Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:58:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A new 'surprized by the appearance of' thread.

Started by Glebe, September 28, 2021, 05:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Quote from: SteveDave on October 23, 2021, 10:18:05 AMLou Beale in "Xtro"

As previously mentioned, Howard from Last of the Summer Wine (Robert Fyfe) plays a doctor in that, but if we're talking Enders folk, Laila Morse who played Mo Harris (thanks, Google) pops up in the 2019 Hellboy reboot. She's Gary Oldman's sister actually.

SteveDave

Quote from: Glebe on October 23, 2021, 07:18:28 PM
As previously mentioned, Howard from Last of the Summer Wine (Robert Fyfe) plays a doctor in that, but if we're talking Enders folk, Laila Morse who played Mo Harris (thanks, Google) pops up in the 2019 Hellboy reboot. She's Gary Oldman's sister actually.

Also, Mehmet ("Ali pliss") as the doctor in "Halloween" from 2018

George White

Quote from: Ignatius_S on October 05, 2021, 06:05:45 PM
And one whose similarity to The Prize of Peril is totally coincidental!
Talking of the Prize of peril, that has an appearance by AUbergine off A View to A Kill.

RE:Enders, MUrder by Decree has June Brown as Annie Chapman (also played by Barbara Windsor less convincingly in the other Holmes vs Ripper film A Study in Terror), plus Peter "Ello, Treacle" Dean and Lord Michael Cashman as coppers.
And forum fave Ron Pember as an analogue of  George Lusk.

George White

Quote from: Spiteface on October 20, 2021, 04:30:52 PM
Reece Shearsmith as a priest in Venom: Let There Be Carnage
And Christopher Godwin, Beale from the Porridge film and Garden and Oddie's Astronauts too.

Talking of soaps, Uncle Umed off Coronation Street c.2009 is in Eternals as the Bollywood agent character.

George White

Quote from: Ignatius_S on October 05, 2021, 05:51:45 PM
Think everything that I've seen Stanley Lebor in, he was very good - one performance that sticks in my mind is from The Naked Civil Servant (and as Roger Lloyd-Pack has been mentioned, need to namecheck him in that as well).

Can't remember the name, but there's a 1970s thriller that had Lebor and Peter Egan in (and Patrick Stewart).
Hennessy - Lebor is one of Eric Porter's Provos.
While Patrick Stewart is a dissident Republican with a shite accent.
Egan is a Scotland Yard man.

BeardFaceMan

It was surprising seeing Martin Starr in Dead Snow 2, mainly because I thought it was going to be a Norwegian film like the first one. He's not quite A List but it was still surprising seeing such a big American name in a European genre flick.

Glebe

Not really surprising maybe but I was watching the original Six Dates with Barker version of 'The Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town' on YT the other day and John Sharp, who plays the Maître D' in Top Secret! plays the Butler among several other roles.

George White

He was also in quite a few Italian films, he's the villain in a Spencer and Hill pic.
Also played Betty Turpin's brother in law Les.

Glebe

Quote from: George White on November 19, 2021, 09:14:19 AMHe was also in quite a few Italian films, he's the villain in a Spencer and Hill pic.
Also played Betty Turpin's brother in law Les.

Also recall spotting him in The Avengers.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Glebe on November 19, 2021, 06:35:58 AMNot really surprising maybe but I was watching the original Six Dates with Barker version of 'The Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town' on YT the other day and John Sharp, who plays the Maître D' in Top Secret! plays the Butler among several other roles.

Never knew that existed, thanks for that. the face of the blower is pretty scary for a comedy (this used to scare the shit out of me watching the Ronnies)

Glebe

Quote from: jamiefairlie on November 20, 2021, 04:37:49 AMNever knew that existed, thanks for that. the face of the blower is pretty scary for a comedy (this used to scare the shit out of me watching the Ronnies)

Yeah weird lookin' face! Written by Spike Milligan of course, it's wonderfully surreal. I think The Two Rons version may be a little more polished.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

watching Survivors on britbox at the minute and it's a non stop parade of "oh it's ____!"

young Roger Lloyd Pack, old Sydney Tafler. all the stars!

