Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:36:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alec Baldwin kills crew member, wounds another.

Started by Mobius, October 22, 2021, 05:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

https://deadline.com/2021/10/female-crewmember-dies-on-new-mexico-set-of-alec-baldwin-film-rust-1234860416/

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/alec-baldwin-rust-incident-santa-fe-1235094931/

UPDATED with more law enforcement information: The Santa Fe Sheriff's Department confirmed Thursday night that Alec Baldwin "discharged" the prop gun that killed one Rust crew member and injured director Joel Souza on the set of the Western feature film on location in New Mexico.

Director of photography Halyna Hutchins, 42, died not long after being transported to a hospital in Albuquerque, NM this afternoon. Souza, 48, remains in a local hospital; his condition is unknown.

Mister Six

Mobius

Quote from: Mister Six on October 22, 2021, 05:40:23 AM
Horrible business, this, for all concerned.

Yeah extremely grim. I really had nothing to add to the OP, it's just a very sad situation.

Apparently Alec Baldwin is massively anti-gun and even formed some anti-NRA charity, so he must be doubly devastated...

Quote from: Mobius on October 22, 2021, 05:46:30 AM
Apparently Alec Baldwin is massively anti-gun and even formed some anti-NRA charity, so he must be doubly devastated...

I'm sure most people who were pro gun ownership would be just as devastated at accidentally killing someone.

Mobius

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on October 22, 2021, 05:54:33 AM
I'm sure most people who were pro gun ownership would be just as devastated at accidentally killing someone.

Yeah that's true.

Replies From View

probably wouldn't mind.  and the families of the deceased would be similarly "fair play, it was a gun and you like guns, so why not"

The Mollusk

Tweet from film director Adam Mortimer:

"I'm so sad about losing Halyna. And so infuriated that this could happen on a set," Mr Mortimer said in a tweet."

You don't sound that upset tbh mate. "Oh I'm so bloody annoyed about this! Flippin guns, when will it end?!"

Inspector Norse

Wouldn't have happened had the victim had a loaded prop gun with which to defend herself.

phantom_power

It is crazy that "real" prop  guns are still used on sets when air guns and SG muzzle flash provide he same effect with no danger at all. Probably cheaper than having all the safety checks as well (or not as seems in this case)

H-O-W-L

There shouldn't have been live rounds anywhere near this set. Ever since Brandon Lee firearms with visible ammunition have always (or at least, supposed) to have had completely dummy rounds for the shots where they're visible. Somebody fucked this up severely.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: phantom_power on October 22, 2021, 07:53:14 AM
It is crazy that "real" prop  guns are still used on sets when air guns and SG muzzle flash provide he same effect with no danger at all. Probably cheaper than having all the safety checks as well (or not as seems in this case)

This is a gross misunderstanding of how prop gun safety has evolved since the Brandon Lee incident. Even before then the age of using real guns with blank loads was pretty much dead but after that prop gun houses started welding rods into barrels and straight up plugging off feed ramps and the like so you could never load or fire a real projectile from the gun. Even back in the eighties, they shot Miami Vice with a couple guns that were unsuitable for chambering live rounds but worked fine with blanks. Somebody fucked up very severely, here; this is a chain of negligence event.

bgmnts

The only way to stop a bad actor with a gun, is with a good actor with a gun.

Noodle Lizard

This is miserable. No idea what happened (I expect a Brandon Lee situation with an accidental projectile in the barrel, not necessarily a live round), but I can't imagine how dreadful everyone involved must feel - not to mention the victim's friends/family.

phantom_power

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 22, 2021, 08:05:57 AM
This is a gross misunderstanding of how prop gun safety has evolved since the Brandon Lee incident. Even before then the age of using real guns with blank loads was pretty much dead but after that prop gun houses started welding rods into barrels and straight up plugging off feed ramps and the like so you could never load or fire a real projectile from the gun. Even back in the eighties, they shot Miami Vice with a couple guns that were unsuitable for chambering live rounds but worked fine with blanks. Somebody fucked up very severely, here; this is a chain of negligence event.

Sorry, by real I meant ones that had a realistic recoil and possibly(?) muzzle flash. But yeah you are right there must have been a lot of people fucking up for this to happen. It is sad to see twats on Twitter trying to pin this on Alec Baldwin because they disagree with him politically or just don't like him. He must be pretty devastated

Shaky

And then they'd do an evil laugh.

DrGreggles

Twitter is full of gun nuts gloating about an anti-gun campaigner accidentally shooting people, so go over there if you want to lose the will to live this morning.

phantom_power

Surely it only strengthens the argument against guns that even a pretend one can be deadly

Keebleman

So he discharges a prop gun, and hits not an actor in the scene but the two highest ranking crew members?

Yep, Columbo plot.

up_the_hampipe

This is horrifying. It's giving me anxiety just imagining being in Alec Baldwin's position right now.

Quote from: phantom_power on October 22, 2021, 09:36:46 AM
Surely it only strengthens the argument against guns that even a pretend one can be deadly

No, it proves that everyone should own one or more guns so they can learn how to use them safely, apparently.

Y'know, just forgetting that this was supposed to be a stunt gun that he was supposed to be firing at other people as part of his job.

phantom_power

Quote from: Keebleman on October 22, 2021, 09:45:15 AM
So he discharges a prop gun, and hits not an actor in the scene but the two highest ranking crew members?

Yep, Columbo plot.

I heard that it was a practice of one of those "point the gun at the camera" shots so it makes sense the DP and director were behind it.

Keebleman

Quote from: phantom_power on October 22, 2021, 10:27:36 AM
I heard that it was a practice of one of those "point the gun at the camera" shots so it makes sense the DP and director were behind it.

These days the director usually sits at a bank of monitors, and the DoP rarely operates the cameras.  So it's appropriate to remain in 'Just one more thing' mode for now.

Butchers Blind

Can someone explain how this happens? If its not a real gun per se how does it end up killing a person? I was always under the impression they used fake guns on these film/TV sets.

Joe Oakes

Can't blame Baldwin, for the first one, but in hindsight it was silly of him to then shoot someone else in anger.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Butchers Blind on October 22, 2021, 10:34:53 AM
Can someone explain how this happens? If its not a real gun per se how does it end up killing a person? I was always under the impression they used fake guns on these film/TV sets.

My theory right now is that the explosive charges used to emulate a muzzle flash inside the blank created an overpressure scenario which basically blunderbussed shrapnel out of the barrel, or flung the barrel bung out of the gun, alá Brandon Lee. We won't know for sure until we find out more -- more than a couple things could've gone wrong really. I really doubt it was a case of a blank gun being fitted with live ammo, but you never know.

H-O-W-L

If/when it comes out what model of gun they were using on-set I'll be able to make some sense of it for those of us on CAB who aren't very gun-knowledgable, but right now I wouldn't want to make a guess because a Western film could be using anything from black powder cap and ball revolvers to nearly-modern repeating rifles to pepperbox muzzle loaders.