Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,462
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:12:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Home Sweet Home Alone (2021)

Started by Dusty Substance, October 12, 2021, 06:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Trailer for the part remake/part reboot/all terrible idea has landed today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BkVf2voCr0

Fuck me, it looks terrible. It's unclear from the trailer where it's set but has got JoJo Rabbit kid as new Kevin and a bunch of UK*/US comedians in the cast - Ellie KKKemper, Rob Delaney, Aisling Bea, Pete Holmezzzzz, Andy Daly etc. (*counting Irish Aislin Bea as UK here)

Naturally Twitter has spent the day screaming at it and the video currently has a 50/50 like/dislike ratio.

I'm not even a huge fan of the original Home Alone but it seems utterly pointless to remake something so beloved.

It doesn't look as if they've spent much money on it - Makes me wonder if they've done for some sort of rights reason.

Famous Mortimer

QuoteEllie KKKemper
Hey, it was just the Veiled Prophet Ball, an organisation that was explicitly anti-trade union and anti-black, set up by former Confederate soldiers, didn't let black people join until 1979, and whose outfits actually inspired the KKK, rather than the other way round. Oh, and their ceremonial "guards" still wear blackface.

Chedney Honks

I love the original, it's a movie I watch every Christmas with my wife and we always enjoy it, and I will also love all the wankers who will get annoyed about this hanging themselves from the neck.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 12, 2021, 06:11:52 PM
Hey, it was just the Veiled Prophet Ball, an organisation that was explicitly anti-trade union and anti-black, set up by former Confederate soldiers, didn't let black people join until 1979, and whose outfits actually inspired the KKK, rather than the other way round. Oh, and their ceremonial "guards" still wear blackface.

"Those Klan robes were just resting in my account"

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 12, 2021, 06:11:52 PM

Aren't these kind of grandfathered high-society institutions with ugly racist/segregationist origins pretty prevalent in all of America's southern and border states, though? Not that that makes them fine or acceptable, but I tend to think that Ellie Kemper attending some archaic debutante ball at age 17 or whatever is probably more a symptom of her being an oblivious rich kid rather than a dedicated acolyte of David Duke.

Noodle Lizard

Definitely one for the "This'll be shit, I reckon" thread. Why bother doing a reboot if you're just going to dress Pete Holmes up like John Heard and seemingly rent the same 1980s style Illinois mansion? "This time, the kid's got a British accent for some reason!" Baffling. Sure it'll make a bumload of money, mind you.

At this age, I'm not sure I could stand the combined aw-shucksy whimsy of Ellie Kemper and Rob Delaney as the criminals. I liked the slight grumbliness of the original(s) - two roughened grown men desperate to see a child dead. That's cinema.

chveik

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on October 12, 2021, 06:32:44 PM
Aren't these kind of grandfathered high-society institutions with ugly racist/segregationist origins pretty prevalent in all of America's southern and border states, though? Not that that makes them fine or acceptable, but I tend to think that Ellie Kemper attending some archaic debutante ball at age 17 or whatever is probably more a symptom of her being an oblivious rich kid rather than a dedicated acolyte of David Duke.

it's pretty funny to say that she is though

Famous Mortimer

Yes, I'm sure everywhere has shit like this, it's just local interest for me. I'm not sure "I led so sheltered an upbringing I wasn't aware" is necessarily a great defence, though.

Anyway. This sounds like a terrible idea and I hope it fails.

checkoutgirl

Wow, Aisling Bee is no Catherine O'Hara that's for sure, and she sounds weird with a Brit accent, she's from Kerry. Also the kid seems to have no charm to him. Plus no Pesci or Stern. The original had a pretty decent cast looking back now.

kalowski

I'm giving this 1/10 and I'm being very generous.

bgmnts

Tramp will be a black guy.
The burglars will be women.

Ummmm the family will all be multi ethnic and mostly lgbt+ and the Kevin charafter will be ostracised not for being the runt of the litter but for being a straight white male.

Magnum Valentino

Chedney Honks

Can't wait for the soundtrack. I bet they pick out some great Christmas songs.

Even though this cheap money-grab will be quickly forgotten by the few people who see it, Childhood Ruined.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: bgmnts on October 12, 2021, 08:30:33 PM
Tramp will be a black guy.
The burglars will be women.

Ummmm the family will all be multi ethnic and mostly lgbt+ and the Kevin charafter will be ostracised not for being the runt of the litter but for being a straight white male.

