Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:14:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Masterchef contestant plagarism scandal

Started by kalowski, October 11, 2021, 07:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: Elizabeth HaighI faced many challenges along the way. It began with my having to translate hard-to-read handwritten notes, or convert measurements, and moved on to learning about the different daun (herbs) or rempahs (spice pastes). Technique aside, ingredients were hard to find, but thankfully I was just a bus ride away from Chinatown in central London.
Quote from: Sharon Wee (snigger) nine years earlierIt faced its many challenges along the way. It first started with converting her handwritten recipe measurements from katis and tahils (old Chinese measurements) and learning the different daun (or herbs) and rempah (spice pastes). Recipe testing in New York could be challenging. Shopping for ingredients necessary for our cuisine often entailed trekking down to Chinatown by subway with a large shopping trolley.
Quote from: Elizabeth HaighBy tradition, Nonya Aunties engaged all their senses when they cooked. It was really important to gauge the smells and colour of the gravy; feel the warmth of the charcoal or wok heat; listen to the sizzle of the rempah, and the best bit, taste constantly. The Aunties cooked by agak agak or 'guesstimation'.
Quote from: Sharon Wee, nine years earlierTraditionally, the Nonyas engaged all their senses when they cooked – it was important to gauge the colour of the gravy, smell the aroma of the spices, feel the warmth of the charcoal heat, listen to the rhythm of the pounding and most importantly, taste the final product when the cooking is finished. As such, recipes passed down the generations were inexact. Cooking was by estimation or what the Nonyas called agak-agak
Looks pretty bang to rights to me. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/oct/11/former-masterchef-contestants-book-pulled-amid-plagiarism-accusations
The books seems to have disappeared...

dissolute ocelot

I was mostly disturbed by the photo at the top of that article. Slight attack of the photoshops.

But yeah, definite copying. I'm sure copying recipes is very common, but copying that sort of text is just stupid.

frajer

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 11, 2021, 07:13:30 PM
I was mostly disturbed by the photo at the top of that article. Slight attack of the photoshops.

Yeah I hope that PS3 game that copied a book is suitably ashamed.