News:

Welcome to the new look Cook'd and Bomb'd


The magnificently intense music of The Armed

Started by Johnny Yesno, October 17, 2021, 08:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: niat on October 21, 2021, 04:35:44 PM
It's interesting to see who's actually involved in this band.

My favourite album so far this year has been Genghis Tron's Dream Weapon (Ultrapop is a close second). It's nothing like The Armed, though their earlier stuff did have some similarities.

They got a new singer for this album: Tony Wolski, who just happens to be the most visible member of The Armed at the moment, though he isn't credited on Ultrapop and did interviews as "Adam Vallely", who's actually a British music blogger. It gets very complicated, as Kurt Ballou is definitely still involved in The Armed but isn't officially credited either. He produced Dream Weapon, too.

Yeah I gave up trying to keep track of all that years ago, far too much work. That's what I meant about it being more of a collective than a band, like it's someone's art project and they get other people involved as and when they need to. And part of that art seems to be as little information about the people involved as possible.

boki

Quote from: niat on October 21, 2021, 04:35:44 PMThey got a new singer for this album: Tony Wolski, who just happens to be the most visible member of The Armed at the moment, though he isn't credited on Ultrapop and did interviews as "Adam Vallely", who's actually a British music blogger.
Hahaha, I didn't realise that the 'Adam is in The Armed' thing was actually canon - I thought it was just an in-joke amongst his mates that keeps popping up on his podcast (Audience Please[nb]Yes, as in the FOTL lyric[/nb])!

Johnny Yesno

Excellent. Thanks for the headsup, niat.

I just watched the video for the title track and I like it.

GENGHIS TRON - Dream Weapon (Official Music Video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMS_Mvp8wjw

As you say, not as much as The Armed but I'm definitely gonna check out the rest of the album.

Have psychedelics hit the Detroit post hardcore scene in the last few years, or something?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 21, 2021, 04:55:35 PM
Yeah I gave up trying to keep track of all that years ago, far too much work. That's what I meant about it being more of a collective than a band, like it's someone's art project and they get other people involved as and when they need to. And part of that art seems to be as little information about the people involved as possible.

See also Secret Chiefs 3.

Johnny Yesno

I just went to Bandcamp to have a listen to Dream Weapon and saw it's only $12 (£8.82) for the CD. 'Woot! Bargain!' I thought.

Fucking £20.14 postage, though. I know the postage situation from the US has been bad for a while but that's just insane. Bah! :-(

But it's piracy that's killing music, apparently.

Johnny Yesno

Ritual Circle sounds like Kosmische music! That's good enough for me.

https://genghistron.bandcamp.com/track/ritual-circle

Fuck it. Ordered the CD off a trader on Amazon.




BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 21, 2021, 06:48:34 PM
I just went to Bandcamp to have a listen to Dream Weapon and saw it's only $12 (£8.82) for the CD. 'Woot! Bargain!' I thought.

Fucking £20.14 postage, though. I know the postage situation from the US has been bad for a while but that's just insane. Bah! :-(

But it's piracy that's killing music, apparently.

That happened to me recently too. What pisses me off is that the album was available for streaming on the app once you bought the CD but there was no way to buy it digitally and no way to buy the CD and say "don't post it to me" so I could listen to it on the app. I think it was 16 quid shipping for a 3 dollar CD, fuck that.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 20, 2021, 10:38:28 PM
And where's The Mollusk? I'm surprised he doesn't have The Armed on his list of punk bands that are better than Idles.

I'm here! Soz I've been bombarding myself with endless swathes of (largely 2021 released) extreme metal for the last few weeks and hardly made time for anything else. Will download some of this and report back soon :)

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 21, 2021, 07:35:12 PM
I'm here! Soz I've been bombarding myself with endless swathes of (largely 2021 released) extreme metal for the last few weeks and hardly made time for anything else. Will download some of this and report back soon :)

Hooray! I made some suggestions as to where to start in the OP. Both Only Love and Ultrapop really, really kick off five tracks in, I reckon.

boki

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 21, 2021, 06:31:52 PM
As you say, not as much as The Armed but I'm definitely gonna check out the rest of the album.
Oh, those albums definitely work together, I have had the urge to cue one up after the other a couple of times.

QuoteHave psychedelics hit the Detroit post hardcore scene in the last few years, or something?
I wonder if the influence of Fucked Up has found its way down across the border.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: niat on October 20, 2021, 02:42:01 PM
Tickets are still available for Live at the Masonic, here: https://ultrapop.live/ until the 26th of October.

You can only watch it "as live", though, and the times are all in EST (the 6PM showing is at 11PM BST, for example).

Well worth the $12. That's less than nine quid in real money!

No word of a Blu Ray or DVD yet, but I'm guessing they'll wait for these streams to finish before announcing it.

Am I right in thinking they've extended this? Or do I need to buy a ticket right now if I want to watch it in the next few days?

Johnny Yesno

They're still there, so it seems I have my answer. Just got to persuade my friend with a projector that he really want to see it.

Edit: Oh, wait, it's still 26th in EST

Johnny Yesno

Yesterday was a good day for music. My Ghengis Tron CD arrived in the post and I watched the Ultrapop film with my friend and his partner on their projector and big screen.

I'm not sure what to think of the film, tbh. The 'live' performances are great but the 'narrative' bits were just far too long and inconsequential for a 50-minute film. I just wanted to see them perform, really. And the beginning is stupid for people who are likely using the site for the first time and who might have all sorts of other reasons for doubting the sound settings on their gear.

I don't know what to make of these scheduled 'screenings' either. I mean, it did make it feel like an event, I suppose, but it turned out to be a bit stressful making sure we had the link to the screening ready to use at the right time. I would have preferred to faff around with a DVD or an on demand stream. But over all, it was fun and not bad value for money. There's still a few days left for anyone who might be interested.

Deliciousbass

They played an Adult Swim set recently:

Absolutely love'em.

Johnny Yesno

That's great. If I'm honest, I enjoyed it more than the film.