Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:59:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Mort" Sahl

Started by madhair60, October 27, 2021, 12:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 27, 2021, 12:57:00 AM
I never found Mort Sahl funny, but I appreciate how influential he was.

I watched a few clips and enjoyed them. I'm more interested in seeing his newer stuff.

Brundle-Fly

I explored Mort Sahl more through MortSahlFan's enthusiasm and found him fascinatingly advanced for his time.

Mort Sahl R.I.P.

Barry Admin

Bernice

I'll be honest, I thought he'd already died. 94 years old!

I've caught old 60s clips of him here and there on youtube, never really gone much deeper. He clearly had a real charm on stage, a natural sort of ease, but watching him I don't know if I'm enjoying the jokes or just the general vibe, the window on history. I'll have to check out a bit more this weekend, work through that archive jobotic posted.

Zetetic

MortSahlFan

Realize some of us know him personally. Until the very last breath.

Utter Shit

Sounds like you killed him.

Bernice

My condolences, MortSahlFan. Still, worth bearing in mind that Sahl lived a far richer and fuller life than any of us cretins.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: MortSahlFan on October 27, 2021, 04:26:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7jBYhCZHOg&t=7s

Great link, MortSahlFan. I'm a big fan of Studs Terkel but don't know much about Mort Sahl, what a thoughtful and articulate guy.

McChesney Duntz

Pretty strong attempt at grappling with his legacy and his current relevancy:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/27/arts/television/mort-sahl-comedy-legacy.html

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: darby o chill on October 27, 2021, 09:37:17 AM
I know death jokes are a part of CaB but this feels a bit cuntish. Nearly every mention of Mort gets sneered at. MortSahlFan always comes across as enthusiastic about a man who was obviously a well respected & influential comedian.
It's not that difficult to imagine he feels the same way you felt about Norm MacDonald or Rik Mayall.
You stupid bald bastards. Bye!

Well, yeah. You're right. For what it's worth, I wasn't actually having a dig at Mort Sahl the comedian, but it was insensitive of me to be facetious in a thread that would inevitably attract the attention of someone who must be terribly upset by this news.

Genuinely sorry.

madhair60

Also FWIW my OP was meant to be knowing rather than dismissive, but I'll cop to the jokes because I find 'em funny.

Old Nehamkin

I actually think it's good that he died.

Barry Admin

Cold Meat Platter

People were making jokes on the first fucking page of the Norm thread.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on October 28, 2021, 12:06:30 AM
People were making jokes on the first fucking page of the Norm thread.

Most of those were variations of jokes that Norm himself made, which seems fairer than mocking the death of a comedian that people admit to knowing little about.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 27, 2021, 12:57:00 AM
It's sad, really, that the pioneering satirist Mort Sahl is best known in Britain for his starring role in Carry On But Stop That Camel.

He seemed to get a decent reception in London a few years ago going by this video.

https://youtu.be/rI5SR1yH1W4

Cold Meat Platter

itsfredtitmus

I think he'll make a comeback

Barry Admin

Looking forward to a similar 18 pages of discussion about Mort Sahl to balance out the jokes, then.

Continuining on after MortSahlFan said he knew him personally just seems a bit off to me, but whatever.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Petey Pate on October 28, 2021, 12:21:29 AM
He seemed to get a decent reception in London a few years ago going by this video.

That Carry On comment was a joke at the expense of myself and ignorant obituaries. I was deliberately mixing Sahl up with Phil Silvers.

Not very funny, admittedly, but that was the intent.

Mobius

I'm sorry for my bad jokes, and Mort Sahl's death.

Old Nehamkin

Ace Letterman archivist Don Giller has posted a compilation of Sahl's 3 appearances on Late Night/Late Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zddN-YgSfg0

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on October 28, 2021, 05:31:52 AM
Ace Letterman archivist Don Giller has posted a compilation of Sahl's 3 appearances on Late Night/Late Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zddN-YgSfg0

I saw that. It was very nice of him to upload that.

peanutbutter

Can't say I ever  found him very funny in comparison to some contemporaries like Shelley Berman and Bob Newhart but he definitely seemed far closer to hitting the template of what a standup would become (maybe he stopped it from being heavily focused around one sided phone calls!), between that and the contemporary nature of his focuses he was destined to suffer quite a bit in comparison to future acts.

I assume regardless of his commercial decline he was actually reasonably okay financially and persevered for so long mainly because he just loved doing it? 94, seemingly being in pretty good health well and still being able to do what he loved into his tenth decade seems pretty good going.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing the PBS doc on him.

Johnny Foreigner

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Mortsahl Kombat
Raoul Mort