Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,464
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:24:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

It's War Christmas!

Started by king_tubby, October 17, 2021, 06:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tubby

Who is respecting the dead of war the hardest in the next few weeks? Let's start with this respectful tribute:

https://twitter.com/UKEssex1/status/1449709877589417986

I give this six respects out of ten.

Fambo Number Mive

Putting the poppy in the centre of the beret like some kind of military badge. And some kind of knitted poppy waistcoat. How can anyone have thought that was a good idea?

dissolute ocelot

Are they going to burn that on Nov 5?

katzenjammer

Quote from: king_tubby on October 17, 2021, 06:42:47 PM
Who is respecting the dead of war the hardest in the next few weeks? Let's start with this respectful tribute:

'Private Elephant Legs reporting for duty sah!'

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: king_tubby on October 17, 2021, 06:42:47 PM

That's a hell of a lot of bullet wounds.

Icehaven

Icehaven

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 17, 2021, 06:55:54 PM
That's a hell of a lot of bullet wounds.

Also appears to have been shot up the bum.

shiftwork2

I buy a poppy each year as it used to be respectful remembrance.  'Never again'.  But this veteran hero shit has now almost completely replaced that rather good idea.

bomb_dog

A few years back at the NFL matches in that there London they have now, they replaced the usual hidden item in the cup-and-ball swap around game they play on the big screens - 'guess the cup the ball is under?'

Only they don't use cups, they use American Football helmets. And they hid a poppy underneath the CGI helmet swaparound.

Bonus chortle - they call it the 'helmet shuffle'.

Shit Good Nose

I bet captain Tom is hot in that, and I don't mean in a sexy way.

buttgammon

Quote from: shiftwork2 on October 17, 2021, 07:00:29 PM
I buy a poppy each year as it used to be respectful remembrance.  'Never again'.  But this veteran hero shit has now almost completely replaced that rather good idea.

Sadly, yes. It didn't used to be like this, did it? I do actually mark Remembrance Sunday, in that I always think about the horrors of war and especially my great-uncle, who was killed in the Second World War, but the weird politicised event that turns the tragedies of the past into a patriotic wankathon is something I actively avoid.

mothman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 17, 2021, 07:07:07 PM
I bet captain Tom is hot in that, and I don't mean in a sexy way.

He'll be fine. Veterans don't sweat, remember - be it in the heat of battle, on a park bench, or in the Woking branch of Pizza Express.

KennyMonster

Disappointed this isn't about celebrating christmas in Newcastle.

SpiderChrist

How fucked up is it that the Royal British Legion take money from BaE Systems, Lockheed Martin UK, and Sphinx Systems Limited?

buttgammon

Quote from: SpiderChrist on October 17, 2021, 07:45:00 PM
How fucked up is it that the Royal British Legion take money from BaE Systems, Lockheed Martin UK, and Sphinx Systems Limited?

I recently heard something about how tobacco companies are hedging their bets by investing in smoking cessation products and inhalers.

Jollity

This year, the Poppy Shop is selling £699.99 cufflinks, amongst other things. I just imagined some wealthy politician or someone on TV getting bothered for not wearing a poppy, because nobody noticed how fancy his cufflinks were.

touchingcloth

Quote from: bomb_dog on October 17, 2021, 07:03:53 PM
A few years back at the NFL matches in that there London they have now, they replaced the usual hidden item in the cup-and-ball swap around game they play on the big screens - 'guess the cup the ball is under?'

That doesn't sound like how NFL is played.

Jerzy Bondov

Oh here we go another thread sneering at the good patriotic people of this proud country. Is it any wonder your lot keep losing elections?

idunnosomename

shame they burnt captain tom really. could have stuck a bunch of gears inside him and have him breakdance for the 11/11/11

Jerzy Bondov

flotemysost

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 17, 2021, 06:45:44 PM
Putting the poppy in the centre of the beret like some kind of military badge gaping anus

That timid pigeon-toed, hands-in-pockets stance hardly gives off the staunch, no-nonsense brand of patriotic masculinity they're surely hoping to promote. Though I wonder if passers-by ever rearrange him into different positions. I think I'd try and bend him into a mid-Kozachok squat. Or something obscene, obvs.

Butchers Blind

Probably save some money this year and make my own poppy.

Cerys

idunnosomename

Quote from: Butchers Blind on October 17, 2021, 11:00:28 PM
Probably save some money this year and make my own poppy.
YOU FUCKINFG XCUNT

Glebe

Mr. Soft has let himself go in a patriotic manner.

katzenjammer

Quote from: buttgammon on October 17, 2021, 07:07:38 PM
Sadly, yes. It didn't used to be like this, did it?

I don't know when it changed (maybe early 2000s?) but I'm pretty sure it just used to be poppy sellers for a couple of weeks, a minute's silence and a ceremony on Remembrance Sunday.

Buelligan

Over here, we just literally have a wee thing at the memorial, if you want to go.  Literally, quite literally, all.

madhair60

Quote from: Buelligan on October 18, 2021, 07:47:38 AM
Over here, we just literally have a wee thing at the memorial, if you want to go.  Literally, quite literally, all.

Sorry, are you saying you all piss on the memorial?

Chedney Honks

No surprise that on this forum people would have preferred Hitler to win.