Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:15:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris de Burgh - Legacy music video

Started by Fambo Number Mive, October 20, 2021, 09:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

jobotic

Quote from: TheMonk on October 21, 2021, 01:36:04 AM
For anyone who thinks ABBA's S.O.S. would be improved if it was deBurghified.
https://youtu.be/RW3KU5HXF2k

I like the idea that you think there are people who held that view but will now stand corrected.

ajsmith2

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on October 20, 2021, 03:18:30 PM
Anyone remember the time Chris de Burgh got a bad review in the Irish Times and went full Partridge?

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/chris-de-burgh-sees-red-1.735963

That's brilliant.

there also the story about him doing a private fan meet n greet (or similar) at the unlikely venue of Glasgow's hipster-leaning Mono venue, and voicing his offence at the title of  the Arab Strap live album The Cunted Circus as was on display in their ensuite record shop, Monorail. Wish I could find an online source for that somewhere but I have heard from credible sources that it is true and not a kerazy urban legend.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Glebe on October 21, 2021, 01:53:52 AM
Nah, mate. Nah. He's on about fanny fiddling.
The dream of the fisherman's wife

shiftwork2

By the way that person blundering in behind Chris and swiftly fucking off has given me the laugh of the month, it is just lovely.

gilbertharding

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on October 20, 2021, 03:18:30 PM
Anyone remember the time Chris de Burgh got a bad review in the Irish Times and went full Partridge?

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/chris-de-burgh-sees-red-1.735963

That isn't even a bad review (it's reprinted underneath his letter). It's full of stuff about how the audience loves it, along with self-deprecatory quips about the reviewer not getting it. Chris De Burgh should learn to read.

Butchers Blind

I like that Chris is a fan of the leather jacket and formal trouser look.

The Culture Bunker

When the #1 singles thread gets to Chris' most famous moment (quite a bit to get yet, mind) and we all give it a right kicking, is there any chance of the man himself making an appearance to tell us how wrong we are?

badaids

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 21, 2021, 01:42:39 PM
When the #1 singles thread gets to Chris' most famous moment (quite a bit to get yet, mind) and we all give it a right kicking, is there any chance of the man himself making an appearance to tell us how wrong we are?

We need to reprint Taylor Parked' coat down from the Chart Music Podcast in full here. The only bit I can remember - because it still makes me laugh - is that he resembles 'a man who should be in a field chucking potatoes at a cow'.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: badaids on October 21, 2021, 01:57:06 PM
We need to reprint Taylor Parked' coat down from the Chart Music Podcast in full here. The only bit I can remember - because it still makes me laugh - is that he resembles 'a man who should be in a field chucking potatoes at a cow'.
I don't think de Burgh looks even vaguely that interesting.

Glebe

Having scrutinized this new masterpiece for some time, here are my favourite moments:

Just one man can open a door/break down a wall - sexist.

"A million voices will be hurd."

The mouths of the raw CGI models of Dr. Manhattan as they sing along.

Chris' hand motions, particularly the 'break down a wall' one.

Chris' aforementioned turn to camera and look around the bad CGI garden.

Smiling CGI Gandhi opening his eyes - a particular highlight.

Quote from: SteveDave on October 20, 2021, 10:23:55 AMThanks to John Robins foisting his shit taste in music on his podcast listeners, I know that De Burgh has form in bad/funny videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUwek6zz2BE

Chris just having a drink in a hotel bar. Someone walks in behind him at one point, sees what's happening and leaves swiftly. Want to edit that out Chris? Nah.