You didn't watch the trailer?
Probably for the best. It looks humungously shit. Ailing Bea can not do a British accent.

dissolute ocelot

Home Alone was a classic example of a movie that looks really obvious and simple, but was actually the perfect collision of cartoon violence and genuine heart. Culkin was brilliant in it, genuinely seeming to run through all the emotions of a kid "home alone", and letting it all play across his face. This kid cannot do that, he just looks constipated.

Plus the original had Roberts Blossom as the elderly neighbour, who provided more emotional warmth. Does this version even have an old man. Or is an old man hanging around a 10 year old kid too creepy for the 2020s? Is showing kids how to maim people also considered unacceptable?

This will provide 2 hours of mild amusement to the target audience, and then they'll go home, prematurely open their Xmas presents, and set fire to their little sister without the least touch of Christmas magic to warm their hearts.

touchingcloth

Is it racist that I saw and recognised Aisling Bea in the trailer, and then saw Rob Delaney and thought she was Sharon Horgan for the rest of it?

lankyguy95

Always got the sense that Aisling Bea was one of those who did stand up as a way into acting. That might be unfair.

Anyway, irrelevant to this. It will be crap.

I love both of the first two Home Alone movies and I genuinely consider them Christmas classics. The plots are ridiculous obviously but who cares.

Chedney Honks

Just watched the trailer and I hope the kid burns the house down with him in it, for real. Little cunt looking cunt.

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 12, 2021, 11:51:38 PM
Is it racist that I saw and recognised Aisling Bea in the trailer, and then saw Rob Delaney and thought she was Sharon Horgan for the rest of it?

I genuinely forget that they are two different people, rather than one.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: lankyguy95 on October 13, 2021, 12:24:37 AM
Always got the sense that Aisling Bea was one of those who did stand up as a way into acting. That might be unfair.

Nah, she definitely " pulled an Izzard" , as the parlance has it. What to Drama School, and all that.

SteveDave

It just seems like a big waste of time and money.

Is Macauley Culkin in it? Will he be the creepy neighbour with a mysterious past?

Fucking Buzz is in it? Is this family meant to be an off-shoot of the McAllisters?

Mister Six

Watched Home Alone at Christmas for the first time since it was in the cinema. It was surprisingly boring. Doing it again without even the fantastic cast? No ta.

checkoutgirl

It's not unfair. I got a free ticket for Tommy Tiernan and she was one of the support acts. She was not what I would call funny. She seems unusually charmless in this trailer but it's all I can judge her on with a film I won't watch.

I've never found her funny, but I feel like that with most comedians. So this isn't me having a go at anyone.

Jerzy Bondov

I don't think that's unfair and I'm pretty sure she has said that's exactly what she's done. Maybe on Adam Buxton's podcast.

gilbertharding

Everyone's going on about Bea's "English accent" after watching the trailer... but to me the nine or ten words you actually hear her say in the trailer sound as Irish as she normally does.

But yeah - this will be utterly shit, and deserves to bomb.

Which Christmas was it supposed to be released for, by the way?

Blinder Data

this remake won't work. in the original, the two burglars were genuinely menacing so watching them suffer terribly was fun. Ellie Kemper and Rob Delaney are likeable schmucks, which means there is little peril and violence towards them (especially Kemper as a woman) won't be amusing. plus the kid isn't nearly as charming as Macauley Caulkin.

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 12, 2021, 09:20:14 PM
Why? Are you joking?

I don't want to speak for the OP but I assume it's not to claim ownership of Aisling Bea but because she works mostly in the UK and is a well kent face here.

Waking Life

Heh, they've even brought Buzz back for a cameo. I wouldn't let him sleep in my room if he was growing on my ASS.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Blinder Data on October 13, 2021, 10:45:48 AM
I don't want to speak for the OP but I assume it's not to claim ownership of Aisling Bea but because she works mostly in the UK and is a well kent face here.

Aye I'm being overly sensitive admittedly, but how I took it was that it would have been just as easy to write "a bunch of comedians" instead of writing "a bunch of UK/US comedians" and then listing some Americans and one other person who's not from a UK country, as if to hoover up someone with close enough proximity to the UK like 'UK comedian' was more worthy. I apologise for that end of it.

However, it remains a point of contention for me when Irish people are credited as British and this is close enough to that.

I'm not sure the "known for UK work" argument holds water either as I can't see Rich Hall or Reg Hunter being described as a UK comedian because they work here. They're American comedians. Aisling Bea is an Irish comedian.