getting away with it in plain sight. Let's wait and see as I think we can trust this writing/performing partnership. I'm waiting for Ballad's considered review.

rilk

I'm looking forward to the Rolf one, the Stuart Hall one, the Fred Talbot etc. Then they all join together in a couple of years. Yewtree Cinematic Universe

PaulTMA

He looks more like a bleached, clean-shaven Barry Chuckle

imitationleather

It looks like he's wearing a false chin like Kevin Eldon as Rod Hull in Fist of Fun.

Would love to hear Coogan do the fake Rod Hull voice.

Butchers Blind

Will they recreate that bit in Jim Will Fix It where the scouts eat their sandwiches on the rollercoaster. That was fun.

Wasn't Matt Lucas one of those scouts? No wonder he lost his hair.

Butchers Blind

Also, who's playing Jim 'The Pill'?

kalowski

Buelligan

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 04, 2022, 07:33:38 PMI think the most off-putting thing, aside from the horrendous stuff he did, is the fact that he spent his whole life doing whatever the fuck he wanted without anyone who could stop him (or the general public) knowing, got paid shitloads and adored by millions, then was just dead one day at a ripe old age. It's a Savile success story, there's no him going to jail or getting nonce bashed or anything that's going to make people feel justice was done. His grave being vandalised might be about it. People don't like that.

I didn't know what he'd done but every time someone acts like I'm overly suspicious of the privileged, like I ought to trust the promoted heroes of our glorious brave society more, I remember when I got pilloried, online, before he died, for saying that man was serving me total evil vibes.  Sometimes it is best to trust your instincts.

popcorn

Quote from: Buelligan on April 05, 2022, 01:58:13 PMI didn't know what he'd done but every time someone acts like I'm overly suspicious of the privileged, like I ought to trust the promoted heroes of our glorious brave society more, I remember when I got pilloried, online, before he died, for saying that man was serving me total evil vibes.  Sometimes it is best to trust your instincts.

A lot of the time it really fucking isn't though.

Buelligan

A lot of the time we don't need or have to rely on instict.  A huge amount of the time all the facts are laid out bare. 

batwings

Can't quite belive this is a real thing or will actually get shown on telly.