Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:07:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Robert Webb on Strictly

Started by poodlefaker, October 03, 2021, 09:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: mjwilson on October 22, 2021, 06:44:55 PM
"people are racist but we shouldn't call that racism"?
Sad thing is, what can we do about it, other than ban people from voting if they don't have any Bernardine Evaristo books. Or if they voted for Margaret Atwood on the Booker Prize committee.

I'm sure they try to choose obnoxious white people, and everything.

olliebean

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 22, 2021, 12:55:33 PM
Like I say, I don't doubt for a minute there is a sizeable proportion of racists - both conscious and unconscious - among the British population, but I think it's a category error to label that phenomenon racist.

Again: people are just voting for their favourites. I don't know if it's a recognised psychological phenomenon, but don't people generally like people who they think are like them? If so, that will disadvantage members of a visible minority. Not saying it's right, you understand - or something which didn't need redressing in the weighting of votes to judges scores - just that it's not racism, as such.

Or have I just defined structural racism? Probably, eh?

*presses post*

So favouring people who you judge as being like yourself, with the basis of that judgement being whether they are the same race as you, isn't racism? "As such?" Sorry, I don't think I can come along with you on that line of reasoning.

mothman

I think what we're saying is that the end result of the competition on any given week would appear to suggest some sort of racist behaviour, but it's hard to properly explain how that (racist) end result could perpetrated by racists.

Disclaimer: I am drunk tonight. I'm normally to all intents and purposes teetotal. So I've no idea what we're saying.

mothman

Huh, I don't even remember posting that. But this week we have a case in point. Rhys Stephenson, who was sixth in the judges' vote (and is black), is in the bottom two. Meaning more people voted for Dan Walker, Adam Peaty and Sara Davies who got less votes from the judges (and are all white). Now Peaty and Davies are obviously popular, so it's perhaps not surprising. But some BBC Breakfast presenter you forget about while he's on TV in front of you?

Yes, Ugo Monye is also black, but was bottom of the leader board and has been on borrowed time as he's just not that good a dancer.

Again, hard to conclusively put this down to racism on the part of the viewing/judging public; but this precise scenario reoccurs repeatedly, year after year. I really don't know what to make of it all. But as a captive audience I'm forced to watch this every week!

poodlefaker

Dave Arch's band shd be called The Archestra. Alright cheers.

Quote from: mothman on October 24, 2021, 07:45:29 PM
Huh, I don't even remember posting that. But this week we have a case in point. Rhys Stephenson, who was sixth in the judges' vote (and is black), is in the bottom two. Meaning more people voted for Dan Walker, Adam Peaty and Sara Davies who got less votes from the judges (and are all white). Now Peaty and Davies are obviously popular, so it's perhaps not surprising. But some BBC Breakfast presenter you forget about while he's on TV in front of you?

Yes, Ugo Monye is also black, but was bottom of the leader board and has been on borrowed time as he's just not that good a dancer.

Again, hard to conclusively put this down to racism on the part of the viewing/judging public; but this precise scenario reoccurs repeatedly, year after year. I really don't know what to make of it all. But as a captive audience I'm forced to watch this every week!

I don't think it's surprising that Dan Walker, someone who's seen daily by 2m viewers, will win a public vote against Stephenson. Rhys does the continuity links on CBBC, a channel that gets around ~300,000 viewers at peak times, and hosts Newsround which hasn't even been on TV for the past two years. And his work is almost exclusively watched by kids who can't even vote without parental permission.

Not to mention that Walker did his big soppy dedication to his wife this week. Nobody stood a chance against that.

gilbertharding

Quote from: mjwilson on October 22, 2021, 06:44:55 PM
"people are racist but we shouldn't call that racism"?

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 22, 2021, 12:55:33 PM

Or have I just defined structural racism? Probably, eh?

In other words - I don't think people (individuals) are being racist in voting for (eg) Dan Walker and not Rhys Stephenson.

The effect, however, is a different matter.

backdrifter

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 19, 2021, 08:39:56 AM
The zenith of his prickhood culminating with his infamous "read some fucking Orwell" comment which was actually a brilliant bit of satire of someone that obviously hasn't read any Orwell past 1984 or Animal Farm.  It's funnier still if you say this in a Jordan Peterson voice.

Wasn't that column in response to Russell Brand encouraging his audience not to vote? Seemed pretty bang on to me.

