Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:06:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Limp Bizkit Still Sucks

Started by madhair60, November 01, 2021, 11:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Quote from: jobotic on November 09, 2021, 11:36:55 AM
Hang on, I thought Limp Bizkit and Travis were both shit and I was right then and I'm right now.

MAN KNOWS

The Mollusk

I'm afraid that man does not know.

About Limp Bizkit I mean. Man does know about Travis.

bushwick

I was 25 or 26 when "Significant Other" came out, wayyyy too old to be the target audience, and I was always aware of the ridiculous/corny aspects but loved it still. Was into NWOBHM when I was little so ridiculous and corny were comforting sentiments to me anyway, I think. Plus I was listening to loads of No Limit Records and Triple 6 Mafia and suchlike at the time, and Bizkit had the same cartoony/glossy/unreal/OTT vibe and aesthetic. Also, as an adult i seem to subconsciously like new music that I would have liked as a kid, had it existed, if that makes sense (like when I first listened to "Boy In Da Corner" and was proper fuckin elated and blown away - imagining what I would have thought hearing that at 13. Same with "Break Stuff")

ASFTSN

Quote from: The Mollusk on November 09, 2021, 10:52:53 AM
It's perfectly fine to dislike metal but if people want to try and sneer and poke fun at the faults (which, I'd argue, are actually its strengths) then they're simply not getting the full picture.

Someone pointing out the faults of Limp Bizkit are probably not going to be perceiving those same supposed faults in proper metal bands[nb]It's too loud it's too angry, all the songs sound the same, you can't understand what he's saying blah blah blah all the same shit I haven't heard anyone say in real life since I was about 14[/nb] (sorry, I just can't think of a more apt term than proper) unless they know absolutely fuck all about heavy music and have no interest in getting any kind of full picture anyway.

Famous Mortimer

I rather liked some of the songs on that remix album they did - "Re-Arranged", for one.

chveik

this nu metal revival's acceptance feels way too contrarian to me.

PaulTMA

Fred Durst was the last person to appear on the cover of Melody Maker

Pauline Walnuts

NME's last printed one was Stefflon Don

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NME_covers

I don't know where I'm going with this.

madhair60

Quote from: chveik on November 09, 2021, 04:58:37 PM

nu metal got me into metal and hip hop, it rules

The Mollusk

Quote from: chveik on November 09, 2021, 04:58:37 PM

For me personally, chiming in somewhat with what bushwick said above, nu-metal is something which I vaguely enjoyed at the time but have a lot more respect and appreciation for it now that I further understand the general workings and traits of pop music. The same thing is true for pop-punk, which I really fell in love with a few years ago when I hit 30.

As for the broader scope of things, going from their recent Lollapalloza set where he asked how many people in the crowd had never seen an LB show before and about 2/3 of the crowd stuck their hands up, the genre appears to be having a resurgence in the generation below ours which is happily coinciding with how hyper-pop (see: Poppy, Rina Sawayama) has incorporated elements of metal into its roster, so I can see a justifiably sudden new spike in popularity there at least.

JaDanketies

Nu Metal is back again, kinda. Ho99o9, Ghostemane, Bob Vylan. I saw a poster for a festival in Leeds that seems to have loads of neo-nu-metal playing. It's better than it was, too.

BeardFaceMan

There are also bands like Tetrarch currently flying the nu metal flag.

LB's cover of Faith is a lot of fun. But for me it's not worth sitting through their misses to get to their hits because when they're bad, they're (well, just Durst, really) absolutely fucking awful.

Famous Mortimer

boki

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 09, 2021, 06:07:26 PMHo99o9, Ghostemane, Bob Vylan
Nah, they're all more directly influenced by hardcore punk, but that said there is a nu-metal revival of sorts underway.

bushwick

there is quite a lot of the old sports metal vibe in rap now, such as ZillaKami and SosMula aka City Morgue, hip hop duo from NY, two young lads with a massive nü influence to their sound and look, to the point of covering Slipknot when they play live.

madhair60

imitationleather

idunnosomename

Quote from: PaulTMA on November 09, 2021, 05:09:32 PM
Fred Durst was the last person to appear on the cover of Melody Maker
man never made a melody in his life

boki

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 12, 2021, 04:01:47 PM
man never made a melody in his life
That's how they knew they'd reached the end.