Documental (Japanese Comedy Show)

Started by fit bird, October 11, 2021, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fit bird

Did a quick search, but couldn't see that there's ever been a thread about it here.
It's a Japanese Amazon gameshow where they stick a group of comedians in a room for a day and film it, there are no rules except that if you laugh you're out.  Which doesn't sound particularly original except that they do genuinely seem to mean there are no rules.
Every series has a different line up of different comedians, different styles of comedy, different generations, etc, but no matter what it always seems to end up like a live action adaptation of HS Art, with people resorting to desperate measures like
Spoiler alert
doing weird stuff to each others arses
[close]
or
Spoiler alert
putting things in their foreskins
[close]
.
I've never really 'got' Japanese comedy, but there are moments in this that are beyond belief, it's incredible.

The first few seasons are officially translated on Amazon Prime, but there are more series translated by fans, has anyone else watched it?

weaseldust

oh that's weird, i just finished watching joshimental, the all female version and then checked cab and saw this thread

i think i've watched most of documental including the later fansubbed series - i enjoy it a lot because there's a lot of silly nonsensical humour that makes you laugh but you don't know exactly why. i also like how it becomes more frantic and unhinged as the time begins to run out and they try to catch each other off guard. cookie/kukky is definitely a highlight and fujimon too

op, i'm curious if you've watched any gaki no tsukai, specifically the no-laughing batsu games? it's a similar premise of a group of comedians (including matsumoto) trying not to laugh but it goes on for 24 hours

neveragain

There's an Australian version of this (also on Amazon Prime) called LOL: Last One Laughing, which I highly recommend. Rebel Wilson hosts.

fit bird

Quote from: weaseldust on October 12, 2021, 12:50:13 AM
oh that's weird, i just finished watching joshimental, the all female version and then checked cab and saw this thread

i think i've watched most of documental including the later fansubbed series - i enjoy it a lot because there's a lot of silly nonsensical humour that makes you laugh but you don't know exactly why. i also like how it becomes more frantic and unhinged as the time begins to run out and they try to catch each other off guard. cookie/kukky is definitely a highlight and fujimon too

op, i'm curious if you've watched any gaki no tsukai, specifically the no-laughing batsu games? it's a similar premise of a group of comedians (including matsumoto) trying not to laugh but it goes on for 24 hours
Yeah, the batsu games are really great too, especially the early ones, but it seems like there's a lot more references in them that don't quite translate compared to documental. Something like whoever farts first loses arm wrestling will never not be funny though.

Quote from: neveragain on October 12, 2021, 01:15:53 AM
There's an Australian version of this (also on Amazon Prime) called LOL: Last One Laughing, which I highly recommend. Rebel Wilson hosts.
Interesting, does it get as crazy?

neveragain

I've not seen Documental yet but it did get quite odd. Some great comedians.

I love Documental.

One of my faouvorite moments was when Kotoge once eliminated Fujimoto by doing nothing. Fujimoto knew something was coming, and was preparing himself for anything, but then when Kotoge did nothing it cracked him. It is almost like watching a sport sometimes.

LOL Australia had a couple of very funny moments for me, but it wasn't on the same level as Documental, there wasn't the same commitment.

Swoz_MK

Over the last year or two Documental has probably replaced Digitizer and Delocated as my favourite comedy thing (all the Ds)

The Joyman reveals in s2, Jimmy being useless, Fujimoto's "straight" face, Kurosawa's song and Cookie's accompaniment in s4. In fact every second Cookie is on screen.

If anyone has knowledge of where to find s5 onwards plus Joshi etc I'd be eternally grateful.

amateur

Enjoyed the first episode, mostly, particularly your man making up rules as he went.

Bit bummed out that there aren't any women in it though. Do any appear in future series?

Looks like a nailed on format for Dave with Lou Sanders and Ed Gamble.

weaseldust

Quote from: Swoz_MK on October 13, 2021, 09:00:41 AM
If anyone has knowledge of where to find s5 onwards plus Joshi etc I'd be eternally grateful.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GakiNoTsukai/wiki/docu/

series 7 is still in the process of being translated

fit bird

Quote from: amateur on October 13, 2021, 09:07:18 AM
Bit bummed out that there aren't any women in it though. Do any appear in future series?
Not really, season 4 is the first time there's a woman contestant (a woman contestant, as in, just the one), and season 6 is roughly half and half, but aside from that no, not at all. There's an all women special called joshimental, which is also good, but it's very short (less than an hour, iirc).
It's a shame really, because season 6 is really interesting because of the mixture,
Spoiler alert
the men seem uncomfortable, like they don't know how far to go around the women but the women don't have that problem at all.
[close]

Swoz_MK

Quote from: weaseldust on October 13, 2021, 10:38:09 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/GakiNoTsukai/wiki/docu/

series 7 is still in the process of being translated

Ah fantastic! Thank you!!

