News:

It's still under construction, so please bear with me

Cowboy Bebop (Netflix live-action remake)

Started by Mister Six, October 19, 2021, 05:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

They got Faye right (in that I really fancy her)

MojoJojo

Oh I dunno - I just watched the fourth one and enjoyed it. Faye joining the gang. I think there is good chemistry between the crew. There's humour - nothing laugh out loud, it's not a comedy - but it's a lot warmer than the anime. Faye is probably my favourite of the crew at the moment, genuinely fun to watch.

I also watched the timestamps, and I just don't see the bad CGI. Yeah, some of the shots aren't great but it's more a direction thing.

Lucky me, I get to enjoy it!

Sonny_Jim

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, I watched the anime about 2 weeks ago for the first time then started watching the the remake this week.

I thought it was fine, good fun to watch.  Jet and Spike are both on the money, tonally it seems to get most of it right.

Agree with the sentiment that the guy who plays vicious is either shit or poorly directed.  It might just be that the original character was always a bit shit and they didn't update it properly.

In my opinion the original is pretty shonky in places and this remake has a hard time handling that.

C_Larence

I've been really enjoying this so far! Just finished episode 7, which has my favourite moment from the anime
Spoiler alert
Faye watching her old Betamax
[close]
and I think they did it as well as they possibly could have without making a totally 1:1 remake of the original.

Sonny_Jim

Tbh even though I watched the anime recently I was having a hard time spotting the difference.  Some of it seems shot-for-shot, the big thing I noticed was during the introduction of EIN, I seem to remember that there was more focus on him being super smart/genetically engineered.

Also noticed the whole eco warriors/let us eat whales thing had been completely white washed, which was a shame if not predictable.  They kept in the Unabomber, why cut out green peace?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's a small thing perhaps, but I can't help feeling cynical about the inclusion of the various villains of the week in the opening credits. It doesn't mean anything to new viewers, so it strikes me as a ploy to keep fans of the original interested.

"Look! It's Mad Pierrot. Remember that episode? It was awesome, right? Well keep watching, because he's in this at some point."

I don't know. I watched the whole thing (albeit while browsing on my phone), so it obviously wasn't unbearable, but I can't think of a good reason to watch it when the original is right there. I don't want to act like it's some holy text, but all the changes made here just seemed to be for the worse. Giving the dognapper a sympathetic motive was an interesting wrinkle, but it just means Ein Joining the Bebob crew is a dumb coincidence. Etc...

Mister Six

This is fun - someone edited a scene from Cowboy Bebop to make it into Seinfeld...

https://vimeo.com/648384574

popcorn

Quote from: Mister Six on November 23, 2021, 04:16:45 AMThis is fun - someone edited a scene from Cowboy Bebop to make it into Seinfeld...

https://vimeo.com/648384574

I saw the unedited version of that scene before this, and it immediately made me think "This might have worked as a Seinfeld conversation somehow, but everything about it here feels embarrassing"

MojoJojo

Number one on US netflix for a few days now.

The fifth episode was a bit naff. Starts with a nice flashback, but then Jet's storyline is just a bit dull with an obvious twist. Spike and Faye's stuff is hampered by the script. The actors do a good job but whenever it gets going a terrible line brings it to a halt. It's not all bad, and thankfully the consensus is this is the worst episode, except possibly the end ending.

The next episode was properly good. First mention of Radical Edward. Some good action nicely balanced with a character stuff.

If they could just sort the script out this would be properly good.