Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:30:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dave Chappelle - The Closer

Started by up_the_hampipe, October 04, 2021, 04:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Quote from: damien on October 09, 2021, 04:47:44 AM
Pretty good stuff here from Steve Albini of all people

https://twitter.com/electricalwsop/status/1446488904886980608?s=21

Few bulbs in the replies there, although you can't argue with this one

Gabriel Arturo Gross
@DrArturoAndrad1
·
11h
Replying to
@electricalWSOP
Well maybe Steve you are who is living in wonderland and Dave lives in the real world.  Have you thought about that?

chveik

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on October 08, 2021, 09:10:57 PM
Astoundingly shite. I thought it was going somewhere but no, that was it. Gayness sounds like anus. #9 in Rolling Stone's 50 Best Stand Up Comics of All Time there, folks.

On the one hand he was drunk. On the other hand he's describing himself as the Greatest Of All Time in his last video and in the GANUS video there's an actual crowd listening to him and he sounds like he's just chatting rubbish down the pub.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on October 08, 2021, 09:22:37 PM
I love how gleefully Lil Nas X winds people like Chappelle up. He said something recently along the lines of "every time you tell me to tone it down, I become 10% gayer".

I think a recent exchange on tinternet went something like this.

You just say you're gay because you think it's trendy and will make you popular.

No. I just like dicks.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 09, 2021, 10:53:20 AM
On the one hand he was drunk. On the other hand he's describing himself as the Greatest Of All Time in his last video and in the GANUS video there's an actual crowd listening to him and he sounds like he's just chatting rubbish down the pub.

He was headlining a 9/11 benefit too. Organised by Pete Davidson, who lost his firefighter dad on 9/11. Chappelle was apparently late so they sent on Chris Rock (not a scheduled performer) to cover for him, then they kept Rock on stage for Chappelle's set, presumably to babysit him cos he was drunk and rambly.

thugler

I watched it. It's infuriating how he gets semi-close to getting it at times, only to revert to the most tedious played out old talking points and views. He seems insistent to be able to have his cake and eat it in regards to doing really shit low brow trans material, yet also claiming to care about them and act as if he's oh so reasonable. Everything comes back to him in the end, he's outraged at anyone who finds any of his material objectionable. If he just took a moment to understand the issue from the perspective of the community he's belittling, rather than bringing up race as a trump card that means he can win the who's more oppressed competition, rather than go the very short distance to come to a more intersectional analysis of the situation. It's annoying because he's still funny at times. He just seems to have reached a point of fame and wealth that means he is absolutely resolute in never questioning himself. The parade of celeb snaps at the end is pretty ridiculous.

Dusty Substance

In solidarity with Dear White People co-showrunner (white person) Jaclyn Moore I won't be pitching any new projects to Netflix: https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/dear-white-people-jaclyn-moore-dave-chappelle-netflix-1235083197/

jobotic

What's your problem with what she's said? She's specifically not demanding that your hero stops saying anything or that Netflix pull his shows. So...?

kngen

Quote from: chveik on October 09, 2021, 10:52:49 AM
albini's been a good lad for a while now

Indeed, it was a joy to see that his scabrous, unyielding worldview has evolved into something pretty fucking wonderful in this interview he did with Eugene Robinson of Oxbow

Pink Gregory

Mr Faineant

Remember the good old days when the GOAT comedians said funny and surprising things on their specials? I'm not a person who thinks people shouldn't joke about certain things, I don't really give a shit, I just want to hear clever and funny things in comedy specials. For all The accolades Chappelle gets, I find they are only occasionally warranted. This bout of Netflix specials could have been condensed to one really good one of median length, I think.

The closing joke was about calling a dead friend "he" when he's supposed to be calling her "she". This is a GOAT joke? It's the default trans joke for boomer dads, no?

SpiderChrist

I watched Sticks and Stones and remember feeling decidedly underwhelmed. Won't bother with this one. $20 million for each special? Fuck me.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Mr Faineant on October 09, 2021, 09:32:28 PM
The closing joke was about calling a dead friend "he" when he's supposed to be calling her "she". This is a GOAT joke? It's the default trans joke for boomer dads, no?

