Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:38:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dave Chappelle - The Closer

Started by up_the_hampipe, October 04, 2021, 04:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: g0m on October 11, 2021, 09:42:37 PM
Netflix suspends trans employee who tweeted about Dave Chappelle special

It seems as though it was a few people suspended for "trying to attend a director-level meeting they weren't invited to", however that went.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 11, 2021, 10:46:38 PM
It seems as though it was a few people suspended for "trying to attend a director-level meeting they weren't invited to", however that went.

Presumably to raise their cocerns over Chappelle's special. I guess there's more appropriate ways to do that.

evilcommiedictator

So if I'm reading everything right, those fired trans Netflix employees now have the right to shoot a black person?

H-O-W-L

Quote from: jobotic on October 09, 2021, 03:13:04 PM
What's your problem with what she's said? She's specifically not demanding that your hero stops saying anything or that Netflix pull his shows. So...?

They're clearly a total cunt who sides with Chappelle, or at least want to minimize what he's said as some sort of just ground, but they know they'd be (rightfully) speared for expressing such venomous shite here on CAB.

MigraineBoy

I see James Acaster's "too challenging for ya?" opening from Cold Lasagne is getting shared a lot on Twitter in response to this special and was praised by Michael McKean & Bob Odenkirk.

The Mollusk

Quote from: MigraineBoy on October 12, 2021, 06:51:07 AM
I see James Acaster's "too challenging for ya?" opening from Cold Lasagne is getting shared a lot on Twitter in response to this special and was praised by Michael McKean & Bob Odenkirk.

This makes me happy.

It sucks that big companies like Netflix who are broadly responsible for choking out the independent arts will also take hateful stances like this or at least only throw their hands up about it when directly challenged, and it's sad that it increasingly makes piracy more and more appealing as a general means for watching anything, but this is the sort of shit that will tip me into cancelling my subscription.

Brundle-Fly

I think it's a bit rich Steve 'Rapeman' Albini is still not forgiving Elvis Costello for an off his face drunken rant to wilfully wind up Stephen Stills in a bar over four decades ago. Costello was mortified by his behaviour and said sorry. Ray Charles forgave him at the time. Costello went on to produce The Specials and the single, Free Nelson Mandela.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 12, 2021, 09:26:40 AM
I think it's a bit rich Steve 'Rapeman' Albini is still not forgiving Elvis Costello for an off his face drunken rant to wilfully wind up Stephen Stills in a bar over four decades ago. Costello was mortified by his behaviour and said sorry. Ray Charles forgave him at the time. Costello went on to produce The Specials and the single, Free Nelson Mandela.
In terms of the article linked above, it's the (African-American, I gather) interviewer who says he can't give a "pass" to Costello, not Albini.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 12, 2021, 09:35:36 AM
In terms of the article linked above, it's the (African-American, I gather) interviewer who says he can't give a "pass" to Costello, not Albini.

Ah, my bad then. Apologies to Steve Albini. He probably more than understands about Costello's historic fuck up.

RicoMNKN

Thought this was a good bit of criticism:
https://www.readthepresentage.com/p/dave-chappelle-transgender
I'm glad that critics seem to be mostly calling him out on lazy jokes and wanting him to do better rather than wanting him to be cancelled. You'd hope losing the critical acclaim may give him pause for thought.

Of course, there's every chance he'll ignore critics and focus on the thousands of Rotten Tomatoes audience reviews from people who have never reviewed anything before but gave it five stars.  Which isn't suspicious at all.

peanutbutter

He's gonna double down again, I imagine. Long term has been massively rewarded for being quite difficult in the 00s so it's not like the negative reaction is gonna seem that bad.

Is there any past history of him backtracking on anything he's made such a committed effort to push with? Can't really help that he's personally quite disconnected by all the twitter drama yet likely surrounded by people who are all over it all the time, he's not gonna learn much of anything on how discourse has evolved if he's receiving most of it via proxy. Like, the way he talks about it all sounds like someone who could be on twitter a LOT, but I can't imagine him bothering with an alias account.

racecar bed indy 500

Quote from: MigraineBoy on October 12, 2021, 06:51:07 AM
Cold Lasagne

If we want to talk about bravery and/or a challenge eating such a thing as a cold lasagne would certainly live up to that.

trabuch

Just cancelled Netflix. I feel much lighter.

keir

Mr Faineant

This is all so boring. How can a "GOAT" comic be responsible for some much boredom?

PlanktonSideburns

Going On About Transphobicstuff

Fry

Don't you guys understand.

"Poor Kevin Hart dreamed of hosting the Oscars his entire life and THEY TOOK THAT AWAY FROM HIM."

What does he have now? An A List Movie career? Millions of Dollars? Widespread acclaim?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Fry on October 15, 2021, 11:00:57 AM
Don't you guys understand.

"Poor Kevin Hart dreamed of hosting the Oscars his entire life and THEY TOOK THAT AWAY FROM HIM."

What does he have now? An A List Movie career? Millions of Dollars? Widespread acclaim?

They didn't even take it away from him. He stepped down.

up_the_hampipe

Jim Davidson is Team Chappelle https://youtu.be/OCupyMFg6yY

There's still time to take it all back, Dave.

Petey Pate

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 15, 2021, 11:50:24 AM
Jim Davidson is Team Chappelle https://youtu.be/OCupyMFg6yY

There's still time to take it all back, Dave.

Jim censors the word 'pisses', what a snowflake.

RicoMNKN

Jim calling a 48 year old "young and hip" made me slightly warm to him.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: RicoMNKN on October 15, 2021, 12:17:40 PM

He was actually supporting Chappelle for less harmful reasons than I expected, even if it's still missing the point entirely. He managed to be more careful with Daphne's pronouns than Chappelle was.

