Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:01:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Framley Examiner (and FREE GIVEAWAY!!!)

Started by Magnum Valentino, November 02, 2021, 07:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum Valentino

Hello all.

The Framley Examiner's only after being reprinted there thanks to a kickstarter type thing and can be had for over a tenner in the usual spots, in a nice new hardcover. The original print occasionally went through periods of rarity/inflated value and would sell for upwards of thirty quid, but if you want it now you can get it in a spiffy hardback with extra stuff that wasn't in the original version.

Thankfully they've taken Graham Linehan's shit pull quote off the front and replaced it with one from Picture Box darling Bob Odenkirk (who has cited it as the funniest book ever written, as has Robert Popper).

To celebrate this (it really is fucking ACE), I'm giving away my old slightly dog-eared, good-jokes-highlighted-for-about-twenty-pages but CLEAN copy to anyone who wants it. First to reply here, it's yours, postage on me (UK only but soz).

Who else likes this excellent comedy thing? Funny names, brilliant single sentences, visual gags - maybe the best of its kind ever made.

Share enthusiasm!

madhair60

i'd like it....

edit: oh hang on I think I own it already!

Magnum Valentino

And I already have your address!

(have you moved)

madhair60

which one are you giving away, the one with the chips on the cover?

Magnum Valentino

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yep, I was a fan, and I've got my original Framley Examiner book, too. I can exclusively reveal that I am actually Facebook friends with one of the creators, too. Can further exclusively reveal that I met the main Framley instigator , that feller who did the theme from " Ideal" and .ooks a bit like Jarvis Cocker at an exclusive event, he was surprisingly down to earth, and an exclusive Framley- related conversation was had. Well, we might have exclusively talked about Framley, I can't remember, I was blind drunk. Still, at least I didn't exclusively throw up all over him.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 02, 2021, 08:37:00 PM
Yep, I was a fan, and I've got my original Framley Examiner book, too. I can exclusively reveal that I am actually Facebook friends with one of the creators, too. Can further exclusively reveal that I met the main Framley instigator , that feller who did the theme from " Ideal" and .ooks a bit like Jarvis Cocker at an exclusive event, he was surprisingly down to earth, and an exclusive Framley- related conversation was had. Well, we might have exclusively talked about Framley, I can't remember, I was blind drunk. Still, at least I didn't exclusively throw up all over him.

[tag]Jon mentions Candidate as Naomi sucks up to Gralefrit[/tag]  Oops! Wrong Planet forum

madhair60

Ray Travez

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on November 02, 2021, 07:06:19 PM
To celebrate this (it really is fucking ACE), I'm giving away my old slightly dog-eared, good-jokes-highlighted-for-about-twenty-pages but CLEAN copy to anyone who wants it. First to reply here, it's yours, postage on me (UK only but soz).

am I too late to claim for this? Seems like everyone else has a copy...

Twonty Gostelow

I have a copy too, but virtual karma to Magval for his generosity.

I haven't read it in ages but I remember chuckling at someone's address in one of the stories being Christopher Tracy Parade.

famethrowa

Love the Framley, an incredible self contained world of all great comedy wrapped up in a drab village. My vintage copy is safely ensconced in the bathroom cabinet for quick reference.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Ray Travez on November 02, 2021, 11:47:52 PM
am I too late to claim for this? Seems like everyone else has a copy...

You aren't! PM me your address.

jobotic

I remember getting this out of the library and sitting in the pub on my own trying really hard not to laugh out loud like a maniac.

But now I can't remember much about it - I do remember a sex chat line with the words HAVE SEX AT ME which stayed with me. Seem to remember the small ads being one of the best bits.

gilbertharding

I can't decide if The Framley Examiner book is slightly better than, or not quite as good as Our Dumb Century. It's definitely slightly better than TV Go Home.

neveragain

Oh, definitely better than the TV Go Home book which fluctuates in quality. It's probably on par with (surely its progenitor) the Craggy Island Parish Magazines but - for me - is pipped by Scarfolk which, while certainly not as funny, feels more original.

Anyway, great book. Tons of value. If I had to grouse, I'd say the newer bits aren't as good as the bits that were in the first book, as they seem to rely more on just being crude than creating nifty gags or luxuriating in character/town detail.

Captain Z

I don't know where the usual spots are, but here is the direct link for the re-printed version for anyone else interested who, like me, might be interested:

https://unbound.com/books/framley/

(Ok, just seen it on A***** also. Going via Google only brought up the original print that was selling for a much higher price)

famethrowa

Brilliant. I hopped on the website for a look around, opened up a "Personals" page, saw Ike & Tina up the top and let out a guffaw that nearly woke the house. "Jam up my battenburg", indeed!

http://www.framleyexaminer.com/pages/pers001

jenna appleseed

I've got very fond memory of the "Met at Paul Weller gig" classified on that page. plus a long term (false?) memory of stumbling across it randomly via a search and binge reading it on the school library computer, except I looked it up once and the dates don't match up, I apparently left collage before the site started *confused*.

Also getting weird nostalgia for genuine local paper personals ads that nearly were that incomprehensible.

jenna appleseed

Some gloriously niche/ 80s/early 90s specific  references too. inc one I've only just realised wasn't something they randomly made up but an actual obscure thing on tv, purely because I saw somewhere like TV Cream mention it just last month.

eta: just seen the personals ad that's (not quite) a Leonard Cohen song. *dying*

I'd forgotten just how right and funny this was. (Back then some of the more odd/real world gone wonky bits genuinely creeped me out).

Wasn't there a letters page / classifieds somewhere on the site that kept having increasingly desperate messages from somebody trapped in a house?

The Mr Hollyhock stuff in the classified ads gets dark, but it's still funny as fuck.

steveh

Am about a quarter of the way through the new book having not really revisited it since the early days of the website and the gag rate is really impressive given it's not a very big group of writers. Reminds me a lot in comedy style of the Not the Nine O'Clock News books.

Ray Travez