Yeah his material around this issue has all been hacky and shit.

The guy has an Asian wife, yet does lazy, racist shit like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xug1bVFGLUU

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 09, 2021, 09:49:35 PM
Yeah his material around this issue has all been hacky and shit.

The guy has an Asian wife, yet does lazy, racist shit like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xug1bVFGLUU

I really don't like the whole premise of this joke, but I wish I didn't find the way he says "This is how I feeeel insiiiide!" so funny.

king_tubby

Quote from: kngen on October 09, 2021, 05:39:23 PM
Indeed, it was a joy to see that his scabrous, unyielding worldview has evolved into something pretty fucking wonderful in this interview he did with Eugene Robinson of Oxbow

Cheers for posting this.

Quote from: kngen on October 09, 2021, 05:39:23 PM

what did Elvis Costello do?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 07, 2021, 03:04:03 PM
I've never got him.

Me either really. I watched Chapelle's Show and thought it was OK but god the people constantly quoting from it and hailing it as the greatest thing ever made. I hated how he would overly explain the jokes sometimes too. There was one sketch I recall where the punchline was really obvious, but then he actually pauses and says to the camera "Because....[explains punchline like he's talking to a 5-year old]"

g0m

Quote from: Dusty Substance on October 09, 2021, 03:09:25 PM
In solidarity with Dear White People co-showrunner (white person) Jaclyn Moore I won't be pitching any new projects to Netflix: https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/dear-white-people-jaclyn-moore-dave-chappelle-netflix-1235083197/

Glad to see it, hope others follow suit

checkoutgirl

Quote from: thugler on October 09, 2021, 01:48:38 PMHe just seems to have reached a point of fame and wealth that means he is absolutely resolute in never questioning himself.

I think as non rich, non famous, non lauded, non artistic people we can easily forget the effect fame etc can have on the mind. Chappelle got a big award a couple of years ago, the Mark Twain award or something. Anyway the event was basically Chappelle and family arriving in a limo and loads of celebs, comedians, actors etc just going on stage and waxing lyrical about how earth shatteringly brilliant Chappelle is.

There's only so much of that type of thing you can hear without starting to believe the hype and seeing yourself as some godlike being on Earth, or GOAT (as Dave referred to himself in his last special).

The exact same thing happened to Ricky Gervais when he won the Golden Globe and started having his arse tongued by Larry David and Matt Groening. It was kind of over at that point. It takes a certain type of mental state to receive so much praise and not starting to think you are so amazing.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 10, 2021, 10:28:57 PM
There's only so much of that type of thing you can hear without starting to believe the hype and seeing yourself as some godlike being on Earth, or GOAT (as Dave referred to himself in his last special).

Last year after he recovered from COVID, Chappelle said "When a hero stumbles, the cowards rejoice." Basically calling himself a hero for doing shows at a time when public gatherings of any kind were ill-advised, and anyone who criticised him for putting himself and others in danger were cowards. That's when I knew he'd reached a new narcissism tier that was going to be tough to climb down from.

bgmnts

I read that during a Roman triumph, the triumphant general would have a slave right beside him at all times telling him he is just mortal man and not a god.

I think 95% of celebrities need this. Badly.

McChesney Duntz

95% of celebrities need slaves, eh?

CANCEL

Mr Faineant

Quote from: bgmnts on October 10, 2021, 10:38:48 PM
I read that during a Roman triumph, the triumphant general would have a slave right beside him at all times telling him he is just mortal man and not a god.

I think 95% of celebrities need this. Badly.

As far as slave work goes, that sounds pretty cushy. I wonder if these reminders ever enraged the general, when they came at inconvenient times...then, maybe not so cushy.

Theremin

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 10, 2021, 10:28:57 PM

Haha, can't believe I forgot he said that. Megalomania.

bgmnts

Ha the values of Carphone Warehouse Netflix there.

PlanktonSideburns