Quote from: fit bird on October 13, 2021, 12:07:52 PM
Not really, season 4 is the first time there's a woman contestant (a woman contestant, as in, just the one), and season 6 is roughly half and half, but aside from that no, not at all. There's an all women special called joshimental, which is also good, but it's very short (less than an hour, iirc).
It's a shame really, because season 6 is really interesting because of the mixture,
Spoiler alert
the men seem uncomfortable, like they don't know how far to go around the women but the women don't have that problem at all.
[close]

Miyuki was in s2 as well as Kurosawa in s4. I don't remember Miyuki faring too well, just pretending to cry a lot.

amateur

Quote from: fit bird on October 13, 2021, 12:07:52 PM
Not really, season 4 is the first time there's a woman contestant (a woman contestant, as in, just the one), and season 6 is roughly half and half, but aside from that no, not at all. There's an all women special called joshimental, which is also good, but it's very short (less than an hour, iirc).
It's a shame really, because season 6 is really interesting because of the mixture,
Spoiler alert
the men seem uncomfortable, like they don't know how far to go around the women but the women don't have that problem at all.
[close]

Good intel, cheers. Based on my limited understanding of Japanese culture the above doesn't hugely surprise me but I'm glad it's not a lad's shop all the way through.

amateur

Episode two and I am delighted to see how quickly they've
Spoiler alert
literally had to dive into arses
[close]
to make each other laugh.

Fascinated to see how this goes in the second series, when presumably the contestants have some sort of gameplan, because these lads are acting like they're on the first series of Big  Brother.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: neveragain on October 12, 2021, 01:15:53 AM
There's an Australian version of this (also on Amazon Prime) called LOL: Last One Laughing, which I highly recommend. Rebel Wilson hosts.
If you can get past Sam Simmons, that is. However it does have Frank Woodley in it too. Just fast forward through all the Rebel bits

madhair60


letsgobrian

Quote from: madhair60 on October 14, 2021, 12:14:43 AM
Is this "available" anywhere?

Yes. I searched for "joshimental sub" on google and the top result got me to a folder full of the 7 seasons and the first Joshimental within a couple of clicks.

Interesting that the first Joshimental was mainly, if not all, non-comedians. I only knew Kyoko Hamaguchi from occasional mentions in Wrestling Observer, First Summer Uika from the bands BiS and BILLIE IDLE® and Tomoko Kaneda from playing squeaky voiced anime characters.

Ja'moke

Quote from: amateur on October 13, 2021, 09:07:18 AM

Looks like a nailed on format for Dave with Lou Sanders and Ed Gamble.

Yeah, I'm surprised Dave hasn't bought this format yet. It would make a better Taskmaster replacement than that David Mitchell camping show, and it's something different to another panel show. Presumably cheap to make too.

Call it 'No Laughing Matter', job done.

amateur

Just got going on episode 2 and Miyuki Oshima is involved, which quells my concerns about this being a sausage fest.

Howling at episode one. Game has been raised!

neveragain

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on October 13, 2021, 10:43:45 PM
If you can get past Sam Simmons, that is. However it does have Frank Woodley in it too. Just fast forward through all the Rebel bits

Yeah, Sam's awful and - with all his inappropriate behaviour - the sort of person you wouldn't be surprised to hear things about.

amateur

Finished series 2, extraordinary. I think Fujimoto might be my favourite, he's got an inherently funny face when he's trying not to laugh. And the final showdown was one of the most unusual things I've ever seen.

Series 3 has a different vibe to it, feels older/more cerebral/weirder, somehow?

fit bird

Quote from: amateur on October 17, 2021, 08:42:41 AM
And the final showdown was one of the most unusual things I've ever seen.
Haha, I really laughed thinking about that last episode when you said "presumably they'll have a gameplan" in season 2.

Season 3 is one of the best, some relentlessly funny bits.

madhair60

I've seen season 1 episodes 1-3 and the mounting hysteria is amazing. I've laughed more and harder at episode 3 than I have at anything in absolutely ages.

Ja'moke

Quote from: amateur on October 17, 2021, 08:42:41 AM
Finished series 2, extraordinary. I think Fujimoto might be my favourite, he's got an inherently funny face when he's trying not to laugh.

Same here. I can't help but laugh at Fujimoto's face when he's trying to stifle a laugh. I wouldn't be mad if he was involved in every series.

Does anyone know if other international versions of this show are available anywhere?

Jerzy Bondov

Prime has German, Mexican, Italian, Spanish, French, Indian and Australian versions as well

Chedney Honks

Where can I find this please?

I don't use a computer so if it's torrent fuck it

Jerzy Bondov

Amazon Prime, it's produced by Amazon Japan. Watched the first two episodes so far, enjoyed it a lot but I'm very excited for the arse stuff

chutnut

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 19, 2021, 12:01:28 PM
Amazon Prime, it's produced by Amazon Japan. Watched the first two episodes so far, enjoyed it a lot but I'm very excited for the arse stuff

You're very close!

Started watching this a couple of nights ago after seeing this thread. It did start off a lot slower than I expected, the introductions (to the show and contestants) felt a bit dragged out, and at first I thought giving them 3 strikes was dragging it out even more. but it really escalates a lot in the 3rd episode and was laughing pretty much the whole way through

Jerzy Bondov

That first episode was a bit of a slog to be honest, it's such a simple idea for a show but you've got bloke explaining it for ages and then endless shots of the contestants going 'fucks this about then', but actually it helps you to learn who's who which isn't easy as I know fuck all Japanese comedians.

So far I like Daisuke, love seeing some guy do some mad shit and then it cuts to him looking fucking miserable, and I enjoyed his
Spoiler alert
snapping a massive rubber band on Jimmy's head and then twisting it round his face to try and hide his laugh
[close]
.

madhair60


Jerzy Bondov

Watched half of it earlier. Literally cried with laughter