Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:45:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb Season 11

Started by Mobbd, October 22, 2021, 01:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Feels like he's gonna cark it anytime he's shouting with veins popping which is nearly every scene this season, hope this is the last one so he lives longer

Yet to see a Lar stare down yet, would like one with Vince Vaughn

Mr Faineant

Quote from: mr. logic on November 15, 2021, 05:51:32 PM
Was a bit of a waste mind. It would be great to see him in a meatier role

Absolutely. Can't quite remember the details of the scene, but I think anyone could have played that role, if it was even really a role. He deserve a Steve Coogan sized role.

EOLAN

Quote from: Mr Faineant on November 17, 2021, 01:08:56 PM
Absolutely. Can't quite remember the details of the scene, but I think anyone could have played that role, if it was even really a role. He deserve a Steve Coogan sized role.

He was basically just backing up Dustin Hoffman's angel, who very much took the lead in the cameo scene.

Noodle Lizard

I only just got round to watching the most recent one (the watermelon one). That'll go down as one of the worst, I think. Utterly thoughtless.

McChesney Duntz

Replies From View

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 20, 2021, 09:28:56 PMI only just got round to watching the most recent one (the watermelon one). That'll go down as one of the worst, I think. Utterly thoughtless.

One of those embarrassing situations for me where I watched it with someone else who doesn't know Curb very well.  Absolutely guaranteed to be a bad episode of something when you do that.

Old Nehamkin

I thought there were Some Funny Bits but overall it felt like they had a bunch of leftover story pitches and just awkwardly stuck them together without much finesse. Larry befriending the white supremacist guy had some potential and the actor was pretty funny, but I didn't feel that they really found the right angle or tone to make the conceit work and I thought it was a touch too far out of character for Larry to be so immediately cavalier about palling up with the guy. I can see what they were going for but I think they needed to go a bit more tense and near-the-knuckle with that strand to really sell it. As it is it just felt a bit flimsy and tonally off-key, with a pretty weak set of payoffs - Woody Harrelson at the farm, Larry using the horn and Susie stitching the star of David into the robe - none of which felt particularly worth the set-up.

I did enjoy Larry's unconvincing cow talk.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Replies From View on November 20, 2021, 11:44:18 PMOne of those embarrassing situations for me where I watched it with someone else who doesn't know Curb very well.  Absolutely guaranteed to be a bad episode of something when you do that.

And then there's a sex scene and your dad walks in.

Replies From View

Always.  Absolutely always.

Was just checking on IMDB to see where I recognised the Klansman from (Ozark) and saw that this was the highest rated episode of the season so far.

Blue Jam

Episode 4 was a bit of a mess, aye. Everything just way too implausible.

Worth it for Suzie's outfits though, my god.

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 21, 2021, 04:54:10 PMWorth it for Suzie's outfits though, my god.

Fiorucci & Moschino - both awful

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 21, 2021, 04:54:10 PMEpisode 4 was a bit of a mess, aye. Everything just way too implausible.

That's my problem with Curb these days. Everything used to be a lot more believable, the situations now just seem a bit too forced.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 21, 2021, 05:12:34 PMFiorucci & Moschino - both awful

Cheers for that info. I don't know much about Fiorucci but TK Maxx always seem to have loads of Moschino stuff in and it's all lairy and utterly hideous. Perhaps the Curb wardrobe peeps shop at TJ Maxx (the US equivalent) to snap up all the stuff that's just too loud for their regular customers.

Presumably Fiorucci and Moschino don't loan HBO the clothes? "As seen on Suzie Green" isn't an endorsement I'd be happy with.

I'm wondering if there's a bit of Flanderisation going on there. I'm sure Suzie didn't dress so tastelessly in the first few seasons.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 21, 2021, 05:30:54 PMIt's from the Spring/Summer 2020 collection £130

https://modesens.com/product/fiorucci-vintage-angels-wildlife-printed-sweatshirt-black-21765105/

Oh my god, that's even more hideous than I remembered! And that's without the matching hat...

Here's the Moschino one, it's not as bad as I remember- £315 originally

https://www.atterley.com/sweaters-287

Wish I could find this one, it's the worst.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 21, 2021, 05:49:23 PMWish I could find this one, it's the worst.

Oh gawd yes, that one was amazing.

I don't think Suzie will ever top her Willy Wonka cosplay look though:

Mobius

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 21, 2021, 05:20:20 PMI'm wondering if there's a bit of Flanderisation going on there. I'm sure Suzie didn't dress so tastelessly in the first few seasons.

