Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:46:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Steindinn okkar, an Icelandic comedy programme

Started by Johnny Foreigner, October 30, 2021, 01:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Foreigner

A few years ago, during washing up, I became aware of an Icelandic comedy show called Steindinn okkar that was broadcast on Icelandic channel, Stöð 2, from 2010 to 2012. Now, this programme seems to me to be absolutely hilarious in every respect-however, my enjoyment of it is marred by one major problem, to wit the fact that my knowledge of the Icelandic language is negligible.

For I can say, for instance:

þetta er hestur. ('That is a horse')
Her er hesturinn. ('Here is the horse')
Her eru hestarnir. ('Here are the horses')

And this knowledge of Icelandic sadly appears insufficient in order fully to appreciate the indubitably humorous nuances with which Steindinn okkar abounds. I have been looking around to see whether any subtitled editions are available, but have hitherto had no joy in my quest. The Steindinn okkar DVDs are, it seems, solely available in unsubtitled Icelandic.

Is anyone aware of a method which would allow me not only to watch this programme, but also to understand it, apart from delving deeper still into my Teach Yourself Icelandic book?

You may get a feel of the programme here:

Steindinn okkar - Faðir Thug

Glitch King

Johnny Foreigner

Can YouTube do that? I have extremely bad experiences with automated translation technology. I bought a Flemish film with automatically-generated subtitles not long ago, so that my girl-friend could watch it; total waste of money, that was. It's mostly gibberish what comes out; half of it is misinterpreted and half of it simply omitted.