Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,454
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:29:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb Season 11

Started by Mobbd, October 22, 2021, 01:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: the science eel on November 06, 2021, 11:40:09 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. It does sometimes feel like he's playing to a theatre audience sometimes.

Actually, knowing he's a big fan of musicals and theatre, that is the more likely explanation for the ham than doing it trad sitcom style.

Twonty Gostelow

I got a sense of things escalating too quickly as well, which didn't feel right. When he bumped into Cheryl I was expecting a bit more from the situation as Larry obviously still has affection for her, and their interactions would be subtly funny, but this time his anger went from 0 to 60 in no time over the ratty towels - and that was that. Perhaps trying too hard to give the audience angry Larry moments now that he's an iconic comedy character.

wrec

Thought episode 3 was the best of the series so far (or.maybe I've just settled into the new series) EXCEPT
Spoiler alert
why would Cheryl send the footage of the fight to Hulu? Makes no sense!
[close]
. Great to see the return of
Spoiler alert
Cousin Andy but feels like he's a bit wasted as essentially a straight man here. Richard Kind's deliberately boring dialogue is inherently funny
[close]
Also
Spoiler alert
"Goebbels was the GOAT!", rendered even funnier with the bizarre "Gerbels" pronunciation
[close]
Confusing that Patton Oswald isn't playing himself, fits in nicely though.

Malcy

My favourite of the 3 as well. Really enjoyed it.

up_the_hampipe

I liked ep 3 too, but goddammit is Maria Sofia an infuriating character. I know that's the point, but I feel angry every time she's on screen.

Also really liked the first "middling" scene with Larry and Susie actually getting along about something. It's so rare to see them working together and connecting, to the point where you don't understand why they'd ever hang out besides some brief exchanges, so it was nice to see that without undermining it with another screaming match.

the science eel

BlodwynPig

Fantastic. The mimicking of Susie between Larry and Jeff was a howler.

derek stitt

Some inspired level skullduggery attempted by Larry and Geoff in that episode.

Mr Faineant

Spoiler alert
Goebbels is the GOAT
[close]
. That's enough for this season to be a success, in my view. Good stuff in this episode, back to form.

thugler

Best episode for years. Years larry.

Genuinely felt like a much earlier series ep. Has made my day

EOLAN

Good episode.

Favorite bit was Patron Oswald's throw-away line about crypto-currency.

neveragain

I love Maria Sofia. Her acting is top-tier comedic cringe-inducement.
There was observation here of Larry not commenting on the "diverse" nature of the Netflix producers. Surely it was a subtle gag this week that Hulu had a similar mix. Also, where can Larry go in 2 weeks time, Apple+ TV? Shudder!? (Joke, but might work.)

Noodle Lizard

I wasn't quite as fond of it (compared to earlier seasons), although it was definitely an improvement over the first two. Agreed that
Spoiler alert
sending that tape to Hulu made no sense, and the fact that some of it comprised of the proper handheld "show footage" annoyed me, but that kind of thing always does
[close]
. I thought the "middling" part was great, that felt like old Curb. I'm not sure the minibar thing with Vince Vaughn really amounted to much, but I suppose we'll see if that thread continues. I did prefer it when they did more self-contained episodes, even if the season had a story arc - some of the newer episodes feel a little incomplete on their own.

Mr Faineant

Quote from: neveragain on November 09, 2021, 01:22:51 PM
There was observation here of Larry not commenting on the "diverse" nature of the Netflix producers. Surely it was a subtle gag this week that Hulu had a similar mix. Also, where can Larry go in 2 weeks time, Apple+ TV? Shudder!? (Joke, but might work.)

Maybe, he did that fake curb episode for Apple last year...

Twonty Gostelow

There was observation here of Larry not commenting on the "diverse" nature of the Netflix producers. Surely it was a subtle gag this week that Hulu had a similar mix.

I think so too, and agree with you that Keyla Mejia is great in it. Will this end up being referred to as the Maria Sofia season?

I bet Richard Kind is the perfect middler in real life. He's hilarious on every podcast he's on that I've heard.

mr. logic

Quote from: Mr Faineant on November 09, 2021, 11:50:51 PM
Maybe, he did that fake curb episode for Apple last year...

Can you tell me more about this?

the science eel

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on November 10, 2021, 01:27:26 AMI bet Richard Kind is the perfect middler in real life. He's hilarious on every podcast he's on that I've heard.

He's a riot. Some line about pizza varieties a couple of seasons back
had me on the floor. So happy to see him again.

He's LD's cousin in this, right? Remember Shelley Berman playing his dad? Fuck, that man was solid gold. Every scene. Inspired casting too.

Mr Faineant

Quote from: mr. logic on November 10, 2021, 03:00:06 AM
Can you tell me more about this?

Yeah, Apple commissioned him to make a short video for one of their big events. He made a curb-like thing where he worked at Apple as the App Store approval guy. Leon was in it, too. They decided not to go with it, because it was a bit too un-Apple. It's pretty good. I have it, let me try to work out how to send it to you. Maybe send me your email address or something, I can share it on iCloud, please just don't make the link public...you can reshare the video, I just don't want links to my iCloud floating around in case all my nudes get out.

bobloblaw

Loved episode 3 but found myself strangely distracted by Vince Vaughan's gigantic forehead

Mobbd

This won't surprise anyone but I loved that. You're all right that it was the best in the season so far though. The flow of that "middling" segment was perfecto and they even used it to get the
Spoiler alert
"taking advice from a stage 4"
[close]
idea out there without it feeling remotely like a dull setup. It was gorgeous.

