Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:17:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Beans on toast

Started by eagle_bearer, October 16, 2021, 04:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Foreigner

Beans on toast (She's more than a lady)
Beans on toast
Beans on toast (Two minutes later)
Beans on toast
Beans on toast (See you together)
Beans on toast
Beans on toast (See you later)
Beans on toast
Beans on toast (What you doing?)
Beans on toast

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Beans beans beans
I'm looking for a good time
Beans beans beans
Get ready for my toast

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 16, 2021, 05:53:28 PM
The Chinese call it 'bean on the toast' according to an Irish pub I went to in Shanghai.

Ashamed to say I've sniggered at several Greek menus that offer 'cock in wine'.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 16, 2021, 04:35:51 PM
also branstons > heinz

Heinz are no great shakes and I find even the normal Heinz beans have the salt and sugar reduced. I think own brand like Tesco or Centra are a lot sweeter and haven't been fucked about with. I've avoided Heinz for years now.

White toasting pan toast allowed to cool, a good thick layer of butter spread Dairygold and that's fine. I don't go in for condiments but occasionally a scatter of grated cheddar might make it onto the beans.

Cup of tea to serve naturally.

The Dog

Quote from: The Dog on October 16, 2021, 05:59:29 PM
What do other countries do with them?

I mean, you have to dispose of all those beans somehow, and getting idiots to eat them seems like the obvious solution.

Johnny Textface

Aldi beans are very good and great value.

thenoise

American baked beans is, no surprise, even sweeter than its English cousin and baked in bacon fat and molasses, apparently. No tomatoes.

Glebe

Ledge Gary's favourite delicacy.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

What about the bean alternatives?
Spaghetti - not a fan. Somehow the texture of it doesn't meld well with the bread. Ravioli though, strangely, seems to work fine, despite also being pasta. Actually I think I'd rank ravioli on par with beans.

Sebastian Cobb

tomato soup - bit wet but REEM

Proactive

A baked bean lunch a couple of times a week have been one of the highlights of home working these past 18 months. I like to add a little bbq sauce and salt to mine, and black pepper. Generally have a bit of cheese with them but if I can be arsed I'll go for a couple fried eggs.

Catalogue of ills

We went to an outdoor thing tonight and needed a quick tea when we got home, so beans on toast it was. Very comforting. Thank you comfort_eagle_bearer

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on October 16, 2021, 08:07:33 PM
We went to an outdoor thing tonight and needed a quick tea when we got home, so beans on toast it was. Very comforting. Thank you comfort_eagle_bearer

i had a chippy tea, battered sausage and a king rib

JesusAndYourBush

Beans on toast is lovely.  And when I've lost track of time and look at my watch an it's Oh-For-Fucks-Sake o clock I can rustle up beans on toast in about 3 minutes.

Jittlebags

Beans on the side, not on the toast. Then you can scoop some beans onto the edge of your toast as you eat it. Crunchy, not soggy. For similar reason, I give the toast 30 seconds to cool down before adding butter. Ditto fried eggs.

gib

yeah, this isn't the 'beans by toast' thread

Catalogue of ills

This is Beans-on-the-Toast mate, Beans-by-the-Toast is up yonder, take the first left.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Jittlebags on October 16, 2021, 08:25:43 PM
Beans on the side, not on the toast. Then you can scoop some beans onto the edge of your toast as you eat it. Crunchy, not soggy. For similar reason, I give the toast 30 seconds to cool down before adding butter. Ditto fried eggs.

Maybe you could splodge the beans in the centre of the plate, then arrange toast around them in a circular fashion, like cocktail stick sausage/onion/cheese combos at a wedding buffet?

Quote from: Jittlebags on October 16, 2021, 08:25:43 PM

I quite agree.
Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on October 16, 2021, 04:51:23 PM
Just realised I shouldn't really be contributing to a beans on toast thread as, despite what I wrote earlier, I usually have the beans in a bowl with the (Tory) toast cut into triangular quarters on a side plate. I often use the toast triangles to scoop up the beans, in the same way you might use pieces of roti to eat dhal.

Cuntbeaks

Own brand reduced salt and sugar are my go to. If im cooking other stuff in the oven I'll bosh the beans in an enamelled pie dish, stir in some sort of flavour enhancer, be it chilli sauce or some Schwartz bbq or cajun. Let them cook for 25 mins or so until they're thick and luxurious, then scarf like a disturbed dog.

the science eel

Quote from: canadagoose on October 16, 2021, 04:42:11 PM
Add cheese and use the beans with the little sausages in them, and it's perfect. Also needs brown sauce mixed in with the beans.

yes but this is by NO means 'beans on toast'.

the Germans have a word for it - but it's not 'beans on toast'

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 16, 2021, 07:49:03 PM
What about the bean alternatives?
Spaghetti - not a fan. Somehow the texture of it doesn't meld well with the bread. Ravioli though, strangely, seems to work fine, despite also being pasta. Actually I think I'd rank ravioli on par with beans.

What kind of absolute lunatic thinks pasta on toast is okay?

My fave beans consumption scenario is 1/2 a tin of Heinz BBQ variety off a shallow plate.

shiftwork2

Alright well the toast can fuck off due to sogginess, I prefer a jacket potato.  Beans by the side (I do like cuntbeaks's enhanced-bean oven idea above) with grated cheddar and Tabasco over the top.  It's perfect and a bit of an autumn-warmer.

Beans.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on October 16, 2021, 09:13:43 PM
What kind of absolute lunatic thinks pasta on toast is okay?

My fave beans consumption scenario is 1/2 a tin of Heinz BBQ variety off a shallow plate.

Lasagne sandwich on garlic bread is good

thenoise

Sherringford Hovis

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Beanenfreude

Mit toastwurst

In der bahnhof

Bitte

pancreas

Like everything, they are improved with the addition of high quality fish sauce (megachef or red boat, for example).