She designed shit clothes in the early series! Remember she made those awful jumpers and ended up giving one to Ben Stiller for his birthday.

Replies From View

I agree with the comments about the KKK episode. Possibly one of the poorest ever. I'm absolutely fine that the show is now set in a completely unrealistic world because that's how it's evolved since season 6, but Larry immediately being on the side of a Klansman just isn't something he'd do. And the setup didn't deliver any punchlines.

I'd really enjoyed the first three episodes. Completely ridiculous storyline with Maria Sofia but I don't mind because I'm finding her scenes so funny. The scenes with Suzie are better than ever too - I love that she obviously has a lot of love for Larry despite their arguments. It's great when they're both on the same side, like when she asks Larry to be "the middle".

Blue Jam

Quote from: Replies From View on November 22, 2021, 01:39:47 AMI thought that was the Mighty Boosh on there at first.

Noel Fielding is probably the only person who could actually pull that off.

Mr Faineant

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on November 22, 2021, 08:25:10 AMI agree with the comments about the KKK episode. Possibly one of the poorest ever. I'm absolutely fine that the show is now set in a completely unrealistic world because that's how it's evolved since season 6, but Larry immediately being on the side of a Klansman just isn't something he'd do. And the setup didn't deliver any punchlines.

I'd really enjoyed the first three episodes. Completely ridiculous storyline with Maria Sofia but I don't mind because I'm finding her scenes so funny. The scenes with Suzie are better than ever too - I love that she obviously has a lot of love for Larry despite their arguments. It's great when they're both on the same side, like when she asks Larry to be "the middle".
I don't know, he fucked someone who won't even acknowledge his right to exist. And, he's generally ethical...he saw he was responsible for the damage, and he had to do the right thing...and finally, the klansman was able to solve his cow problem, so it checks his self-before-morals box, also.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Mobius on November 21, 2021, 07:27:53 PMShe designed shit clothes in the early series! Remember she made those awful jumpers and ended up giving one to Ben Stiller for his birthday.

I was thinking of the first couple of seasons, I just remember her looking, not exactly normal, but less clownish at least. Or maybe it's just because she didn't have the corkscrew perm back then.

Malcy

Enjoyed that one. It finished and I thought "is that it"? but only because I'm fairly pissed and only thought I'd been watching it for 10 minutes! Didn't realise it was Julie Bowen until nearly the end and only because i had heard she was going to be in it.

Mobius

I didn't recognise her either until late into the episode either.

Maybe I was just in the wrong mood, but I didn't find myself laughing very much at that episode. I had just watched loads of Silicon Valley in a row and the new Succession before that so maybe I'd just exhausted myself on comedy. It all just felt a bit too familiar and retreading old ground. Not sure, just some of the improv dialogue bits between the characters weren't that funny.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it more on a rewatch.

Something I just remembered actually from I think last week's watermelon episode that stood out and felt weird was the scene where Vince Vaughn and the optician (Kaley Cuoco from Big Bang Theory) were at dinner and had the argument about her dropping the food on the floor and not picking it up - was that like the first 'extended scene' not to feature Larry? I suddenly felt like I was watching a different show.

Noodle Lizard

I'm really glad some of you agree. It was one of the worst Curbs I've ever seen, including all of Season 9.

Also, there is absolutely no chance anything even close to a KKK rally would happen in Los Angeles (let alone that a redneck type would/could own a huge ranch right next to it). So none of that made any sense to begin with.

Mr Faineant

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 22, 2021, 11:20:28 PMAlso, there is absolutely no chance anything even close to a KKK rally would happen in Los Angeles

There was one this year...

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-04-09/kkk-rally-huntington-beach-white-supremacy?_amp=true

Don't underestimate white supremacy in the US. It is part of the fabric of the country. They are emboldened, currently, and dark forces are working 24/7 to make them dominant, using things like cryptocurrency to destabilize and undermine the only thing preventing them from ruling supreme...the government.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Mr Faineant on November 23, 2021, 04:26:11 AMThere was one this year...

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-04-09/kkk-rally-huntington-beach-white-supremacy?_amp=true

Huntington Beach is a different city, but fair enough I'd forgotten about that. Sounds like it didn't really pan out in the end. I guess it just jumped out at me in Curb as if it was a kind of expected thing rather than something completely out of the ordinary. A white supremacist rally in Westwood (basically UCLA's campus) wouldn't happen.

poodlefaker

Pleased to see the CYE clothes discussion back after the insightful takes on jacket lapels in the Season 10 thread. Personally I'm impressed by Lewis's dedication to the Nehru collar.