Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:26:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Does absolutely no- one on 'ere watch HIGNFY anymore?

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, November 02, 2021, 10:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The new series had a strong opener, I seem to remember. There was a young comedienne  on Ian Hislop's side who actually made some pretty sassy jokes and cutting comments. Everyone seemed to be making an effort to call Boris Johnson and our current government all the cunts under he sun too, to show how they were none too concerned about impartiality, and that. Then there were a couple of crap episodes ( including one that was hosted by Jo Brand, so you're always going to be guaranteed a fairly shit episode , there)
The  one this week was a good 'un again, hosted by Bill Bailey. One laughable bit involved Ian Hislop trying to call out Dawn Butler for her mentioning that little feller who does the budgets for this country for breaking Parliamentary protocol, to which she responded her calling Boris Johnson a liar was not exactly breaking any codes as such, more making a statement of fact, and it was all very funny.
Paul Merton continues to mature like a fine wine wrapped in a jazzy shirt, and Ian Hislop and his amazing double chin continues his morphing into a humanesque Lonesome George ( that tortoise from the Galapogos Islands who lived to a ripe old age).
Absolutely *  nobody* on ' ere watching it ( I feel like I've made a variation on this status twice yearly for at least the past few years now)?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Oh yeah, the feller on Ian Hislop's team made a well Edgelordy joke about Alec Baldwin, too.

jobotic

I'd rather watch Question Time, and I'd rather watch my own death by torture than Question Time.

Dusty Substance

The most recent episode of HIGNFY  I've seen is the one hosted by Brian Blessed. "Must be, what, nearly a decade ago now" I just thought to myself, did a quick Google and, fuck me, and it was aired in May 2008. I was still in my 20s then.

JesusAndYourBush

I've been watching the 45min versions on iplayer.  I assumed they were online only, after scrutinising the schedules on 2 occasions (one time ctrl-f'ing every page) but it took a remark in ep.4 to inform me it was being shown after midnight at stupid oclock, so then I looked at the schedule and there it was.

This series is a massive improvement on last series when they were zooming it in and all the comic timing was screwed. (Plus a real studio audience not a pointless bunch of people watching on zoom it occasionally cut to.)

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 02, 2021, 11:00:18 PM(Plus a real studio audience not a pointless bunch of people watching on zoom it occasionally cut to.)

Most of whom wouldn't know satire from shinola.

I'd love to see Boris on Paul's team!!

Johnny Foreigner

It was my favourite programme from the mid-nineties until about the time they murdered Angus Deayton.
I do not watch it now because I have no TV and pay no licence fee; watching it would therefore be illegal.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 02, 2021, 10:34:51 PM
Oh yeah, the feller on Ian Hislop's team made a well Edgelordy joke about Alec Baldwin, too.

He's called Fin Taylor and he's a very good stand-up comedian. Currently on tour and it's a great show.

HamishMacbeth

Dip in and out these days, watch it with the GF when we're too lazy to properly pick something good before the chips get cold.

Do agree it seems to have gotten its nerve back a bit this year, though we're still having to sit through a few too many "haha, Ian is old" jokes.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Kankurette

I don't watch TV much but even if I did, I can't watch it now because it's part of the reason that cunt Johnson is in charge.

Icehaven

Used to watch it a million years ago but it seems to be something I never even chance across while channel surfing, which would suggest it's on when I'm usually out, however as I never go anywhere or do anything that seems unlikely.

jobotic

Quote from: Kankurette on November 03, 2021, 02:17:22 AM
I don't watch TV much but even if I did, I can't watch it now because it's part of the reason that cunt Johnson is in charge.

Er no actually becuase they've had other politicians on and they're not prime minister so that's you sussed.

I. Hislop

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 03, 2021, 12:19:41 AM
He's called Fin Taylor and he's a very good stand-up comedian. Currently on tour and it's a great show.

Yep, I'd second that. He cracked some very good gags and contributed to the olde tyme- like HIGNFY atmosphere. Hislop's gags , by contrast, seem to be getting ever more inane and unfunny.
Ria Lina was yer woman from the first episode, she's very good, too.

Cloud

Yeah sometimes.  I like it when there's something going on, like Brexit.  Less interesting when it's a slow news week and it's down to just missing words on random topics and the "lol a magazine for nerds" bit and stuff.

pancreas

Quote from: jobotic on November 02, 2021, 10:37:18 PM
I'd rather watch Question Time, and I'd rather watch my own death by torture than Question Time.

preach brother

gilbertharding

I quite like The News Quiz, there's at least a homeopathic trace of Jeremy Hardy and Linda Smith etc. And it's funny. Unlike HIGNFY.

Fambo Number Mive

Seconded. And why Rees-Mogg is on the frontbench.

I'm sure watching it would make me laugh at least once per episode but the show is forever spoiled for me. Wonder which Tory MP they will help to boost next.

All the jokes about people's weight were fairly grim as well. It stopped even pretending to be satire a long time ago, it's now a parlour game for Establishment people to boost their profile.

ajsmith2

Saw Jack Dee on a recent edition and honestly thought he was George Galloway until he spoke.

robhug

Occasionally worth watching it, although some episodes are pretty dire. Quite often someone will make a political point about something that takes a minute and they all look very serious and then rapturous applause for another 20 seconds so it does seem its sort of morphing into Question time without the rabid brexiteers

Johnny Foreigner

Jimmy Carr having a go at Ann Widdecombe was funny, Patrick Moore demonstrating the Solar System with a bunch of apples and pears, Brian Blessed shouting his head off and taking over the show, the Hamiltons being given a brown envelope.

All a very, very, very long time ago.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 02, 2021, 10:30:26 PMAbsolutely *  nobody* on ' ere watching it

Haven't watched a second of it in 15 years I'm sure. Good observation about Hislop looking like a tortoise though.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 02, 2021, 10:30:26 PMEveryone seemed to be making an effort to call Boris Johnson and our current government all the cunts

Trite opinion and everything but isn't in HIGNFY's fault that Boris is prime minister in the first place?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 03, 2021, 11:06:18 AM
It stopped even pretending to be satire a long time ago, it's now a parlour game for Establishment people to boost their profile.

They're not necessarily mutually exclusive. Even if Tory McCunt went on there and had the piss mercilessly ripped out of them they'd still get exposure to millions of people and get a big profile boost. Personally I would have assumed anyone laying eyes on Boris Johnson would need no further proof that the guy couldn't be trusted to clean your windows or feed your dog, but apparently not, apparently he should be in charge of the government.

H-O-W-L

HamishMacbeth

Not entirely sold on the idea that HIGNFY cleans up dirty politicians, that said it seemed like a more credible argument 10 years ago when people actually talked about the show. Still weird to me though that they justified sacking Angus because his scandal apparently made him useless as a tool for making fun of shitty public figures, and then just let a series of shitty public figures do it.

Johnny Yesno

Thirded.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 02, 2021, 10:30:26 PM
one that was hosted by Jo Brand, so you're always going to be guaranteed a fairly shit episode , there

Wrong. She's one of the few presenters who make it at all watchable.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 02, 2021, 10:34:51 PM

Fin 'Bomb Jeremy Corbyn fans' Taylor is shit for cunts.

Clearly, your brain is addled.

SpiderChrist

Stopped watching HIGNFY and QT around the same time. Neither programme strikes me as being what it claims to be. And agreed that HIGNFY inadvertently amplified the whole LOLBORIS phenomenon and well, here we are.