Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:31:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Seinfeld is on Netflix UK

Started by Mobbd, October 01, 2021, 01:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

QDRPHNC

Quote from: JamesTC on October 01, 2021, 01:42:45 PM
What's the deal with Netflix?

They probably secured the UK broadcast rights for a limited period of time.

Magnum Valentino

What is the origin of this as a reaction, generally? Did the Simpsons do it?

gilbertharding

Was going to start a thread called 'Seinfeld is off All4 in UK'.

poodlefaker

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 01, 2021, 01:44:59 PM
What's the deal with "What's the deal"? Are you what's the dealing What's the deal now? You can't what's the deal what's the deal, what are you, crazy?
Oh, I'm what's the dealin' it, baby.

gilbertharding

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: poodlefaker on October 01, 2021, 02:42:48 PM
What's the deal with "What's the deal"? Are you what's the dealing What's the deal now? You can't what's the deal what's the deal, what are you, crazy?
Oh, I'm what's the dealin' it, baby.

You know who came up with that? Bob Sacamano.

Blue Jam

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/netflix-lands-seinfeld-rights-losing-friends-office-1239934/

Been looking forward to watching it without All4's interminable ad breaks and that bug where the programme goes back to the start after the ad break.

$500 million is prettay, prettay, prettay good. I wonder if they'll get Curb next? NOW TV doesn't seem to have a long term deal for that, it just comes and goes periodically.

JamesTC

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 01, 2021, 01:44:59 PM

I assumed it would have been The Simpsons but I looked at all Seinfeld references, and it isn't there.

Must have been something I watched as a child. Long before I saw Seinfeld, the one thing I knew about Jerry Seinfeld was that he was the "what's the deal with airplane food" guy.

Blue Jam

QDRPHNC

Quote from: JamesTC on October 01, 2021, 03:43:07 PM
I assumed it would have been The Simpsons but I looked at all Seinfeld references, and it isn't there.

Must have been something I watched as a child. Long before I saw Seinfeld, the one thing I knew about Jerry Seinfeld was that he was the "what's the deal with airplane food" guy.

It think it's a just a stereotype that goes back to the beginning of his career as a conservative observational comedian. His style was lampooned directly on the show itself once or twice, wasn't it?

And when Howard Stern did his Seinfeld impression (which is pretty good), he'd always start with "What's the deal", so that might have helped cement it in peoples' heads.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: JamesTC on October 01, 2021, 03:43:07 PM

According to a bloke on Quora, and who am I to argue, it originates from an SNL sketch featuring guest star Jerry Seinfeld from 1992.

Quote:

"American stand-up comedian and actor Jerry Seinfeld hosted the television show Saturday Night Live on April 18, 1992, and a sketch involved him hosting the game show "Stand-Up and Win" with three comedian contestants. From the SNL transcript:

Bobby Wheat: [ runs onstage ] Hey! How's everybody doin'? Welcome to "Stand-Up & Win", where stand-ups compete for big money! Contestants – thanks for makin' it! Are you ready to play? [ the three stand-up contestants sound their eagerness ] Okay! Hands on buzzers, here's our opening question: "What's the Deal with Airplane Food?" [ Billy buzzes in ] Billy!
Billy: I know! Could this stuff taste any worse? It's, like, 'Thanks, but no thanks. I'm still stuffed from that huge bag of smoked almonds!'

"What's the deal with airplane food?" (or "What's the deal with airline food?") became a stand-up comedy meme and a Seinfeld meme. Airplane food—as most everyone can relate—is usually awful. "What's the deal with airplane peanuts?" was asked on the television show Seinfeld, on May 15, 1997."

gilbertharding

EDIT read the post properly you twat.

up_the_hampipe

I guess I'd better make my third attempt to understand why this show is so popular.

Gurke and Hare

poodlefaker

"What's the deal" came from the show itself. It's how the others take the piss out of Jerry' act. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B-b4yw1_jw

Blue Jam

DrGreggles

Quote from: poodlefaker on October 01, 2021, 04:23:40 PM
"What's the deal" came from the show itself. It's how the others take the piss out of Jerry' act. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B-b4yw1_jw

"Have you ever noticed..." too.

As featured in one of my favourite scenes.
https://youtu.be/GRRix62Xgx4

sutin

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 01, 2021, 04:05:17 PM
I guess I'd better make my third attempt to understand why this show is so popular.

By being the funniest American sitcom of all time.

Magnum Valentino

Is it 4:3 or cropped like it was on Prime?

JamesTC

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 01, 2021, 05:04:16 PM

Cropped to widescreen. Also will have moments in which we see more on the left and right of the picture. The show has been rebuilt in HD so they have will have reframed every shot.

I'll stick with the DVDs myself. A shame as I'd like to watch in HD but between the cropping and the lack of Notes About Nothing text track, it just isn't a better experience.

Blue Jam

Quote from: sutin on October 01, 2021, 04:56:07 PM
By being the funniest American sitcom of all time.

:-p

You may find this a more helpful explanation, hampipe:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny

sutin

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 01, 2021, 05:29:06 PM
:-p

You may find this a more helpful explanation, hampipe:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny

Very interesting. Seinfeld's still the best TV show ever though.

Milo

It's being shown as 4k HDR on mine. It's the weirdest thing.

Blue Jam

Quote from: sutin on October 01, 2021, 05:36:21 PM
Very interesting. Seinfeld's still the best TV show ever though.

Personally I absolutely love it, but I can understand why other people don't. Especially if they're comedy fans who may be a bit too familiar with the work of Graham Linehan all the other comedy writers whose work it has influenced.

mjwilson

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 01, 2021, 05:04:16 PM

Apparently an episode about a pothole is screwed up in widescreen (the pothole is missing).