Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,384
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:25:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

It's War Christmas!

Started by king_tubby, October 17, 2021, 06:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

earl_sleek

Say what you like about Hitler, at least he wasn't a woke millennial with blue hair.

Chedney Honks

I think a lot of people these days would agree with that.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: earl_sleek on October 18, 2021, 08:40:55 AM
Say what you like about Hitler, at least he wasn't a woke millennial with blue hair.

Say what you like about Hitler, literally, say what you like. The cunt's dead, what's he going to do?

Buelligan

Quote from: madhair60 on October 18, 2021, 08:12:22 AM
Sorry, are you saying you all piss on the memorial?

That is exactly what I am saying here.

robhug

Nothing says respect the war dead more than a football team with a specially commissioned home shirt with a poppy motif incorporated adjacent to the Chinese bookmaker logo.

Ill also be actively avoiding using busses who's livery isn't completely covered in poppy's, all non poppied busses are a kick in the teeth to the wasted lives of our brave boys.

bgmnts

It's a shame because obviously I want to feel, desperately, that most lads chucked into those meat grinders by old cunts would be appalled by the weird glorification of their deaths, but sadly I think most of them would have been well up for this shit.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: king_tubby on October 17, 2021, 06:42:47 PM
Who is respecting the dead of war the hardest in the next few weeks? Let's start with this respectful tribute:

https://twitter.com/UKEssex1/status/1449709877589417986

I give this six respects out of ten.

Remember when Cannon Fodder, a game that genuinely cleverly juxtaposed the horrors of war with jaunty bang bang UB-40 knockoff fun, got savaged by the red-tops for DISRASPECTING ARE BOUYS for having a poppy on the cover as a hallmark of the futility of the bang bang fun war depicted in its gameplay? Then we have this.

Cuellar

madhair60

I once pissed so hard on a serviceman's grave that his corpse all foamed up and out on my river of piss

Buelligan

And yet, in a fit-for-purpose oven-ready pub stall, you can hardly shift the cake.  Says something, that does.

Glebe

Kankurette

Quote from: bgmnts on October 18, 2021, 09:52:35 AM
It's a shame because obviously I want to feel, desperately, that most lads chucked into those meat grinders by old cunts would be appalled by the weird glorification of their deaths, but sadly I think most of them would have been well up for this shit.
Some WW1 veterans absolutely hated Remembrance Day and all the jingoistic crap that went with it, and I don't blame them. It mainly seems to be people who weren't even alive when WW1 or WW2 happened who get into the competitive poppy shagging.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: bgmnts on October 18, 2021, 09:52:35 AM

You think wrong. Most of those who were actually there would hate this. 'Never again' was the polite way of saying 'fuck that shit'.

bgmnts

I hope I'm wrong.

I just fucking hate it all and I want every cunt who is into all this shit, every bastard gammon cunt to spend a year in a ditch in the middle east somewhere getting shelled to fuck and maybe losing a limb. See how great it all is then.

idunnosomename

world war 1 definitely, but most of it seems about ww2 now. think of all the spitfires etc. never see a biplane, do you

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 18, 2021, 01:39:09 PM
You think wrong. Most of those who were actually there would hate this. 'Never again' was the polite way of saying 'fuck that shit'.

yeah this. anti-war art/literature was also extremely popular

hamfist

Quote from: robhug on October 18, 2021, 09:46:56 AM
Ill also be actively avoiding using busses who's livery isn't completely covered in poppy's, all non poppied busses are a kick in the teeth to the wasted lives of our brave boys.

Same. I'm only using the number 1914 to Lest We Forget from now on

idunnosomename

There will probably be MPs dressed like that this year.

imitationleather

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on October 18, 2021, 02:27:51 PM

Without a doubt, this kind of stuff twenty years ago would have been viewed as disgraceful and disrespectful by the exact same people who completely lap it up now. It's a real signifier of just how weird society has got during that time.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: king_tubby on October 17, 2021, 06:42:47 PM

How do we know this isn't just one of those street performers people that stays still for a long time?  Maybe they'll do a robot move every now and again.  Wave at the kids when they put a pound or more in (nothing if it's less).

Chedney Honks

I remember doing war poetry for gcse and I remember the theme was war is fucking shit, not we won the war who's got a boner

Buelligan

Yeah, it's since British politicians realised how much money their friends and donors get out of the arms industry (and how easy it would be for someone with any morals at all to point out how disgusting that is).  Now International Killing is virtually a religion in the UK.  Demented, ugly, weird as fuck that people have fallen for it.

It's no coincidence that all these lads behave the same way when there's an opportunity to stroke a tank.

does this happen across the entirety of the UK or is it specifically English?

Alberon

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Buelligan on October 18, 2021, 02:54:51 PM

What a surprise, the guy is everywhere these days. They're probably just SCUDs wrapped in gold leaf.

imitationleather

And we wonder why more arms dealers don't post here.

EDIT: Actually, what am I saying? I have my suspicions that quite a few of you are in that line of work.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: imitationleather on October 18, 2021, 03:23:00 PM
And we wonder why more arms dealers don't post here.

EDIT: Actually, what am I saying? I have my suspicions that quite a few of you are in that line of work.

I know an arms dealer, if that counts.

Johnny Yesno

Endicott

Quote from: katzenjammer on October 18, 2021, 07:31:11 AM
I don't know when it changed (maybe early 2000s?) but I'm pretty sure it just used to be poppy sellers for a couple of weeks, a minute's silence and a ceremony on Remembrance Sunday.

In the 70s British troops were on deployment in NI and I can remember Remembrance being a thing that seemed to glorify the Army and neither I nor any of my left wing friends wanted anything to do with it. The White Poppy was a thing then if you really wanted to make a statement about it. However Remembrance wasn't massively promoted in the media quite like it is today. Now everything is more polarised, more over the top, and seems to go on nearly all year round in some form or other, OUR BRAVE BOYS.

So perhaps you can see a germ of the current spectacle beginning with The Falklands War in '82, but taking a while to ramp up, just being continually bumped by the next overseas engagement and then of course you hit Afganistan/Iraq in the early 2000s. And suddenly here we are today.