News:

Welcome to the new look Cook'd and Bomb'd

Robert Webb on Strictly

Started by poodlefaker, October 03, 2021, 09:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: mjwilson on October 22, 2021, 06:44:55 PM
"people are racist but we shouldn't call that racism"?
Sad thing is, what can we do about it, other than ban people from voting if they don't have any Bernardine Evaristo books. Or if they voted for Margaret Atwood on the Booker Prize committee.

I'm sure they try to choose obnoxious white people, and everything.

olliebean

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 22, 2021, 12:55:33 PM
Like I say, I don't doubt for a minute there is a sizeable proportion of racists - both conscious and unconscious - among the British population, but I think it's a category error to label that phenomenon racist.

Again: people are just voting for their favourites. I don't know if it's a recognised psychological phenomenon, but don't people generally like people who they think are like them? If so, that will disadvantage members of a visible minority. Not saying it's right, you understand - or something which didn't need redressing in the weighting of votes to judges scores - just that it's not racism, as such.

Or have I just defined structural racism? Probably, eh?

*presses post*

So favouring people who you judge as being like yourself, with the basis of that judgement being whether they are the same race as you, isn't racism? "As such?" Sorry, I don't think I can come along with you on that line of reasoning.

mothman

I think what we're saying is that the end result of the competition on any given week would appear to suggest some sort of racist behaviour, but it's hard to properly explain how that (racist) end result could perpetrated by racists.

Disclaimer: I am drunk tonight. I'm normally to all intents and purposes teetotal. So I've no idea what we're saying.

mothman

Huh, I don't even remember posting that. But this week we have a case in point. Rhys Stephenson, who was sixth in the judges' vote (and is black), is in the bottom two. Meaning more people voted for Dan Walker, Adam Peaty and Sara Davies who got less votes from the judges (and are all white). Now Peaty and Davies are obviously popular, so it's perhaps not surprising. But some BBC Breakfast presenter you forget about while he's on TV in front of you?

Yes, Ugo Monye is also black, but was bottom of the leader board and has been on borrowed time as he's just not that good a dancer.

Again, hard to conclusively put this down to racism on the part of the viewing/judging public; but this precise scenario reoccurs repeatedly, year after year. I really don't know what to make of it all. But as a captive audience I'm forced to watch this every week!

poodlefaker

Dave Arch's band shd be called The Archestra. Alright cheers.

Quote from: mothman on October 24, 2021, 07:45:29 PM
Huh, I don't even remember posting that. But this week we have a case in point. Rhys Stephenson, who was sixth in the judges' vote (and is black), is in the bottom two. Meaning more people voted for Dan Walker, Adam Peaty and Sara Davies who got less votes from the judges (and are all white). Now Peaty and Davies are obviously popular, so it's perhaps not surprising. But some BBC Breakfast presenter you forget about while he's on TV in front of you?

Yes, Ugo Monye is also black, but was bottom of the leader board and has been on borrowed time as he's just not that good a dancer.

Again, hard to conclusively put this down to racism on the part of the viewing/judging public; but this precise scenario reoccurs repeatedly, year after year. I really don't know what to make of it all. But as a captive audience I'm forced to watch this every week!

I don't think it's surprising that Dan Walker, someone who's seen daily by 2m viewers, will win a public vote against Stephenson. Rhys does the continuity links on CBBC, a channel that gets around ~300,000 viewers at peak times, and hosts Newsround which hasn't even been on TV for the past two years. And his work is almost exclusively watched by kids who can't even vote without parental permission.

Not to mention that Walker did his big soppy dedication to his wife this week. Nobody stood a chance against that.

gilbertharding

Quote from: mjwilson on October 22, 2021, 06:44:55 PM
"people are racist but we shouldn't call that racism"?

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 22, 2021, 12:55:33 PM

Or have I just defined structural racism? Probably, eh?

In other words - I don't think people (individuals) are being racist in voting for (eg) Dan Walker and not Rhys Stephenson.

The effect, however, is a different matter.

backdrifter

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on October 19, 2021, 08:39:56 AM
The zenith of his prickhood culminating with his infamous "read some fucking Orwell" comment which was actually a brilliant bit of satire of someone that obviously hasn't read any Orwell past 1984 or Animal Farm.  It's funnier still if you say this in a Jordan Peterson voice.

Wasn't that column in response to Russell Brand encouraging his audience not to vote? Seemed pretty bang on to me.

Don't like plenty of his output but thought that one was fine.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: backdrifter on October 28, 2021, 12:10:39 PM
Wasn't that column in response to Russell Brand encouraging his audience not to vote? Seemed pretty bang on to me.

Don't like plenty of his output but thought that one was fine.

You are right on both accounts; I'd misremembered this as one of his Corbyn rants.

gilbertharding

A pretty priceless moment this week, when the man from McFly, cursed to display his emotions through a face which consists of nothing but a chin and a nose, was criticised by the judges for not displaying enough  emotion while dancing.

Honestly - you have to see it. You literally see his will to live leave his body.

It's a real shame that The Curse of Strictly podcast has left the building, because I really wanted to hear them discuss it.