Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:57:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee on the "Word in your Ear" Zoom thing

Started by Mobbd, September 29, 2021, 04:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

This is enjoyable!

I'm 13 mins in, glued to it, and he's currently showing off some Napalm Death demo tapes from their school days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7lOJUYSY9c

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I particularly enjoyed Stew's self-deprecating analysis of his absurdly convoluted filing system. Quite sweet really, as that's exactly the sort of thing you'd expect Stewart Lee to do. Nerdy pedantry taken to extremes.

non capisco

Dunno if it's just the loss of the big Orson Welles type beard but Stew's looking well on that video.

Mobbd

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 29, 2021, 08:10:34 PM
I particularly enjoyed Stew's self-deprecating analysis of his absurdly convoluted filing system. Quite sweet really, as that's exactly the sort of thing you'd expect Stewart Lee to do. Nerdy pedantry taken to extremes.

Me too. Let's get this down:

1. Things from Liverpool (inc. Echo & the Bunneymen, Shack, It's Immaterial, The Boo Radleys, but no The Beatles)

2. Post-punk and C86 and the start of Creation [Records] and Shoegazing stuff (but this is not called Post-punk)

3. Post-punk (inc. The Waterboys and XTC)

4. Punk

5. Power Pop (British and American)

6. American Garage Punk

7. British and Irish Garage Punk

8. Texas ('60s Psychedelia inc. The 13th Floor Elevators, Bubble Puppy, Black Angels)

9. California Punk (inc. The Cramps).

Stew describes his own system as the work of "someone who is frightened of losing control and [of] the world and is desperate to impose order on it but, actually, revealed within that, is an unmanageable chaos which is even worse."

Personally it reminds me of the Celestial Emporium of Benevolent Knowledge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestial_Emporium_of_Benevolent_Knowledge

SteveDave

If you think about it, all music made after 1977 is post-punk. "You Win Again" by the Bee Gees- Post-Punk. "Circle In The Sand" by Belinda Carlisle- Post-Punk. That Drake song- Post-Punk. This is the reasoning I used last weekend when I was asked to DJ Post-Punk.

Custard

Watched this the other day. It's very good. As others have said, I love Lee's convoluted filing system and how he knows it's running away from him

I love these Word In The Ear podcasts, but I wish the two hosts, Mark Ellen and David Hepworth, would occasionally shut up a bit and let the guest talk. They have a habit of talking over people and each other, and it can get annoying and sometimes kill the flow

Small gripes really, as it really is an enjoyable watch. Lee enjoying himself is always fun to see, and yeah he's looking pretty spiffy for his age

But that filing system? Pangs of OCD and anxiety, even thinking about it!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 01, 2021, 09:47:49 AM

I love these Word In The Ear podcasts, but I wish the two hosts, Mark Ellen and David Hepworth, would occasionally shut up a bit and let the guest talk. They have a habit of talking over people and each other, and it can get annoying and sometimes kill the flow

I think it's the Zoom platform where this happens for any podcast. It's always better if everybody is in a room together to have a natter. I think Hepworth should sit up straight though. He'll be getting a Dowager's Hump by the time he hits seventy.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 01, 2021, 02:51:09 PM
Dowager's Hump
"And there'll be one more from them at the end of tonight's show."  (I am a hack.)

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on October 01, 2021, 03:14:38 PM
"And there'll be one more from them at the end of tonight's show."  (I am a hack.)

Well, I laughed.

SpiderChrist

I fucking hate David Hepworth. Smug cunt.

Morning.

Pauline Walnuts

I wish that one with the tiny shoulders would stop doing that double arm raise thing, the camera angle dosn't help but it makes him look like a right muppet, a literal, not metaphorical one.

Pauline Walnuts

It kinda surprised me that they were so Boomerish, not so much saying our generations music was the best, and everything new is a pale copy, but more that The Beatles were the best and everything else is a pale copy of it.

Which is fair enough, I guess, it's like your opinion and all, but not for people who presented a music show in the 1980s.

Maybe that's why the Old Grey Whistle Test was so bland? See also Kershaw saying that the Smiths were the only band of the 80s that would would stand the test of time, when you're presenting a new music show in the 80s.

People listen to Dinosaur Jr. not because they like it, but because they want to show how much they don't like Dire straits, Jesus...

SpiderChrist

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on October 03, 2021, 09:23:56 AM
It kinda surprised me that they were so Boomerish, not so much saying our generations music was the best, and everything new is a pale copy, but more that The Beatles were the best and everything else is a pale copy of it.

Which is fair enough, I guess, it's like your opinion and all, but not for people who presented a music show in the 1980s.

