Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:47:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Histor's Eye

Started by Catalogue Trousers, October 16, 2021, 09:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy147

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 18, 2021, 09:49:07 PM
There's a since-reverted edit removing any mention of Lee from the article.

Except for some reason they left in a link to "Lee and Herring" at the top.

Cuellar

The same user seems to have added Stewart Lee's name to a random selection of articles e.g. the British International Motor Show:

QuoteIn 1905, it moved to Olympia, London, where it was held for the next 32 years before moving to the Earls Court Exhibition Centre from 1937 until 1976, except for the period of World War II during which time there were no shows. From 1978 until 2004, it was held every second year at the National Exhibition Centre (NEC), Birmingham, with the 2004 event being held in May, rather than the traditional October, to avoid a clash with the Paris Motor Show.[3] The 1980 event was attended by both the actor Lewis Collins and the stand-up comedianStewart Lee.

and 'Statue of Winston Churchill':

QuoteOthers present at the unveiling included The Queen Mother, members of the Churchill family across four generations, Edward Heath (then Prime Minister), the stand-up comedian Stewart Lee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/82.69.78.229

AsparagusTrevor

And that was probably Stewart Lee

idunnosomename

Stewart Lee would've been five years old when that statue was unveiled which amuses me greatly

Replies From View

Quite a worrying level of obsession, if truth be told.

The effort.

Thomas

Quote from: Cuellar on October 19, 2021, 10:09:31 AM
The same user seems to have added Stewart Lee's name to a random selection of articles e.g. the British International Motor Show:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/82.69.78.229

At least one IP location finder places that user in Stoke Newington. The edits were made in June. I wonder if it was part of some effort for Stew's recent radio documentary about unreliable narration, which does indeed go into algorithms and Wikipedia articles.

Replies From View

STORK WING LEE

like a bird's STUART

Cuellar

Quote from: Thomas on October 19, 2021, 12:43:58 PM
At least one IP location finder places that user in Stoke Newington. The edits were made in June. I wonder if it was part of some effort for Stew's recent radio documentary about unreliable narration, which does indeed go into algorithms and Wikipedia articles.

Interesting! That Stew, what is he like.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Replies From View on October 16, 2021, 11:52:36 PM
My understanding of TMWRNJ was that they wanted to minimise the kind of reshooting and editing they needed to do for Fist of Fun.
yeah watching some there is basically no editing on the audience tracks. The audience are just utterly bemused in the early ones with stuff like The Organ Gang. It clearly is all as-live

JamesTC

The audience reaction growing week to week for Men of Achievement 1974 was great.

Old Nehamkin

I liked that Pliny account on twitter that would just relentlessly reply to every single one of Richard Herring's "International Men's Day" posts with appropriate bird puns.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Speaking of role reversal[nb]Ian Role, a driving instructor, lives with Ian Reversal, a baker[/nb], in the "consider the lilies" sketch it's Rich as Matthew challenging Stew as Jesus' simplistic advice with the reality of the situation. "It's not enough is it, to say consider the lily. I've got my wife on my back, right - don't make that face, Jesus - what am I supposed to tell her, 'oh don't worry, I'm just going to lie naked in a field'?"

idunnosomename

Cant believe Brian Cant saying "cuckolded by a spleen in a top hat" doesnt get a laugh

George Oscar Bluth II

Tell you what turned out to be pretty prescient: The Ironic Review. In 1998 it was a satire of a tiny media clique that most viewers would have had little idea about, now it's how our entire Twitter fueled commentariat works.

EggsLikeABird

Egg, egg, egg, egg.

Watched all these again recently. TMWRNJ is still really good, and shame it never got an official release. Probably not going to get one now, since Stew and Richard arent on speaking terms, and may not be again considering its hardly like they're Dudley and Peter. I doubt Stew gives a fuck or needs to deal with Herring ever again.

Fist of Fun isnt that funny, apart from Kevin Eldon and Peter Baynham's bits.

pigamus

Maybe Herring should recreate TMWRNJ. That's the only way it's ever going to get released. He just needs somebody to play Stew.

