Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:49:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Histor's Eye

Started by Catalogue Trousers, October 16, 2021, 09:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: EggsLikeABird on November 13, 2021, 10:21:30 PM
Naughty little dig at Rich there.
https://twitter.com/draconIANdays/status/1459647318060376065

I'm struggling with whether he did much of it in Herring's style as a sly meta-reference or if I'm just noticing that vibe because I'm looking for it and some of it is in the DNA of Stew's approach due to having worked with Herring for years. Either way it's not very  interesting to think or post about.. but I will!

idunnosomename

so many layers of ahhhhhh reallly, who knows

Twonty Gostelow

Surely Lee isn't stupid enough to think he'd have been better off without being in a double act with Herring.

Obviously no one knows for sure, because no doubt Lee was funny in the first place, but a lot of his fans are there today because of how he was able to play his comedy persona off Herring.

Video Game Fan 2000

I think Stew was incredibly good as part of a double act, I don't think that's the nostalgia talking he was just born for it. He's got all the relevant straight man chops in spades - the staggered timing, exasperation, great stone face, more variations on 'miserable killjoy' than anyone could want, perpetually wounded self-importance but never whiny or abrasive. Now a huge part of his work involves him imitating a second voice or pretending one is there in order to respond to it.

edit : he even does it in the dig in the clip posted, addressing a third person "look, its not there"

Thursday

Surely the implication of what he's saying is they've both done better work since parting.

Pink Gregory

Oh come on, it's a joke at both of their expense.  There's no venom in there, it's just Stew being cheeky.

idunnosomename

Avril Lavigne

I imagine Stew gets more out of people arguing over the intent of his material than simply agreeing with it anyway, like a bird's agreeing.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 14, 2021, 01:41:39 AM
Oh come on, it's a joke at both of their expense.  There's no venom in there, it's just Stew being cheeky.

Possibly - but I was thinking of what he's said since, and his apparent cutting of ties.

All speculation though. Like Video Game says, Lee is not sentimental and nostalgic like Herring is, or would rather not show it.

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 14, 2021, 12:27:38 AM
so many layers of ahhhhhh reallly, who knows

He said "layers" like birds lay eggs.

EGG.

Twonty Gostelow

I wonder if Hale and Pace send each other Christmas cards?

EggsLikeABird

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 14, 2021, 01:41:39 AM
Richard saying "I liked and respected him, but it turns out that wasnt the case" followed by Rich telling us that Stew didnt get in contact when he had the bollock removed probably says it isnt him being cheeky.

Ferris

Bigfella

Quote from: EggsLikeABird on November 13, 2021, 10:21:30 PM
Naughty little dig at Rich there.
https://twitter.com/draconIANdays/status/1459647318060376065
My phone won't let me view anything on twitter, could somebody please quote it?  This is one of the best threads in history - we all want to know the nitty gritty of what our favourite performers think of each other.

Magnum Valentino

He's talking about being able to understand an instance of fundamental incompatibility in something else because at the time he was in a double act with Richard Herring, adding "maybe it's time to move on". Reading it like that strips it of colour and probable intention though, so do watch the clip to hear it in the spirit it was likely meant to be received.

This whole show is a work in progress version of Content Provider and someone's stuck it on YouTube if anyone wants to see:

https://youtu.be/xK2A77XFjIY

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Bigfella on November 14, 2021, 02:58:23 AM
                                  My phone won't let me view anything on twitter, could somebody please quote it?  This is one of the best threads in history - we all want to know the nitty gritty of what our favourite performers think of each other.
"[My first wife] was a jazz/folk musician. Wracked with self-loathing. Because she realised what she was trying to achieve was pointless. And she was very depressed, because she felt she was trying to combine two incompatible approaches to the ultimate detriment of both. And I related to her, because at the time I was in a double act with Richard Herring."

(laughter and applause)

"Yeah the jazz/folk musician - MOVE ON! God knows I have!" (audience laughter) "Maybe someone else needs to!" (pause, smile) "The jazz/folk musician thing, created - I won't say it on the tour, it's not fair, is it. The jazz/folk - I just made that up then. It's not even written on here" (shows script) "look, it's not there. Made that up. Look at that, the camera. I just said - it's not on there. I just said that."

Gurke and Hare

That line was in the final show of Content Provider wasn't it? I've definitely heard it before seeing that twitter clip.

Magnum Valentino

It was in the performance, cut from broadcast, and then released separately as a cut scene on YouTube later.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 14, 2021, 04:09:52 PM
That line was in the final show of Content Provider wasn't it? I've definitely heard it before seeing that twitter clip.
The line "...because at the time I was in a double act with Richard Herring" was in the final show. The rest of it wasn't.

AzureSky

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on November 14, 2021, 07:20:49 AM
He's talking about being able to understand an instance of fundamental incompatibility in something else because at the time he was in a double act with Richard Herring, adding "maybe it's time to move on". Reading it like that strips it of colour and probable intention though, so do watch the clip to hear it in the spirit it was likely meant to be received.

This whole show is a work in progress version of Content Provider and someone's stuck it on YouTube if anyone wants to see:

https://youtu.be/xK2A77XFjIY

Nearly watched all of it, but it's now gone.

pigamus

Well it's true, isn't it? There's a big part of Herring's brain that's stuck in 1995.

Captain Z

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on November 14, 2021, 04:46:28 PM
It was in the performance, cut from broadcast, and then released separately as a cut scene on YouTube later.

I'm guessing this is that clip:

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/stewartlee/368062344?autoplay=1

chveik

is ever going to release a snowflage/tornado special?

DrGreggles

Quote from: chveik on November 14, 2021, 11:57:13 PM
is ever going to release a snowflage/tornado special?

Probably after he finishes touring it - if that ever happens.
He's previously filmed one of the last shows.

Pranet

This is sort of the latest Stewart Lee thread?

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but the Slapstick thing he did with forum favourite Robin Ince is on youtube now. Part of the reason for this post is to remind me that I'm 49 minutes in when I go back to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBIc3e3Wbjg

non capisco

Quote from: Pranet on November 26, 2021, 11:17:44 PMThis is sort of the latest Stewart Lee thread?

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but the Slapstick thing he did with forum favourite Robin Ince is on youtube now. Part of the reason for this post is to remind me that I'm 49 minutes in when I go back to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBIc3e3Wbjg

Father Abraham has let himself go.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: non capisco on November 26, 2021, 11:24:46 PMFather Abraham has let himself go.

"Where am I all coming from?"

Pink Gregory

Watched that last year when it went out.  Really pleases me that underneath all the layers Stew just really likes silly clowning