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 21, 2021, 12:22:38 AM

Cuellar

So presumably this is all part of a Robin Hood concept album

Tikwid

Quote from: Cuellar on October 21, 2021, 08:06:55 PM
So presumably this is all part of a Robin Hood concept album
Was gonna say "nah that's Rick Wakeman's", but I just remembered he did a concept album about Mars last year in the vein of his most famous epics from the 70s (Six Wives, Journey, King Arthur etc). The de Burgh comparison still stands though because my god just LOOK at this video

holyzombiejesus

Why does he make these newer videos? Presumably the older ones are from when people would buy home videos, but the more recent ones aren't going to get shown on TV are they? Is there some weird channel that lays Chris De Burgh and Daniel O'Donnell clips?

ajsmith2

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 21, 2021, 09:07:55 PM
Why does he make these newer videos? Presumably the older ones are from when people would buy home videos, but the more recent ones aren't going to get shown on TV are they? Is there some weird channel that lays Chris De Burgh and Daniel O'Donnell clips?

YouTube?

idunnosomename

yeah i think you can train boomers to cast youtube to their tv these days. when they see Chris de Burgh marching with NPCs how can they not be down with it

Glebe

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 21, 2021, 09:07:55 PMIs there some weird channel that lays Chris De Burgh and Daniel O'Donnell clips?

That channel has interesting sexual proclivities!

DrGreggles

Quote from: SteveDave on October 20, 2021, 10:50:36 AM
Not CdB but I'm genuinely loving this piece of shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Far-FyJs1jA

The video, the song EVERYTHING!

Spoiler alert
Hi Popbitch!
[close]

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: ajsmith2 on October 21, 2021, 09:20:51 AM
there also the story about him doing a private fan meet n greet (or similar) at the unlikely venue of Glasgow's hipster-leaning Mono venue, and voicing his offence at the title of  the Arab Strap live album The Cunted Circus as was on display in their ensuite record shop, Monorail. Wish I could find an online source for that somewhere but I have heard from credible sources that it is true and not a kerazy urban legend.

Good lord, that's amazing. When worlds collide. I hope Stephen Pastel snapped a selfie with the Lady in Red hit-maker.

dr beat

QuoteGlebe's Alan Partridge reference

That is genius sir! :)

Glebe

The phone rings at the de Burgh residence.

CHRIS: Hello?

VFX COMPANY: Hi Chris, sorry to bother you, this is the guys who did the CGI for your 'Legacy' video. I'm afraid the VFX are actually not finished, in fact they're in a very rough state, can we have a bit more time to work on them?

CHRIS: Nah mate it's fine.

Quote from: dr beat on October 22, 2021, 07:25:00 PMThat is genius sir! :)

Haha, Thanks Dr. B! It just really reminded me off something... A-ha!

PaulTMA

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 22, 2021, 06:56:45 PM
Good lord, that's amazing. When worlds collide. I hope Stephen Pastel snapped a selfie with the Lady in Red hit-maker.

I've heard it is true from someone who ought to know these things, the only thing disputed is that some reckon it was a Fuck Off Machete CD, but The Cunted Circus is just the better story so I'm hoping that was the actual truth.  He booked Mono as a small venue to launch one of his own CDs, or something.

Glebe

I wonder if he's still healing people with his hands.

Goldentony

I cant imagine myself hearing a Chris DeBurgh song so I kept my music on shuffle for this and most of Atlantic City by Bruce Springsteen played it through

Glebe

Been in a daze over the last couple of days since this was posted. I feel like it might change my life in incredible ways.

The Mollusk

I genuinely can't get the fucking thing out of my head, I've just woke up hearing it again. I think it's cleansing me in ways I could never have imagined, sort of like when you sneer at a religious person's beliefs and then spend five minutes talking to them and have a total breakthrough, spilling out years of trauma and sobbing into their arms.

I'm scared of opening myself up to this song too much though because I don't think Chris would be too happy at all if you wept your mascara on to the shoulder of one of his nice shirts.

Custard

It still amazes me no end that a Miss World (2003) came out of his nutsack

https://rayanworld.com/db/pages/2017/07/13/003/zimg_003_3.jpg

How? HOWWWWW?!

shiftwork2

Guessing Chris's wife is a bit taller than him.

Custard

She is, and clearly an attractive woman in her day, but not Miss World levels of attractiveness. I just can't see how this possibly happened