Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:11:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mort Sahl - The Loyal Opposition

Started by MortSahlFan, October 27, 2021, 11:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

This is only going to be available for one week.

Before Bob Weide directed, "Curb Your Enthusiasm", he made this brilliantly made documentary. Up until now, it had only broadcast once on PBS (and was the documentary Bill Hicks mentioned before HE passed away). After I first met and talked with Mort, I asked why this hadn't been made available, and Mort said that Bob hadn't cleared all of the sources, thus not making it available for distribution.

This is the first time I've watched it in its entirety. It's funny, moving, and inspiring.

Those who ridicule his death, his life, (or mine) only discredit themselves.

https://youtu.be/7mTmEYH1O7M

McChesney Duntz

Thanks for this - I've wanted to see this for some time. If it's anything like Weide's Lenny Bruce doc, it'll be a fine watch indeed.

McChesney Duntz

And, also, I'm very sorry for your loss. He obviously meant a great deal to you (even without realizing you knew him personally), and, though being active and sharp-witted right up to the end, especially if that end is age 94, is nothing to feel sad about, a passing like that still hurts, I'm sure. RIP MS.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on October 28, 2021, 02:07:58 AM
And, also, I'm very sorry for your loss. He obviously meant a great deal to you (even without realizing you knew him personally), and, though being active and sharp-witted right up to the end, especially if that end is age 94, is nothing to feel sad about, a passing like that still hurts, I'm sure. RIP MS.

Yeah, thank you so much. I really, really do appreciate it. I lost my first 1st cousin, my uncle, and my grandmother in the last 12 months,  but this has hurt me the most. I say it here because I can't say this on social media for friends/family to read. But it's just the way I feel, but I've been a fan for over 21 years, and knew him, talked with in face to face multiple times, etc.

But for some reason, since the first day I joined, I've faced nothing but hostility and even hatred since coming here, so I spent my time on the Movie section.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: MortSahlFan on October 28, 2021, 03:38:59 AM
Yeah, thank you so much. I really, really do appreciate it. I lost my first 1st cousin, my uncle, and my grandmother in the last 12 months,  but this has hurt me the most. I say it here because I can't say this on social media for friends/family to read. But it's just the way I feel, but I've been a fan for over 21 years, and knew him, talked with in face to face multiple times, etc.

But for some reason, since the first day I joined, I've faced nothing but hostility and even hatred since coming here, so I spent my time on the Movie section.

I've an issue with your suggestion that women aren't funny: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,72569.msg3795826.html#msg3795826 the sentence "I love my nieces, but they'll never be funnier than they are as toddlers" was especially offensive, and while this post is the most glaring example, there's been others that have been depressingly sexist, hence the hostility.

Twit 2

I tell you who loved his nieces - Mort Sahl. Know what I mean?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I thought the whole point was that he was an incestuous paedophile. Difficult to understand how the act works without that being the lynchpin.

sutin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 28, 2021, 08:58:17 AM
I've an issue with your suggestion that women aren't funny: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,72569.msg3795826.html#msg3795826 the sentence "I love my nieces, but they'll never be funnier than they are as toddlers" was especially offensive, and while this post is the most glaring example, there's been others that have been depressingly sexist, hence the hostility.

Also this - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,76012.msg3998591.html#msg3998591

Sorry to get involved.

Quote from: MortSahlFan on October 28, 2021, 03:38:59 AM.

Brigaded by the vile trolls etc

jobotic

Bronzy

Washington couldn't tell a lie, Nixon couldn't tell the truth, and MortSahlFan couldn't tell the difference!

MortSahlFan

It takes dedication to make comments on other sites. You are a revolutionary.

g0m

Quote from: MortSahlFan on October 27, 2021, 11:34:15 PM

Those who ridicule his death, his life, (or mine) only discredit themselves.

Sorry, just caught this edit

(or mine)

MortSahlFan

what dedication!
Did Mort embarrass YOUR favorite comedian?