Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:33:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Fools and Horses superfan has £3000 tattoo of the show, owns Del Boy's hat

Started by Fambo Number Mive, October 23, 2021, 09:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Can anyone beat OFAH superfan Dean Paine when it comes to obsessive sitcom fandom?

QuoteDean Paine has been the biggest fan of Only Fools and Horses since the age of 6, when his grandparents first bought him a video of the iconic comedy series and he was immediately hooked.

Since then, the 33-year-old chef has spent thousands of pounds on memorabilia, collectables and Only Fools experiences - including £3,000 on a full back tattoo of the cast.

He even went to his wedding in Del Boy's car, despite his wife not really being interested in the show, has a house full of props and scripts, and has met every member of the cast - apart from one

https://www.mylondon.news/news/uk-world-news/biggest-only-fools-horses-fan-21813954

Only Fools and Horses seems to be the comedy that attracts the most obsessive fans. I can't imagine anyone asking Chris Morris to sign their full body tattoo of scenes from Jam, or someone having plastic surgery to look like Captain Mainwaring. We all love comedy on here, but I don't know if any of us are as obsessed with a comedy show as Dean is. Has anyone here had a comedy themed wedding or have a load of comedy memorabilia from one show?

I suppose going to a comedy dining experience or a musical based on a comedy would be something the superfans would do. I like how his wife isn't very interested in the show - I hope she is a massive fan of Last of the Summer Wine and has a tattoo of Foggy, Clegg and Compo, something like that.

QuoteOn top of having made a personal bond with the Only Fools and Horses cast, Dean has an extensive memorabilia collection including props like Del Boy's Reliant Regal car door, the lion cookie jar, and Del Boy's real hat, as well as original scripts that could sell on eBay for £10,000.

"The scripts are the main thing, they're one-of-a-kind - a lot of them got damaged or thrown away when they were filming, so to get them now is really difficult," Dean said.

"But I never started it to make a profit, it's personal to me."

He really wants to met Nicholas Lyndhurst to complete the set.

JamesTC

"Dean on his wedding day"

QuoteMy kids are 3 and 5, I'm trying to get them into it, but nothing at the moment. A man who's got the Trotter van doesn't live far from me, so I've dressed my son up and taken him there to take photos - I'm trying to [get them into Only Fools] but at the moment they're just not interested.

Yes but do your kids like the show?

They know how to tempt me:

QuoteHowever, when he tried to explain this to people at his uni, he said: "I got dragged within an inch of my life because OFAH used a slur against Indians."

The student was clearly upset by the reaction, adding: "My Dad died last year and it was something that I shared out of happiness and now I'm public enemy no.1."

That escalated quickly.

Butchers Blind

QuoteHe even went to his wedding in Del Boy's car, despite his wife not really being interested in the show

All you need to know about the man in one sentence.

FredNurke

QuoteHe even went to his wedding in Del Boy's car, despite his wife not really being interested in the show, has a house full of props and scripts, and has met every member of the cast - apart from one

He'll meet Lennard Pearce too one day, as soon as he gets hold of a shovel and a crowbar.

beanheadmcginty

If he is only 33 years old it means he cannot possibly have been consciously aware of any of the actual good episodes when broadcast. Surely the whole appeal of OFAH is the shared national moments when we all witnessed the joke at the same time? Isn't that why Delboy falling through the bar is such a meme? Without that very special personal nostalgic bond to the show, surely it's just as insane as any of us being obsessive fans of Bless This House or Robin's Nest?

Video Game Fan 2000

BT's "1 to remember" campaign picking "falling through the bar" over the chandelier drop sealed our fate.

SpiderChrist

QuoteHe even went to his wedding in Del Boy's car, despite his wife not really being interested in the show, has a house full of props and scripts, and has met every member of the cast - apart from one

Either she's half-sharp, or he's an absolute beast in the bedroom. Possibly both, but my money's on the former.

Fambo Number Mive

I know this guy got into OFAH when he was six but the idea of showing two young children Only  Fools and Horses and wondering why they arent in to it is hilarious. It's hardly something that would.appeal to young children. Let's hope he didnt show them the episode with the escaped convict or the one where Del Boy dresses up as a clown and commits several horrific murders.

JamesTC

JamesTC

QuotePersonal is definitely the right word: Only Fools and Horses runs through every aspect of Dean's life.

"When my wife was giving birth I threw in a few references" he explained, "they were all shouting push so I started chanting 'bush, bush, bush'. I think it really helped."

