Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:33:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Shiternals

Started by madhair60, October 30, 2021, 05:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on October 31, 2021, 09:51:06 AM
Enjoyed? Understandable, they are entertaining films, decently scripted with good casts. But discussed and dissected endlessly, salivated over and slavishly defended by men in their 30s/40s? Absolutely inexplicable.

Yeah, they should all be shooting ropes over 80s Kung fu films and fucking weird Japanese cartoons.

Don't think I've ever professed any enthusiasm for 'weird Japanese cartoons' but don't let that stop you from whatever tacit point you're clumsily making about the assumed inherent and self-evident superiority of US junk culture over those things.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on October 31, 2021, 10:03:19 AM
Don't think I've ever professed any enthusiasm for 'weird Japanese cartoons' but don't let that stop you from whatever tacit point you're clumsily making about the assumed inherent and self-evident superiority of US culture over those things.

I didn't suggest any superiority, what a ridiculous thing to do.

"The things I like are better than the things you like". That's fucking ridiculous.

colacentral

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on October 31, 2021, 12:28:54 AM
100%. Delusional to think that anyone with genuine talent would be happy keeping the 'shiny slop for 13-year old boys that is inexplicably enthused over by adults' mill running for anything other than totally mercenary reasons

That's funny. When you and chveik say stuff like this, you couldn't sound any more like 16 year old boys.

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on October 31, 2021, 10:07:40 AM
I didn't suggest any superiority, what a ridiculous thing to do.

"The things I like are better than the things you like". That's fucking ridiculous.

Well you did once try to call people who didn't like these Marvel films 'poseurs' so I don't think you have clean hands on this one.

Quote from: colacentral on October 31, 2021, 10:11:05 AM
That's funny. When you and chveik say stuff like this, you couldn't sound any more like 16 year old boys.

I'm perfectly willing to believe that you think that, because you like these films and to entertain the notion that I am coming from any other place than tawdry iconoclasm is not comforting, I know.

Lord Mandrake

That was a first draft immediately edited. Fuck, are you another TBC sock?

No, I am not a sock unfortunately, although I understand that might make things easier, and it was a telling slip even if it was a first draft.

colacentral

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on October 31, 2021, 10:14:16 AM
Well you did once try to call people who didn't like these Marvel films 'poseurs' so I don't think you have clean hands on this one.

I'm perfectly willing to believe that you think that, because you like these films and to entertain the notion that I am coming from any other place than tawdry iconoclasm is not comforting, I know.

That you mention the target demographic gives you away on that count, I'm afraid.

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on October 31, 2021, 10:23:42 AM
No, I am not a sock unfortunately, although I understand that might make things easier, and it was a telling slip even if it was a first draft.

Oui, Monsieur. It's been obvious for a while.

madhair60

what's even happening here

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on October 31, 2021, 10:23:42 AM

I do actually think that an inherent stance due to factors other than the film itself,  is a pose. So I should have left it in. Posuers, posing for..Themselves?

Agree with colacentral, obsessed with target demo, last time it was 14 year old boys, why revised down?

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: madhair60 on October 31, 2021, 10:31:04 AM
what's even happening here

You started another thread about the thing you hate most.

madhair60

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on October 31, 2021, 10:33:13 AM
Agree with colacentral, obsessed with target demo, last time it was 14 year old boys, why revised down?

I thought I had written 14 this time, willing to revise it back to that if you think its fairer.

Lord Mandrake

I think the films are so successful because they appeal to pretty much all ages, my dear old mum loves them as do my kids. We can sit and watch them together, not a lot of films like that these days.

Butchers Blind

People will go see this film because otherwise how will you understand the next 20-30 or whatever films in this 'phase' of the Marvel machine. I'm sure the finale of this one will involve everyone flying around in the air fighting a big bad, so there's some comfort for you.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Butchers Blind on October 31, 2021, 10:46:03 AM
People will go see this film because otherwise how will you understand the next 20-30 or whatever films in this 'phase' of the Marvel machine. I'm sure the finale of this one will involve everyone flying around in the air fighting a big bad, so there's some comfort for you.

I'm sure the finale of the next Scorsese film will involve a montage of gangsters getting shot/stabbed/throttled over  a Rolling Stones record.

madhair60

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on October 31, 2021, 10:44:01 AM
I think the films are so successful because they appeal to pretty much all ages, my dear old mum loves them as do my kids. We can sit and watch them together, not a lot of films like that these days.

Yes if there's one thing the cinematic landscape is lacking it is anodyne family friendly blockbusters, you just don't see a lot of them around these days.

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on October 31, 2021, 10:49:42 AM
I'm sure the finale of the next Scorsese film will involve a montage of gangsters getting shot/stabbed/throttled over  a Rolling Stones record.

Oh my god!

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on October 31, 2021, 10:49:42 AM

Amazing

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on October 31, 2021, 10:50:38 AM
Yes if there's one thing the cinematic landscape is lacking it is anodyne family friendly blockbusters, you just don't see a lot of them around these days.

Family friendly doesn't mean, made for kids and the adults just have to suffer it.

Lord Mandrake

Lads, exclamations of feigned shock are not rebuttals.

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on October 31, 2021, 10:58:29 AM
Lads, exclamations of feigned shock are not rebuttals.

You've seen one, maybe two, Scorsese films I'm guessing?

Can't believe that it's been two years since Scorsese made those comments and yet still, he comes up unprompted here. 'Touched a nerve' doesn't even begin to cover it.

Lord Mandrake

Glancing at his imdb. I've seen most of them. I should have put 'Mobster movies'.

Old Nehamkin

It is very funny to respond to someone criticising the Marvel movies by randomly lashing out at Martin Scorsese, a man who has not actually been mentioned by anyone else in this thread but who I guess has just been designated as the default anti-marvel archfiend (due of course to a mildly dismissive comment he dared to make about these films during a press junket a couple of years ago.)

The point is fair enough, though. I was watching The Age of Innocence the other day and the gangster shootout at the end of that one does get a bit tedious. Change the record, Marty!

The bit in Kundun where the Dalai Lama gets his head caved in by Joe Pesci is particularly chilling

Lord Mandrake

The bit in the Winter Soldier when they're all flying around shooting lasers.

madhair60

That moving bit in Winter Soldier where Jesus gathers the strength to resist the last temptation of a normal life ignorant of human suffering