Maybe that's why the Old Grey Whistle Test was so bland? See also Kershaw saying that the Smiths were the only band of the 80s that would would stand the test of time, when you're presenting a new music show in the 80s.

People listen to Dinosaur Jr. not because they like it, but because they want to show how much they don't like Dire straits, Jesus...

Hepworth wrote a book about 1971 that stated as fact that the best year for recorded music ever was 1971. Not an opinion, according to Hepworth, but a fact.

Notwithstanding my dislike of people who are always so certain about everything, this is just reducing the most primal and subjective of art forms to a competition, like banging on about the best drummer or the best bassist. It's bollocks mate.

Also, I remember seeing Hepworth introduce Aswad as "a band i consider to be one of the finest on the planet" like we were supposed to be impressed "wow this Aswad lot must be good, cos David Hepworth likes them". Fucking arrogant prick.

Hepworth is a talented writer but clearly has an ego the size of Belgium. Even the position of his camera (oooh look at all my records) just screams "cunt". Oohifuckinghatehimimoffforaliedown.

Magnum Valentino

I'm nearly sure 1971 has been discussed on here before by at least a few people who agree with your man that it is indisputably the best year (the way people also seem to talk about Woody Allen films as though they're objectively good).

Custard

Hepworth doesn't come across that smug or unlikeable to me, and I've watched loads of their video podcasts

He just genuinely believes the Beatles was the perfect musical career and story, and that nothing else really gets close. It can get tiresome if he continually farts on about them though. Didn't he even write a book called The Beatles Are Underated?

The records behind are more cos it's the Word In Your Attic interview, so he's up in his attic (or a room upstairs), and apparently that's where all his records are. I don't see that as cunty, more a nice visual for the type of people who watch these. It's never even entered my head that he's in some way showing off

He does need to sit up straight though. He looks like a crumpled accordion

Neomod

I must admit to unsubscribing from A Word in Your Ear when Hepworth went off on one about cancel culture or something in that vein.

Will still watch the occasional Word in Your Attic if the guest intrigues me.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 03, 2021, 11:45:34 AM

The records behind are more cos it's the Word In Your Attic interview, so he's up in his attic (or a room upstairs), and apparently that's where all his records are. I don't see that as cunty, more a nice visual for the type of people who watch these. It's never even entered my head that he's in some way showing off

Wish he'd line up those ones on the right, they're way they're leaning over leading to potential bending is setting off something I'd rather not know about in my mind.

Custard

He's mentioned that room is actually filled with records, so they're by every wall. He's even worried that the sheer weight will eventually destroy his house

He's also said he got most of them free, what with being a writer an all. But yeah, his poor kids when he carks it, sorting through all that. Better set up their eBay or Discogs accounts now

Mobbd

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 03, 2021, 11:45:34 AM
Hepworth doesn't come across that smug or unlikeable to me, and I've watched loads of their video podcasts

He just genuinely believes the Beatles was the perfect musical career and story, and that nothing else really gets close. It can get tiresome if he continually farts on about them though. Didn't he even write a book called The Beatles Are Underated?

He does need to sit up straight though. He looks like a crumpled accordion

Yeah, I think I he's quite likable to be honest. Obviously he's one of those "collecting and knowing everything is my form of masculinity" types, a "smartest man in the pub" type maybe, but you know that going in. He didn't say or do anything in this video that struck me as cunty. I liked his enthusiasm.

EDIT: I suppose Hepworth made motions to talk over his guest a couple of times but couldn't compete with Stew's ability to own a room[nb]Stew has a very polite but commanding way of shutting people down so he can carry on talking. I listened to him on Sue Perkins' podcast and when she chipped in with her own "I've had an experience like that too" sort of thing, Stew said "oh, I didn't know that" in a barely-interested way and carried on with his story without letting Sue get beyond her interjection/segue; it really made me laugh.[/nb]; with a quieter or less strong-willed guest I imagine that could be annoying.

PaulTMA

I remember listening to a podcast of theirs because Neil Tennant was a guest and I couldn't get through it, it sounded just like the two hosts heavily compressed shouting over each other and it was sheer torture.   This was much more pleasant though!

Custard

Yeah, I think you need to be a strong personality type to really get a word in with them sometimes

It's weird cos the YouTube comments usually involve at least one person politely asking them to please reign it in and let the guest talk more. But they don't really seem to listen, as they do the same thing the next episode

Maybe it's the years of being magazine writers and editors which forced them to battle to get their point across, I dunno. It's not like they don't have experience in TV presenting and interviewing guests

Pauline Walnuts

I listened to a podcast thingy on YouTube, and despite the fact it was only the two of them, they were still talking over each other, it was weird, like they never learnt how communication between humans work.  At one point one was rambling on, asked a question, then kept on rambling without pausing for breath.