EggsLikeABird

Quote from: pigamus on October 19, 2021, 03:40:48 PM
Maybe Herring should recreate TMWRNJ. That's the only way it's ever going to get released. He just needs somebody to play Stew.
This Morning with Richard and Me2?

pigamus

Robin Ince does a great Stewart Lee impression

Ferris

Quote from: pigamus on October 19, 2021, 03:52:40 PM

I might be thinking of Ince - was it the one he did on RHLSTP (rhlstp)? I remember a guest doing an absolutely spot-on one that really made me laugh because I just wasn't expecting it.

pigamus

Probably - he does a great John Peel as well

danwho9

I don't know why Pliny's surname being 'Harris' amuses me so much but it always does.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: EggsLikeABird on October 19, 2021, 03:36:40 PM
Egg, egg, egg, egg.

Watched all these again recently. TMWRNJ is still really good, and shame it never got an official release. Probably not going to get one now, since Stew and Richard arent on speaking terms, and may not be again considering its hardly like they're Dudley and Peter. I doubt Stew gives a fuck or needs to deal with Herring ever again.

Fist of Fun isnt that funny, apart from Kevin Eldon and Peter Baynham's bits.

Apparently, it was Stewart's reluctance to get involved in the purchase from BBC and subsequent release of TMWRNJ, despite the fact he could afford it comfortably and would have recouped that AND profited, that led to their falling out.

You can tell on the Fist of Fun extras that Stew is really uncomfortable looking back at all that stuff. I can understand that someone would just straight up not be interested in doing something like that, regardless if it was an easy payday, but I would love an official release with the level of bonus stuff FoF got.

non capisco

Some good old pure conjecture (ie. probable bullshit) from me here - I think he might also have had reservations about some of the material eg. the "strip mining" his family's lives he talks about in that interview for the 'When Things...' sketches. And his Gail Porter rants haven't aged well.

markburgle

Quote from: pigamus on October 19, 2021, 03:52:40 PM

He should do a high concept thing, like that Dylan movie where he's played by 7 different people. Get Terry Christian in one episode, a squashed Morrissey in another, etc

DrGreggles

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 19, 2021, 05:42:20 PM
Apparently, it was Stewart's reluctance to get involved in the purchase from BBC and subsequent release of TMWRNJ, despite the fact he could afford it comfortably and would have recouped that AND profited, that led to their falling out.

You can tell on the Fist of Fun extras that Stew is really uncomfortable looking back at all that stuff. I can understand that someone would just straight up not be interested in doing something like that, regardless if it was an easy payday, but I would love an official release with the level of bonus stuff FoF got.

FoF broke even, but the Beeb wanted 3 times as much for TMWRNJ - and far less bonus footage would be available.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: non capisco on October 19, 2021, 05:46:06 PM
Some good old pure conjecture (ie. probable bullshit) from me here - I think he might also have had reservations about some of the material eg. the "strip mining" his family's lives he talks about in that interview for the 'When Things...' sketches. And his Gail Porter rants haven't aged well.

I egg-ree. Lee's clearly moved on from that persona and style and seems to heavily curate his image by staying away from social media and panel shows, for example. Watching old episodes of TMWRNJ, Herring barely seems to have changed much (in fact I think he's still peddling that fucking Lord of the Dance Settee line) whereas Lee is completely different, and quite unlikeable. I watched a few episodes yesterday and there are some pretty vicious tirades against women daring to appear in Loaded or FHM which probably made more sense at the time but just seem nasty now.

I found myself really enjoying The Organ Gang. Some great lines in there - "the cheeky vestigial wormlike pouch!".

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on October 19, 2021, 02:24:28 PM
I liked that Pliny account on twitter that would just relentlessly reply to every single one of Richard Herring's "International Men's Day" posts with appropriate bird puns.

Hen-Tern-National Hen's D-egg I HATE HENS

idunnosomename

Heres a lost Organ Gang episode I never knew had been made (despite being posted here 14 years ago)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbPyRd8Cweo

Animated to the original Brian Cant voiceover. The Norm from the Twix adverts reference seems even odder now.