Favourite micro-moment:
Spoiler alert
"they jerked a fuckin' mushroom."
[close]
"They" - like the evil masterminds of the world finally did it.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 08, 2021, 08:41:43 PM
I liked ep 3 too, but goddammit is Maria Sofia an infuriating character. I know that's the point, but I feel angry every time she's on screen.

I like her. Especially Cheryl's overt comment about the
Spoiler alert
gyrating
[close]
. It all kinda reminds me of Pam Doove though. Not necessarily a bad thing. It was funny.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 08, 2021, 08:41:43 PM
Also really liked the first "middling" scene with Larry and Susie actually getting along about something. It's so rare to see them working together and connecting, to the point where you don't understand why they'd ever hang out besides some brief exchanges, so it was nice to see that without undermining it with another screaming match.

That was my favourite moment too. I love to see unlikely-cum-perfectly-likely pairings in things. Seeing
Spoiler alert
Susie and LD collaborate on an antic
[close]
was beautiful. It really does draw the rest of their relationship - all the fighting - into reality. They just have an antagonistic friendship a bit like he does with Lewis.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 09, 2021, 07:04:35 PM
Agreed that
Spoiler alert
sending that tape to Hulu made no sense
[close]

I dunno. I think she just FedExed the whole tape either based on a prior agreement with Larry or because it's standard practice to do so. This leads to the question of why
Spoiler alert
Hulu liked it if they saw all of the inauthentic stuff in addition to the fight
[close]
. I *think* it was worth it for
Spoiler alert
Ted's appearance and the payoff to the idea that anything he touches is comedy gold
[close]

poodlefaker

There was a great little throwaway line when the Hulu boss pointed at his colleagues on the couch and said "They loved it" and Larry wasn't sure whether this meant all of them or just the one on the end who uses "they". That's how you do a pronouns gag.

Mobbd

Quote from: her? on November 11, 2021, 11:56:16 AM
Here you go - https://d.tube/v/protoproto21/QmW9CtZ1dxY7WSLdaSPzRWPK5d31cRaJQv3xhpmjjB1bnL

That was interesting and actually pretty good. Great verisimilitude - it really felt like a mini-ep.

Can't say I liked "no snacks for Blacks" even if it was in response to the white people's bite thing. I thought at first, well, his name is Leon Black so maybe it's personal and not fully a race thing. But Larry calls him J.B. later, this being in a different universe to mainline Curb, so he name isn't Black. It's Smoove!

The trouble with "no snacks for Blacks" being "justified" by it being in response to J.B. being a bit racist is that (a) J.B. was just reading a script presumably written by Larry or some other white dude and (b) even if J.B.'s honestly on board with it, it's basically Love Thy Neighbour.

Here you go - https://d.tube/v/protoproto21/QmW9CtZ1dxY7WSLdaSPzRWPK5d31cRaJQv3xhpmjjB1bnL

Thanks, I never knew that even existed. Has the tailgating guy been in an episode of CYE? - he looked familiar

her?

Quote from: Mobbd on November 11, 2021, 02:50:21 PM
Can't say I liked "no snacks for Blacks" even if it was in response to the white people's bite thing. I thought at first, well, his name is Leon Black so maybe it's personal and not fully a race thing. But Larry calls him J.B. later, this being in a different universe to mainline Curb, so he name isn't Black. It's Smoove!

The trouble with "no snacks for Blacks" being "justified" by it being in response to J.B. being a bit racist is that (a) J.B. was just reading a script presumably written by Larry or some other white dude and (b) even if J.B.'s honestly on board with it, it's basically Love Thy Neighbour.

Yeah that's surely the reason Apple never used it and why they seem to want to delete it from the internet.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 11, 2021, 03:42:37 PM
Thanks, I never knew that even existed. Has the tailgating guy been in an episode of CYE? - he looked familiar

He was the JLD obsessed neighbour who Larry had to appease so he and Cheryl could bury the telegraph(?) wire in their garden.

Echoing the thanks for sharing this, her?(!)

AzureSky

Has the link broken? Doesn't work for me, just whirrs around for a bit then gives media error for me.

Quote from: Tokyo van Ramming on November 11, 2021, 07:11:13 PM
He was the JLD obsessed neighbour who Larry had to appease so he and Cheryl could bury the telegraph(?) wire in their garden.

Cheers

Mobius

Quote from: Tokyo van Ramming on November 11, 2021, 07:11:13 PM

Yeah he also has cancer and tried to make Larry pay for a pair of glasses he broke when they went in for a hug in a more recent season.

I mostly remember him as Larry Sanders money obsessed brother.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dineen on November 11, 2021, 10:25:17 PM
Has the link broken? Doesn't work for me, just whirrs around for a bit then gives media error for me.

Unfortunately that means your computer has to go in the bin