Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:32:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

George Carlin's 1st Appearance On The Tonight Show w/ Mort Sahl

Started by MortSahlFan, October 15, 2021, 08:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

1962. NBC was trying to find a replacement for Jack Paar, and considered Mort Sahl, but the job went to Johnny Carson unfortunately. This was actually the first time Carlin was on TV

It's short, but if you are rich, you could probably get the entire thing.

https://youtu.be/aFd-6PTEwpI

McChesney Duntz

Sahl would have been an interesting, if mercurial, choice - he would have made Paar's controversies look tame, for sure, and he probably would have talked himself off the air within a couple years. It reminds me that ol' Mort had a talk show of sorts on the teeny-tiny Monitor Channel (run by the Christian Science Monitor) in 1991, which didn't last long but was pretty good, if I recall.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on October 15, 2021, 08:41:43 PM
Sahl would have been an interesting, if mercurial, choice - he would have made Paar's controversies look tame, for sure, and he probably would have talked himself off the air within a couple years. It reminds me that ol' Mort had a talk show of sorts on the teeny-tiny Monitor Channel (run by the Christian Science Monitor) in 1991, which didn't last long but was pretty good, if I recall.

I agree, on all of that.... Those Monitor shows are all on YouTube, but unfortunately, the entire channel went kaput. Bad timing, especially considering they probably hired Mort at that time because of the election. It might have been newspapers.com (or some other similar site) but it's amazing how they would put him on network TV during every election, but they were afraid of "controversy", despite Mort never cursing or being vulgar.

Here's an interesting show Mort hosted that same week.. It's a panel of women, feminist actresses of that time, and it's a nice time capsule. There's also part of a show on the same channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhEycU7FbCU&t=11s