Don't like plenty of his output but thought that one was fine.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: backdrifter on October 28, 2021, 12:10:39 PM
Wasn't that column in response to Russell Brand encouraging his audience not to vote? Seemed pretty bang on to me.

Don't like plenty of his output but thought that one was fine.

You are right on both accounts; I'd misremembered this as one of his Corbyn rants.

gilbertharding

A pretty priceless moment this week, when the man from McFly, cursed to display his emotions through a face which consists of nothing but a chin and a nose, was criticised by the judges for not displaying enough  emotion while dancing.

Honestly - you have to see it. You literally see his will to live leave his body.

It's a real shame that The Curse of Strictly podcast has left the building, because I really wanted to hear them discuss it.

gilbertharding

Quote from: robert webbHullo! I seem to have switched from public to private mode and one of the effects of this is people will inevitably find their own ways to interpret my 'silence'. It isn't really silence, of course. It's just doing other stuff. But I thought I ought to pipe up because I won't be in the group dance of the strictly final this Sat and I didn't want my absence (or my 'silence' about it) to be taken as evidence of any kind of bad feeling towards the show.

My love for Strictly is a season that is forever summer. However, the producers understood that when I had to stop, I had to stop completely. Dianne & Joe came over for lunch a few weeks ago and m'partner gets it.

If I gave out a few more details about what the show had been doing to me physically & mentally, you wouldn't be surprised that the offer of one more dance was politely declined.

More generally, I'm sorry that my departure buggered up the format so there are only 3 couples in the final (a lot of angry Rhys fans out there - guys, you do know that if I'd tried to do week 4 but had then dropped dead during the show, it would *still* be a three-couple final, yeah?)

So anyway, the headlines are: sorry about everything, I'm not doing the thing, I'm fine now btw, and do enjoy the final which will obviously be brilliant because they're all brilliant. See ya! x

What a twat.

mothman

If it's any consolation, I didn't actually notice he wasn't in it.

gilbertharding

Quite a few people seem to have done - and his absence from the VT round up of the show led some of them to the conclusion he'd been airbrushed; cancelled for being a transphobe. Vivid imaginations they have.

Mind you, the point about his withdrawal causing there to be not enough people in the final... why did they have to expel someone on the week he withdrew? They could have just not had a vote, and showed a rerun instead of the results show.

Icehaven

Do they not have any celebs in reserve in case someone drops out? Although it sounds like there's quite a lot of physical training they have to do beforehand so maybe not, there can't be many people who'd do all that preparation when there's a good chance they're not even going to get on the show.

gilbertharding

Was it 2019 when 'Jimmy Biscuits' (aka Jamie Laing) crocked himself a few days before the thing started, and had to be replaced? He did the series the next year.

I don't think subs would work once it has started. They have had substitute professionals though - but not even that would work these days, because of covid.

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on December 20, 2021, 01:39:56 PMDo they not have any celebs in reserve in case someone drops out? Although it sounds like there's quite a lot of physical training they have to do beforehand so maybe not, there can't be many people who'd do all that preparation when there's a good chance they're not even going to get on the show.

In recent series it's been a four couple final, so that if one couple withdraws there's still a final of three. There have been series in the past with no withdrawals which deliberately had a two couple final, though, and I guess we saw last week that they can handle two dropouts without losing a competitive final of sorts. It'd be interesting to see if they'd have skipped an elimination had AJ been injured the week prior, but I'd assume not.

I think there'd be uproar if they helicoptered a reserve couple in mid-series, which is why they start with as many pairs as they do. They've subbed in new people when contestants have dropped out after being announced but before the series began (Kelvin Fletcher replaced Jamie Laing this way, then went on to win), but other than that they just play the numbers game with how many couples they start with and how many weeks the series runs.

mothman

I don't remember there being four-person finals - which just goes to show how much attention I paid to them. But if that was the case I'm surprised they didn't keep Rhys in.

Or bring him back when AJ dropped out, but then he'd have missed most of the week's training and besides, if they asked him I wouldn't blame him for saying no. Constantly being in the bottom two would have to rankle.

I don't think they release phone voting figures do they? Be interesting to see how many Rose or John got. Lots on social media saying it would be really close, but the online polls the Strictly Spoiler ran after each pair of dances all went 85% to Rose. 🧐 🤔

gilbertharding

I think Rose deserved to win taken as a whole, but on the night... I think her show dance was too similar to the second dance, and her first dance was just a lot of running about.