Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 11:22:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Queen Elizabeth DEAD

Started by Mister Six, October 20, 2021, 03:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Having to use the Photoshop lens flare tool on all official portraits.

peanutbutter

Quote from: jobotic on November 20, 2021, 03:50:47 PMSo when she finally does cark it I wonder if it will be the beginning of the end for the monarchy.

Otherwise sensible people seem to like and respect the greedy old cow, but no one feels that way about Charles, do they? And he's not even the worst in the crew. Will people feel so not bothered about chucking so much money their way?
It'll absolutely be the end of what it currently is. She's pretty much the sole post-war monarch if you discount the years directly after the war as being fallout and probably plays a big part in why people still let themselves consider WW2 a modern event. You'd have to be over 75 or so to have any real memories of anyone else in that position. It'll be like me not wanting Arsene Wenger to be sacked because he had been around forever and immediately losing all interest in them afterwards.

Def agree the fact it'll be all kings past my lifetime isn't gonna help.

I predict a wave of denial, trying to force regality onto Charles, then a massive backlash possibly going so far as to forcing him out, then a drastically reduced sideshow position unless a similarly useful Elizabeth type figure emerges. They might try and skip Charles and use all the Diana death stuff to force people to like William though.

Jittlebags

I reckon she's lining up an osiphrage and a swan for a final meal like Mitterand and his ortolan.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: peanutbutter on November 20, 2021, 04:38:48 PMIt'll absolutely be the end of what it currently is. She's pretty much the sole post-war monarch if you discount the years directly after the war as being fallout and probably plays a big part in why people still let themselves consider WW2 a modern event. You'd have to be over 75 or so to have any real memories of anyone else in that position. It'll be like me not wanting Arsene Wenger to be sacked because he had been around forever and immediately losing all interest in them afterwards.

Def agree the fact it'll be all kings past my lifetime isn't gonna help.

I predict a wave of denial, trying to force regality onto Charles, then a massive backlash possibly going so far as to forcing him out, then a drastically reduced sideshow position unless a similarly useful Elizabeth type figure emerges. They might try and skip Charles and use all the Diana death stuff to force people to like William though.

I hope this is true. But I can easily envision the opposite, where a new 'modernised' monarchy folds easily into contemporary obsessing over identity, heritage and tradition. Charles might be unpopular and unsuited to media appearances, but William and Harry are unfortunately beloved by many people and undeniably good at playing the press like a fiddle. Wealthy people are also able to just chuck money at public opinion until it turns.

You're completely right about the Queen's link to the war, though. That is irreplaceable. Although that just made me shudder, thinking of all the arr brave lads and battle of Britain stuff to suffer through when she finally keels. War time nostalgia everywhere again. Hopefully I'll still be in Europe. Condolences to everyone who won't be able to avoid it.

Captain Z

I reckon Wills will kick-start the movement to abolish the monarchy, then just as we're waiting for the final official TV announcement George will appear on our screens holding his dad's severed head and usher in a new era of  Medieval-tier rule.

Video Game Fan 2000

They'll "abolish" the monarchy in a way that allows them to keep the tens of millions of pounds, 'uge tracts of land, legal exemptions and political influence but only their names and not faces will appear on currency.

Then as regular citizens like normal ordinary folks, folks like you and I, they can take up cabinet positions... and in the judiciary...

Alberon

Charles will be on the throne, but they'll use William as much as possible as the public seem to like him for some reason. Maybe his son, Damien(?), will go non-binary.

What title would he have if he did? Qing? Kueen?

Isn't there a roumour that William has been fucking some bird other then his wife for ages?  If so, then i can quickly see public support for him dropping.  As he gets older he'll likely become more self entitled and like his old man, so I suspect the public will begin to dislike him.

Also isn't general support for the royals mainly from those over 50?  I would like to think as there older supports die off that will be the end of them.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 20, 2021, 05:49:45 PMI hope this is true. But I can easily envision the opposite, where a new 'modernised' monarchy folds easily into contemporary obsessing over identity, heritage and tradition. Charles might be unpopular and unsuited to media appearances, but William and Harry are unfortunately beloved by many people and undeniably good at playing the press like a fiddle. Wealthy people are also able to just chuck money at public opinion until it turns.
I think it'll probably arrive there in the end, but it might require making Charles look terrible so that William seems amazing in comparison and it'll be unable to hit the ridiculous levels of deference that Elizabeth gets.
Think there's also a decent chance some figures even on the conservative side of things would feel a lot more comfortable running on platforms explicitly against the reigning monarch (but not the monarchy) if they smelt blood, which would be a big change in itself.

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 20, 2021, 05:58:55 PMThey'll "abolish" the monarchy in a way that allows them to keep the tens of millions of pounds, 'uge tracts of land, legal exemptions and political influence but only their names and not faces will appear on currency.
Yep, dead monarchs will go on currency instead. I can't imagine Elizabeth is gonna budge on that shit, the next election would be solely about putting her back on coins (most people will have not used a coin in years by this point, but that's irrelevant)

Johnny Foreigner

The Isle of Man coins are nicer than any of the UK ones. They feature cats, castles and motorcycles, and they also have a £5 coin. They are not legal tender in the UK, but as they are the same shape and weight as British coins, you can pop them into machines without any problem.