QDRPHNC

Good article in GQ by Saeed Jones: https://www.gq.com/story/chappelle-the-closer

QuoteThat's the gag, Dave. I thought when you got free, if you decided to come back to us, you'd find a way to help us feel more free too. I believe that's what laughter does. It loosens us up, helps us shake ourselves free. But watching you spew bullshit just as hurtful as the words those men hurled at us last weekend, I didn't feel like I was being set free. I felt like I'd just been stabbed by someone I once admired and now he was demanding that I stop bleeding.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: RicoMNKN on October 15, 2021, 12:17:40 PM

I mean, 48 is young and hip when you're 67.

A friend posted something on facebook saying it's unfair to criticize Chappelle about the transphobic stuff since he wasn't cancelled for doing black plight skits back in the day, which misses the point on a couple of different levels.

Pink Gregory

do.they.want.trans.people.or.not.

Mister Six

Story from from the NYT - the alert focused on them firing an employee, but the article itself is the usual aimless and meandering NYT guff.

At Netflix, a star and employees pressure a top executive over Dave Chappelle's special.

In a town-hall-style meeting on Friday, Ted Sarandos, a co-chief executive of Netflix, faced criticism from staff over Mr. Chappelle's "The Closer."

Tensions at Netflix continued to flare on Friday, 10 days after the release of a special by the comedian Dave Chappelle that critics inside and outside the company have described as promoting bigotry against transgender people.

Early on Friday, a Netflix star criticized the company and Ted Sarandos, a co-chief executive, in a stinging social media post. Later in the day, Netflix said it had fired an employee for sharing documents related to Mr. Chappelle with a reporter, and Mr. Sarandos fielded pointed questions from employees during a companywide virtual meeting.

In a rare public rebuke, the Australian comedian Hannah Gadsby upbraided Mr. Sarandos by name for his defense of Mr. Chappelle. Ms. Gadsby, whose 2017 Netflix special, "Nanette," earned an Emmy and a Peabody Award, is the most prominent entertainer to criticize Mr. Sarandos and Netflix, which she referred to in an Instagram post as an "amoral algorithm cult."

Mr. Sarandos and Netflix's other co-chief, Reed Hastings, have been unwavering in their support of Mr. Chappelle, who signed a lucrative multiyear deal with the company in 2016 and has won Emmys and Grammys for his Netflix work. In a note this week, Mr. Sarandos countered the arguments of Netflix staff members who had suggested that Mr. Chappelle's special, "The Closer," could lead to violence against transgender people, writing that he had the "strong belief that content on-screen doesn't directly translate to real-world harm."

Mr. Sarandos, who joined Netflix two decades ago and became its co-chief executive last year, also said that the company would go to great lengths to "ensure marginalized communities aren't defined by a single story." He cited inclusive Netflix programs like "Sex Education" and "Orange Is the New Black" as well as Ms. Gadsby's specials, which also include "Douglas," released in 2020.

In her social media post on Friday, Ms. Gadsby, who is a lesbian, objected to the executive's references to her in his defense of the company and Mr. Chappelle's special.

"Hey Ted Sarandos!" Ms. Gadsby wrote. "Just a quick note to let you know that I would prefer if you didn't drag my name into your mess. Now I have to deal with even more of the hate and anger that Dave Chappelle's fans like to unleash on me every time Dave gets 20 million dollars to process his emotionally stunted partial world view."

She continued: "You didn't pay me nearly enough to deal with the real world consequences of the hate speech dog whistling you refuse to acknowledge, Ted."

Netflix declined to comment on Ms. Gadsby's remarks.

At a virtual company meeting that started at 10 a.m. Pacific time on Friday, Mr. Sarandos replied to a series of tough questions from employees, who asked about Mr. Chappelle's special and how the company had responded to criticisms of it, according to three people with knowledge of the gathering. The event became emotional when several employees were persistent in their questioning of Mr. Sarandos and his support for someone who they feel engages in hate speech, the people said.

After the meeting, Netflix said in a statement that an employee had been fired for sharing internal documents pertaining to Mr. Chappelle with the press.

"We have let go of an employee for sharing confidential, commercially sensitive information outside the company," the statement said. "We understand this employee may have been motivated by disappointment and hurt with Netflix, but maintaining a culture of trust and transparency is core to our company."

The documents included private financial information regarding Mr. Chappelle's Netflix specials that were published this week by Bloomberg, according to a person with knowledge of the termination. The documents included the costs for the specials — $24.1 million for "The Closer" and $23.6 million for Mr. Chappelle's previous special, "Sticks & Stones" — as well as an internal metric that determines the value of the specials relative to their budgets.

Such data is available to Netflix staff but rarely made public. The appearance of the statistics in a published article is a further sign of how deep the schism is between some Netflix employees and company leadership.

Several organizations, including GLAAD, which monitors the news media and entertainment companies for bias against the L.G.B.T.Q. community, have criticized Mr. Chappelle's special as transphobic. A group of Netflix workers has planned a walkout for next week in protest.

RicoMNKN

Quote from: Mister Six on October 15, 2021, 11:06:25 PM
Netflix, which she referred to in an Instagram post as an "amoral algorithm cult."

That's a good, accurate, insult.

Particularly tasteless of Netflix to bring her into it when you consider that Nanette has the story about a homophobic assault by a man who initially mistook her gender.  Chappelle has the story about him beating up a woman who he refers to as a man, in the mistaken belief that misgendering will make it funny.

The Netflix guy saying "on-screen doesn't directly translate to real-world harm" just makes me think of that Louis Theroux on Lion King, in which loads of people involved seemed to have been fucked over by the dishonest values of the production company.