Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:40:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible Artist, Album & Song Names

Started by lazyhour, October 23, 2021, 06:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

What's the worst or most awkward band name, album name or song title you've come across? Here are some contenders:

Band: The Good, The Bad & The Queen
Band: Joe Lean & The Jing Jang Jong
Album: Alanis Morisette's "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie"
Song: Johnny Cash's "Flushed From The Bathroom Of Your Heart" (this one's kind of great though)

lazyhour

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: lazyhour on October 23, 2021, 06:11:45 PM
Album: Alanis Morisette's "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie"

She's got another one called Under Rug Swept.

Elvis Costello once complained "Morrissey writes wonderful song titles, but sadly he often forgets to write the song." The opposite could be said of Kevin Barnes from of Montreal who writes great songs, but gives them fucking ridiculous titles like '20th Century Schizofriendic Revengoid-man'. On his recent download-only album I Feel Safe With You, Trash, he started capitalising or accenting random letters which makes them look even mOre StUpid.

Quote from: Kevin Barnes
1      Carton Aesthesis (O Portão)
2      And We Can Survive Anything If We Fake It
3      Ariel Equals GoOd Trash
4      Queer As Love
5      Now That's What I Call Freewave
6      JaPanese Word For Witch
7      This Is ExpOsed
8      True Beauty ForeveR
9      Fuckheads Is The AuTo-correction
10      Drowner's TeÃrs
11      I Feel Safe With You, Trash
12      Fingerless GlOves
13      Notes Of ViOlate SPectates A Flatter Of Male
14      EquatOrial Hemorrhage Is A Dead Link
15      Yamagata FoRest Flutes
16      ExtracT The Masculine Germ From Remote Memory
17      ThrAm Rammaged à Man-mod
18      Kcrraanggaanngg!!
19      Karlheinz ChOp Up Children
20      So Chill Then (O Portão)

jamiefairlie

New Order went from titles such as Ceremony, Procession, Dreams Never End to shit like Rock The Shack and Slow Jam.

McChesney Duntz

My go-to band name every time this subject comes up: Grab Grab the Haddock. So awful it approaches genius. (Is it an unusually insistent/redundant directive? Is "Grab Grab" the name of a specific haddock? Is the haddock's name actually just "Grab" and the directive only coincidentally redundant? If either the second or third options apply, what the fuck are you doing naming haddocks in the first place? Is "haddocks" the correct plural of "haddock" or is it just "haddock"? Why won't my nose stop bleeding?)

DJ Bob Hoskins

the science eel

lazyhour

Johnny Foreigner

Half Man Half Biscuit is a pretty ridiculous name, as is A Flock of Seagulls.
Toad the Wet Sprocket just sounds stupid; I don't care if it's from the Pythons.

purlieu

I love Nurse With Wound and almost everything Steven Stapleton does, but The Musty Odour of Pierced Rectums is such a tedious lolrandom title.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

You can get all the entertainment you need from the collected works of Anal Cunt by just reading their song titles. You don't actually need to listen to their music.
"It Just Gets Worse" is a great album title for them too.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Much like the aforementioned Beatles, The Beach Boys is a naff band name we tend to overlook because the music is so great. Sure, it suited them during their initial surf, cars and girls phase, but sounded positively archaic and unrepresentative by the time they got into their experimental art-pop era.

The band were aware of this, hence why, in the early '70s, they briefly toyed with renaming themselves as Beach. Which is even worse. 

boki

Bands:
Scouting For Girls
Hootie And The Blowfish
Toad The Wet Sprocket

There's a deathcore band called Slice The Cake, but I quite like how deliberately ridiculous that is.

Sadly, I am unable to forget that Limp Bizkit made an album called Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavoured Water several years into their career.

Public Enemy's Muse Sick And Our Mess Age made hard work of wordplay.

boki

Can never work out quite how I feel about The Revolting Cocks as a band name.

McChesney Duntz

If you don't like it, you're insulting the many male chickens who have massed in defiance of authority. So shame on you.

Egyptian Feast

My partner's son is into a German deathcore band called We Butter The Bread With Butter at the moment. I haven't checked them out yet despite his recommendations because that is simply too shit a name.

Johnny Foreigner

- Does It Offend You, Yeah?
- Yes, it does.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Johnny Foreigner on October 23, 2021, 09:42:56 PM
- Does It Offend You, Yeah?
- Yes, it does.

Ha, that is possibly the very worst of all band names I'd only feel paranoid about Googling if I thought the algorithm might decide I was into that sort of thing.

boki

Fuck Buttons is pretty terrible, isn't it? I'm not necessarily against the cussing (I think Holy Fuck and Fucked Up are good names), but you gotta make it worthwhile if you're taking that risk.

DJ Bob Hoskins

There are few band names that make my shit itch as much as "Portugal, The Man".

Album-wise:
Alanis's "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie" was mentioned earlier, but the title is so bad it's worth mentioning twice.
Oasis's "Standing on the Shoulder [sic] of Giants" has gotta be up there with the worst.
As is Limp Bizkit's "Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavoured Water" (the band name is equally bad).

The Stones' "Their Satanic Majesties Request" (especially coupled with its 'will this do?' Sgt Pepper knock-off sleeve) is probably a mention. As is Bill Wyman's single "(Si Si) Je Suis un Rock Star".

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I really like Their Satanic Majesties Request as an album title, it's ironically self-referential and suits the Stones' image - at that time - as druggy satin-swaddled satyrs. Devil-worshipping sex people! It's a gag.

They all look like utter berks on the cover, but I find that quite endearing.

BeardFaceMan

I go back on forth on Rob Zombie's album/song titles, depending on my mood they can be either great or awful but he's been taking the piss with his last few album titles, The Electric Warlock Acid Witch Satanic Orgy Celebration Dispenser can fuck right off, it's like he's just written a load of spooky words on bits of paper and pulled them randomly out of a hat.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Pauline Walnuts

Jockstrap
Porridge Radio
The Beatles
▂▅▇█▓░░▓█▇▅▂
Broken Down Golf Cart
Love Spit Love
Evil Edna's Horror Toilet!
Glitoris

Brundle-Fly

popcorn

Radiohead: A Moon Shaped Pool

what shape is a moon? not exactly one of the classic object shapes is it, a moon? like a circle? so it's "A Circle Shaped Pool"? could also be a Plate Shaped Pool or a Manhole Shaped Pool or a Button Shaped Pool or a Donut Shaped Pool. Nothing uniquely moon shaped about circular things.

unless they meant like a half-moon, like a crescent? in which case why not A Crescent Shaped Pool or even A Crescent Pool?

that indefinite article is so awkward and weird and crap too. and it's missing a hyphen!!!

holyzombiejesus

Dr Butler's Hatstand Medicine Band
Elbow
Gorkys Zygotic Mynci

Girls In Peacetime Want To Dance

Betcha By Golly Wow