Icehaven

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 24, 2021, 08:39:52 AM
I know this guy got into OFAH when he was six but the idea of showing two young children Only  Fools and Horses and wondering why they arent in to it is hilarious. It's hardly something that would.appeal to young children.

Bit odd that his grandparents bought him a OFAH video when he was 6 too, maybe it was a gift mix up and his dad got a Power Rangers video. Mind you he was 6 in 1994 when kids ended up watching what their parents watched in the evening because there wasn't youtube or cbeebies or endless phone and tablet games to keep them occupied.

Fambo Number Mive

I would love it if his dad was now a Power Rangers superfan, with a tattoo of all the Power Rangers on his stomach and the original Green Power Ranger mask.

I've met quite a few father/son combination OFAH fans over the years, it's often been a thing for them to bond with since the son was young.

Fambo Number Mive

Impressed by this Only Fools and Horses superfan who has built an Only Fools and Horses themed narrowboat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlf4UQgp74g

jobotic

If they were real fans they'd buy a horse for much more than it was worth.

idunnosomename

Quote"If anyone could help me meet Nicholas one day, I'd travel, I'd do pretty much anything just to go and have a photo taken. That's all I want. Just to shake his hand and have a photo done," he said.

Catalogue Trousers

'...despite his wife not really being interested in the show...'

Why do I suspect that's diplomatic understatement, and she wants to kill him in his sleep for his incessant fucking Del Boy impressions?

Also, anyone buying their grandchild an Only Fools video as a 6th birthday present should be done for child abuse. Simple as that.

Fambo Number Mive

You can see a picture of Dean's tattoo here: https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/17736700.fools-horses-tattoo-full-story/

Dean also spoke of how he has been lucky enough to meet most of the prominent cast members, which feature on his back:

"I love them all.

"I couldn't say who was my favourite, they're all amazing.

"If you took one out, the show wouldn't be the same.

If you had to get a comedy-related tattoo, which one would you get? I'd get a tattoo of Chris Morris as the Day Today newsreader on my left leg.

Catalogue Trousers

I'd probably get The Flippant Men on my chest or something. Or perhaps Histor and Pliny on each buttock.

JamesTC

JamesTC

I'd say "I'm sorry Rodney" and then take my shirt off and turn around.

Video Game Fan 2000

Nicholas Lyndhurst picks up a really fit girl at a bar, chats her up and invites her to his hotel room. When they get there things get hot and heavy, and she insists that he penetrate her from behind. She gets into the kneel position and pulls her dress over her head, revealing the Cassandra Miscarriage tattoo covering her back with I'M SORRY RODNEE written in cursive across the small of her back, tramp stamp style. He's paralyzed with fear.

"come on what are you waiting for"

easytarget

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 24, 2021, 11:44:44 AM
If you had to get a comedy-related tattoo, which one would you get? I'd get a tattoo of Chris Morris as the Day Today newsreader on my left leg.

Nice.
I'm pretty close to having these fellas etched into my flesh forever[nb]As far as I'm concerned...[/nb]

easytarget

Personal is definitely the right word: Only Fools and Horses runs through every aspect of Dean's life.

"When my wife was giving birth I threw in a few references" he explained, "they were all shouting push so I started chanting 'bush, bush, bush'. I think it really helped."

... "I was actually hoping for a miscarriage"

Thought this cunt had come up before...

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,73897.0.html

Pretty much identical article from 2019(except for the bits about his evidently long-suffering missus), and still his dream of meeting Rodders goes unfulfilled. May it ever be thus.

Icehaven

I like the idea of him finally getting to meet Rodney, posing for the photo with his arm round him, thumbs up, then as soon as it's taken Lyndhurst politely makes conversation, asking him how long he's been a fan, but he just coldly replies "You're alright, I just wanted a photo." and walks off without looking back.

Fambo Number Mive

Dean should add Denzil, Raquel, Cassandra, Mike, Micky Pearce and Sid to his tattoo. Could have them on his chest.

Would love for there to be made a documentary about Dean's journey to find Lyndhurst.

gilbertharding

Quote from: JamesTC on October 24, 2021, 09:30:11 AM
I loved OFAH when I was a kid.

I may have been a weird child though.

Nothing weird about a kid being into OFAH when it was actually a living sitcom, with new episodes which, in the case of the xmas specials the whole family would watch and enjoy...

...bit weird if you liked it because your dad sat you in front of the DVDs and forced you to watch, while your mum sighed and tutted at the other end of the sofa.