Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:46:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

There's never been a good drum solo. CHANGE MY MIND.

Started by Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead, October 17, 2021, 10:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: SpiderChrist on October 25, 2021, 11:30:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ia95oiS5LE

Heh! What an arse. This video has some interesting stuff in the description:

Buddy Rich Bus Tapes with Comic Strip (read along): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy5JPCLx7WI

Quote"The deal with Buddy," he [trombonist Dave Panichi] continues, "was that he was completely psychotic but predictable. And we always knew when he was going to go off. Basically, anytime he saw his wife he'd go off, anytime he ran out of reefer he'd go off, anytime that we had guests on the bus there was always a tangible display of authority for their benefit...basically him saying, 'I'm the boss, look at me exert my authority.'"

Just say no to drugs, cats.

And wives.

SpiderChrist

I saw Buddy Rich & His Big Band on his last tour of the UK - he was phenomenal and so were they.

Total cunt, mind.

kalowski

Why has Clyde Stubblefield not been mentioned?
QuoteI wanna give the drummer
Some of this funky soul
We got here
You don't have to do
No soloin', brother
Just keep what you got
Don't turn it loose
Cause it's a mother
When I count to four
I want everybody to lay off
Let the drummer go
When I count to four
I want you to come back in
5:19 here
https://youtu.be/AoQ4AtsFWVM

SpiderChrist

Groove drummers are where it's at. And an abundance of technique is no substitute for feel.

Pancake

Ringo's bit at the start of The End, before the guitars and love yous come in

Twonty Gostelow

Doov-chit doov-chit doov-chit, dugga-dugga-dugga-dugga-TCHEEEEEEESSSSSSHHHHH... bapbapbap b'decka b'decka b'decka BAP!

Never had a lesson in my life.

Magnum Valentino

famethrowa

Quote from: thecuriousorange on October 26, 2021, 08:20:42 PM
The intro to Rock n Roll by Led Zeppelin.

That had me beat for years, I assumed he was starting right on the 1 and could never count where the band comes in. Nowdays I realize he's literally playing the guitar intro to Johnny B Goode, easy!

Video Game Fan 2000

The best part of the Buddy Rich Bus tapes is when the guy says "don't threaten me, speak to me like a human being" and Buddy simply doesn't understand the sentiment, its beyond his comprehension at that moment. He might as well have been speaking Martian.

Johnny Yesno

famethrowa

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on October 27, 2021, 04:18:18 PM
The best part of the Buddy Rich Bus tapes is when the guy says "don't threaten me, speak to me like a human being" and Buddy simply doesn't understand the sentiment, its beyond his comprehension at that moment. He might as well have been speaking Martian.

I admire David Panichi's attitude there, keeps his cool and stands his ground. Though they both kind of "lost" the fight, I bet he didn't get off the bus and was up there for the next gig, but probably still sporting a beard as well. And getting paid as usual.

Fun fact: you can hear Dave Panichi on the song "Beds Are Burning". No clams there

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: famethrowa on October 27, 2021, 11:17:29 PM
I admire David Panichi's attitude there, keeps his cool and stands his ground. Though they both kind of "lost" the fight, I bet he didn't get off the bus and was up there for the next gig, but probably still sporting a beard as well. And getting paid as usual.

Under that comic strip video I posted further up the page, there's an explanation which includes the following paragraph:

QuoteNot only did Panichi not get fired, he remained in Buddy's band for another year. "The funny thing was he actually respected me for sticking up for myself," says the trombonist. "I mean, that night he was winking at me on the bandstand and shit. He actually liked the fact that I had some spirit, that I wasn't a pussy. And in a strange kind of way, there was some kind of bond there."

Magnum Valentino