Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:05:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Things You Assume Everyone Agrees On ( The Comedy Shows Version)

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, October 28, 2021, 11:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sutin

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 30, 2021, 12:30:52 PM
While I think your opinion of that episode is wrong, verging on evil, I can empathise with the second sentence. There's are other factors involved, of course, but it's almost certainly not a coincidence that Season 8 is the last of the classic years for me and was also the last one that seemed to be on the BBC.

Why do people like that episode so much? I genuinely don't get it. It's just a zombie Simpsons episode that came too early.

McChesney Duntz

Because Albert Brooks is fucking brilliant every time he appears on the show and he's especially brilliant there.

sutin

Nothing Hank Scorpio does or says is remotely funny to me.

McChesney Duntz

Brundle-Fly

The Mr Show Everest sketch is one of the crowning moments of sketch comedy.

McChesney Duntz

You should have been on the Mr. Show message boards and e-mail groups when that sketch first aired. Tons of "that was the worst sketch ever"s and "what the fuck was that about"s. Which seems to prove what the evidence in the present thread seems to imply - that some people are shitting beef-witted fuckbrains comedy is highly subjective.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on October 30, 2021, 05:33:55 PM
You should have been on the Mr. Show message boards and e-mail groups when that sketch first aired. Tons of "that was the worst sketch ever"s and "what the fuck was that about"s.

What sad empty lives they must live

Each to their own

No, fuck it, they're halfwits.

Video Game Fan 2000

I think the Simpsons "worst episode ever" line was a reference to how their newsgroup responded to Bang Bang Bart

bgmnts

Hank Scorpio episode is pure class.

"Guy like me? I'm a guy like me!"

"Alright guys, it's the fourth quarter, the lord gave us the atoms and it's up to us to make 'em dance!"

"What's wrong with this country? Can't a man walk down the street without being offered a job?"

"Relax, Homer, here at Globex we don't believe in walls. In fact, I didn't even give you my coat!"

I know like season 8 is considered the start of the decline but it is full of so many top 5 episodes ever it's weird. Even season 9 has some crackers.

It should have ended with Behind the Laughter. Sigh.

Video Game Fan 2000

When he says "relax, Homer, here at Globex we don't believe in walls" does he mean he doesn't think walls are good or does it mean that he doesn't think walls exist?

sutin

All those quotes just prove what I see that episode as - shallow zaniness that would later become The Simpsons' stock-in-trade. The first Zombie Simpsons episode, and i'll hear no more on the matter.

McChesney Duntz

sutin

I've loved The Simpsons since 1990 and I adore almost every episode in the first 9 seasons. That episode watches like badly written fan fiction and is one of the earliest times the classic Simpsons feel slipped away. A baffling fan favourite.

McChesney Duntz

I salute your brave stance. Hey, I don't come down to where you work and knock Les Claypool's dick out of your mouth.

I mean, I kinda get where you're coming from - it's quite possible that future seasons took the wrong end of this particular s(ch)tick and ran in the wrong direction with it, poking out the eyes of the gentle beasts of comedic quality and propriety with nary a second (or indeed, first [never mind third {and have I mentioned second?}]) thought. But this episode is an example of how to do it right. And yes, I am an unrepentant Albert Brooks fanboy. But there's good reason for that. So, um, there.

sutin

I would say Albert Brooks' voicework is not an element of that episode I dislike. No shade on him for sure, if anything that stupid character is a waste of his talents.

sutin

I really have turned this thread into a discussion on a Simpsons episode I don't like. I'm gonna bow out now before I get told off.

McChesney Duntz

You don't think you've been told off already? I admire your thick skin. I think I'd like you to have a chinny-wag* with MortSahlFan when you have a minute.

* Hey, there's something I would hope everyone agrees on - that Chris Morris could pretty much do no wrong within the strictures of radio broadcasting.

Video Game Fan 2000

Aside from the very final moment of the show, Hank Kingsley never, ever deserved an ounce of sympathy from anyone whatsoever.
Private Doberman being so badly acted was the cherry on the cake of the Phil Silvers Show.
I assume everyone who loves George Carlin is bummed out by his later years of striding around going EVER NOTICE HOW THEY ARE TOO MANY FAT PEOPLE? people who share memes of that stuff aren't fans of the man, they just want to comedian to agree with them.
Likewise people who say they like Seinfeld but think season 2 is bad, they don't really exist. That's just something that's said on the internet like Slenderman.

chveik

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on October 31, 2021, 12:50:59 AM
Aside from the very final moment of the show, Hank Kingsley never, ever deserved an ounce of sympathy from anyone whatsoever.

can't think of a bigger piece of shit ever portrayed in a comedy show

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: chveik on October 31, 2021, 03:47:18 AM
can't think of a bigger piece of shit ever portrayed in a comedy show

You've not seen Get Some In then?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on October 30, 2021, 09:59:16 PM
* Hey, there's something I would hope everyone agrees on - that Chris Morris could pretty much do no wrong within the strictures of radio broadcasting.

Still too much public-bothering for my liking, the bit where he has kids ringing in for help with exams is awful.

pigamus

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on October 31, 2021, 12:50:59 AM
I assume everyone who loves George Carlin is bummed out by his later years of striding around going EVER NOTICE HOW THEY ARE TOO MANY FAT PEOPLE? people who share memes of that stuff aren't fans of the man, they just want to comedian to agree with them.

There is one particular clip I saw, basically "Here's a list of people who should be killed" - you kind of think, hmm, if you weren't George Carlin I'd think you were a bit of a cunt tbh. I had to go back and watch the abortion bit again just to remove the faint waft of depressingness.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 28, 2021, 11:15:15 PM
1. Mark McKinney is easily the least memorable of the " Kids In The Hall" Crew ( despite being the " I Crush Your Head" guy).

I'm very late on this, but it depends how we categorise memorable. Least memorable within the series, maybe, but overall career, not a chance. He co-wrote Less Than Kind, co-wrote and starred in Slings and Arrows (which I'm watching for the first time now) and is good fun in Superstore.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: pigamus on October 31, 2021, 08:13:56 AM
There is one particular clip I saw, basically "Here's a list of people who should be killed" - you kind of think, hmm, if you weren't George Carlin I'd think you were a bit of a cunt tbh. I had to go back and watch the abortion bit again just to remove the faint waft of depressingness.

Yeah I was profoundly dismayed, after getting to know his Little David records word for word, when I started hearing his 90s stuff, where he's all needlessly furious and shouting in a gruff monotone about how much he hates perfectly innocuous things. What happened to the amiable hippy with an incredible array of voices, gently making profound points in silly ways? My uncle reckoned it's because he gave up drugs after a heart attack, but how do you get from quirky routines about game shows, raisins and escalator handrails to screaming abuse at anorexics and pondering how fun it is watching disabled people jump out of burning hospitals? Eventually I could enjoy the better material in his later work, but it took me a long time to try again, and it still seems a shame that he ended up sounding so angry and hateful.

Mr. Ssmsslth

Quote from: bgmnts on October 30, 2021, 12:46:23 PM
Palin was clearly the best actor of the lot though.

Palin was more versatile but Cleese was more believable.

Avril Lavigne

Brendon Small should have carried on doing stuff in the vein of Home Movies rather than mean-spirited edgelord tripe like Metalocalypse fuck it's even annoying to type.

easytarget

Simpsons : Halfway through season 2 [Itchy & Scratch & Marge - is about where the show breaks out of being a sitcom that happens to be animated into something better] to season 9.
8 and 9 are full of classics.

The best thing in season 10 is Canyonaro