Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,361
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:14:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC's New Logo

Started by Blumf, October 25, 2021, 12:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 04, 2021, 10:39:31 AM
It's very similar to coffee. Lots of wankers with no clue, being performatively aghast at 'comic sans' because they've heard other people doing the same. "Ugh, look at the thickness of the descenders on that. And those serifs are *so* ugly," and you know they couldn't tell the difference between Helvetica and Berlin Sans.
I'm aghast, because I've designed several logos in the last couple of weeks, but I get paid peanuts.

Icehaven

I've recently discovered that the font we use for our band logo, that we use to advertise gigs and on the banner we hang above the stage when we play that my other half painstakingly spent several days cutting out stencils and spray painting to create, is apparently the band logo equivalent of Comic Sans and you might as well call yourselves The 6th Form Amateurs if you use it. I don't care, I still like it but I can't look at it right now. 

paruses

So who owns fonts and who do you have to pay and under what circumstances? Are they regulated with a sort of PRS organisation?

Blumf

Quote from: icehaven on November 04, 2021, 02:08:19 PM
I've recently discovered that the font we use for our band logo, that we use to advertise gigs and on the banner we hang above the stage when we play that my other half painstakingly spent several days cutting out stencils and spray painting to create, is apparently the band logo equivalent of Comic Sans and you might as well call yourselves The 6th Form Amateurs if you use it. I don't care, I still like it but I can't look at it right now.

Metal umlauts?

olliebean

Apparently in the last election the Tories did some social media ads deliberately in Comic Sans just so loads of people would share and repost them in order to say, "Look at how shit this is, Comic Sans lol!" and the algorithms would go "loads of people are sharing and reposting this, it must be really engaging content" and show it to more people and they'd get a load of free advertising.

mjwilson

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 04, 2021, 10:39:31 AM
It's very similar to coffee. Lots of wankers with no clue, being performatively aghast at 'comic sans' because they've heard other people doing the same. "Ugh, look at the thickness of the descenders on that. And those serifs are *so* ugly," and you know they couldn't tell the difference between Helvetica and Berlin Sans.

That doesn't make sense, coffee doesn't even have descenders.

Blumf

What's the coffee equivalent of Comic Sans? Gold Blend?

buttgammon

Quote from: Blumf on November 04, 2021, 10:08:44 PM
What's the coffee equivalent of Comic Sans? Gold Blend?

Maxwell House.

steveh

Quote from: paruses on November 04, 2021, 07:21:23 PM
So who owns fonts and who do you have to pay and under what circumstances? Are they regulated with a sort of PRS organisation?

As a very simplified explanation... There's a small number of companies typically from the old typesetting days who own a lot of the common ones and then intermediaries who resell them or licence them on a subscription basis. Normally you wouldn't pay anything extra for the use of a font in a rendered form - the BBC logo for example. However, if you say wanted your website to use that same font for all the text you'd likely pay an ongoing fee for that. The glyphs / graphic forms of a lot of classic fonts are out of copyright, but the versions embodied in computer fonts are not and the names are often trademarked so nobody else could sell a font under the same name.