Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:42:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite Fleet Foxes Album

Started by Satchmo Distel, October 16, 2021, 12:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I have only really gotten into this group in the last few months so am a latecomer to their work. Having played their albums on rotation a few times, I think I would choose 'Shore' (2020) if I was only allowed to keep one. 'Crack-Up' (2017) is a little too arty and affected; the first album (2008) hit and miss; 'Helplessness Blues' I need a few more listens?

I would be interested in other views.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on October 16, 2021, 12:04:47 PM
the first album (2008) hit and miss

I would be interested in other views.

Well the correct view is obviously that their debut album is flawless. I can't remember the last time I heard another debut album which like it was a fully-formed instant classic upon release. The Sun Giant EP is of the same high standard. They definitely became more musically ambitious after this point, but for me their initial releases capture their magic best.

idunnosomename

Yes precisely the above for me too. That first album and EP were just brilliant.

Yes I was massively unfair on the first album in the OP. There aren't any misses on there; the vocals are as good as you could want on any album. There's a larger Brian Wilson influence on the debut than the later work (you could put several songs on 'Smile' using Beach Boys vocals and they'd fit) but that's not a bad thing.

Johnboy

I think I wore out the debut, and I thought it was the best new thing I´d heard since Surfer Rosa

The next one, Helplessness Blues, I think is very very good, prob the best

Still trying to get my head around Crack Up

Shore is immediately good , could be as good as the first two

Tough one. I would have to say The Best of Fleet Foxes.

DJ Bob Hoskins