ElTwopo

Anyone ever mentioned Mark Heap in Octopussy? Seen very briefly as a fire juggler:

https://youtu.be/PBYFFyFOpxw?t=175

Mr Banlon

Trigger as assassin 'Mank Urquhart' in The Professionals

SteveDave

"The Electrical Life Of Louis Wain" is pretty much all "Oh look it's Richard Ayoade!" "Oh look it's Stath!" "Oh look it's him from the worst (Dave) series of "Taskmaster"!"

George White

Quote from: Mr Banlon on November 22, 2021, 01:18:25 AM
Also pops up as a Cuban in Richard Lester's Cuba
He's in the Magus as young Anthony Quinn in flashbacks.

Glebe

Quote from: ElTwopo on November 21, 2021, 10:19:25 PMAnyone ever mentioned Mark Heap in Octopussy? Seen very briefly as a fire juggler:

https://youtu.be/PBYFFyFOpxw?t=175

No way! That's pretty astonishing. According to Wiki he was born in India.

Rizla

Mank Urquhart? Manc Our Kid more like!

monkfromhavana

Pierce Brosnan in The Professionals as a radio operator.
Moxey from Auf Wiedersehen Pet in Batman
Arnie in The Long Goodbye playing a mute henchman (and credited as "Arnold Strong" in the err.. credits)
Amanda Hillwood (Brief Morse pathologist and love interest in 'A Very Peculiar Practice' as a flight attendant in Die Hard 2: Die Harder.
Jude Law in "The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes", Orlando Bloom in Midsomer Murders.

monkfromhavana

He's "Ramos" and is dubbed in The Professionals. He doesn't make a very convincing hitman.

George White

The Professionals is full of familiar British character thesps playing dodgy foreigners.
There's an early ep about a Baader-Meinhof proxy, the Meyer-Helmut gang, who include David Bradley as 'Tony Kristo'. I don't think he is dubbed.

jobotic

Quote from: monkfromhavana on November 24, 2021, 08:50:04 AMHe's "Ramos" and is dubbed in The Professionals. He doesn't make a very convincing hitman.

Would have been good in a Velvet Underground biopic though. Play it cool Trig

Mr Banlon

Quote from: monkfromhavana on November 24, 2021, 08:50:04 AMHe's "Ramos" and is dubbed in The Professionals. He doesn't make a very convincing hitman.
That's definitely a Mank Urquart.

Glebe

Interesting to see the young David Bradley there!

George White

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwXKvZWjHC4 Clarke Peters played the President of some African state in a Professionals. Also Charles Dance looking like Roddy Llewelyn, as a Sarth Ifrikan mirceniree.

A young Sylvester Stallone as a thug in an early Woody Allen film (Bananas?)

monkfromhavana

Quote from: George White on November 24, 2021, 12:18:23 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwXKvZWjHC4 Clarke Peters played the President of some African state in a Professionals. Also Charles Dance looking like Roddy Llewelyn, as a Sarth Ifrikan mirceniree.

I like the one where Duncan "Dinnerladies" Preston plays a menacing thug.

The Culture Bunker

As I remember, it's dubbed to the point of being so obvious it's comical, though I did wonder if Lloyd-Pack had to go back and read the lines again or they roped in someone else to do the dodgy (East European?) accent.

I think there's an episode of the Professionals were David Suchet plays the head of a mercenary group offering his team's services to some big-time crime boss played by... Geoffrey Palmer.

There was also one featuring a slightly unhinged colleague of Bodie and Doyle who (at least in my memory) looked the spit of Malcolm MacDonald, but presumably wasn't.

George White

I am 99 per cent sure the guy dubbing Lloyd-Pack is the king of dubbing, Robert Rietty, a prolific on-screen actor (he's one of the monks in the Omen who reveals to Peck and Warner the disfigured Father Spilletto), but best known voice-wise dubbing Largo in Thunderball.