Fun fact: Isaac Newton was employed at the Mint to stop counterfeiters by designing coins that were as difficult to forge as possible.

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on November 20, 2021, 06:38:41 PMIsn't there a roumour that William has been fucking some bird other then his wife for ages?

Rose Hanbury

Jittlebags

Wonder what kind of tats she has? Bet she has 'Cholmondely' tattoed on her tit.

Sebastian Cobb

mothman

That's either a really poor photo of her... or she must give absolutely legendary head.

Twit 2

She might have a lovely character.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on November 20, 2021, 07:46:59 PMFun fact: Isaac Newton was employed at the Mint to stop counterfeiters by designing coins that were as difficult to forge as possible.
more fun facts: Isaac Newton got so obsessed with his posts at the Royal Mint he put great personal effort into gathering evidence via cross-examination to assure full treason convictions for counterfieters. People at the time were like steady-on mate it's a largely honorary post you know. But anyway he got 28 men hung drawn and quartered.

Fuck yeah science!!!!!!

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 20, 2021, 05:58:55 PMThey'll "abolish" the monarchy in a way that allows them to keep the tens of millions of pounds, 'uge tracts of land, legal exemptions and political influence but only their names and not faces will appear on currency.
All their castles and paintings and shit are divided between those that belong to the nation and those that are personal property, so they can walk away or be booted out and still have a lot of the hereditary wealth, just losing Buckingham Palace and such. And they'll still have the powers of the rich and own big tracts of Cornwall and Scotland and other places.

When the Queen dies there's going to be a big movement by royalists to say any talk of republicanism is tantamount to buggering the Queen's mummified corpse. Arguments need to be made before she's pronounced dead, and then in the space between her funeral and Charles's coronation (traditionally it can take a year but they may try to rush it for exactly this reason). I think enough people in the UK will grudgingly accept Charles, and there is no way Charles will refuse it after all these years, but the rest of the Commonwealth will reject him and in the end he will wither and drop off, like his mum's head.

Johnny Foreigner

English Heritage, Historic Environment Scotland and Cadw would probably take better care of all the castles and manor houses, as those organisations can rely on the knowhow of professional archæologists and conservationists. As long as these edifices are in private hands, they are less protected against their current owners' whims. We need heritage organisations to ensure the preservation of valuable history. (If she's reading this: the Countess of Wemyss is great, though. Spiffing job.)

Anyroad, join your heritage society. Do it to-day.

greenman

King Andrew reintroduces first night.

Mister Six

Blue Jam

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 20, 2021, 07:55:40 PMRose Hanbury

Supposedy while Kate was pregnant with Prince Spare. I remember a lot of news reports about how Kate had fallen out with her bestie but none explaining why, making it look like a total non-story, while it was pretty easy to find out from non-UK sites, suggesting there's a superinjunction in the UK.

Remember the CoD, Charles, Wills and Damien are all covered by that hastily-drawn-up exemption from the Freedom of Information act. There's going to be a major PR battle to try and make the public love and accept the next three kings.

Incidentally the CoD made it to the christening, wearing the Green Screen for the Queen suit we had a bit of fun with in the old thread:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59368620

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on November 20, 2021, 03:53:40 PMAlso, after the Queen, it's going to be (barring unforeseen events) a hundred years of balding middle-aged men by the time they get the crown: Charles, then William, then Bertie (? genuinely not sure if that's his name). It's not photogenic or interesting, which does matter.

While I've never really understood this forum's obsession with baldness, this is a valid point here because while Lizzie has her gowns, tiaras, diamonds, pearls, gaily-coloured suits and jaunty hats there is only so much you can bling up a king these days. Even if Ol' Gouty Hands is made Prince Regent at some point he won't be like the last one, able to wear a wig and tights and face powder and actually look any more like a king than the average bloke in a tweed suit.

I remember someone here posting about the time they saw some documentary about body language where a body language expert commented on some footage of George W Bush with Tony Blair and noted how relaxed Dubya looked, like he was just shootin' the shit at a buddy's house. Then there was a clip of him with Lizzie, looking utterly intimidated. I can't imagine Charles having that effect on world leaders.

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 20, 2021, 05:49:45 PMYou're completely right about the Queen's link to the war, though. That is irreplaceable.

No photos of Chas like this one is there?

My mother was one of those "They shouldn't get so much money, but we shouldn't get rid of them" types, those people who don't like the royal family but still can't quite contemplate them not being around anymore. I remember whenever Charles was on telly wearing his inexplicably huge number of medals she'd go "Where did he get all those medals from? What wars did he fight in?". Bit of Bling of War there but it just doesn't wash with a lot of people.

Video Game Fan 2000

No, they'll have to show him going Ying Tong Ying Tong and falling out of an aeroplane like a wally.

BritishHobo

Right sorry, so her back hurts too much to come and honour ARE BRAVE WAR DEAD but some bell-end has a baby shower, and you can't fucking stop her cartwheeling down there.

Blue Jam

Cuellar

buttgammon

Dammit! Got my hopes up again!

Video Game Fan 2000

mothman

Patience, children. A watched CoD never spoils.

dissolute ocelot

She'll want to die on Xmas day like her hero George Michael. Even if it means she can't get the Xmas number 1.