Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:40:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Does absolutely no- one on 'ere watch HIGNFY anymore?

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, November 02, 2021, 10:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Foreigner

Coming to think of it, it was probably Flanders and Swann who laid the basis for post-war British satire. They were quite political and near-the-knuckle.
Everything we hold dear to-day, we owe to Flanders and Swann.

Sodding new page.

FredNurke

Graham McCann has a rather nice Flanders and Swann article among his Comedy Chronicle pieces which, inter alia, makes a similar observation.

There definitely were satirical elements to the Goon Show: mimicking the tedium and dullness of the House of Commons 20+ years before radio broadcasting confirmed it; Peter Sellers being banned from impersonating the Queen and Churchill in the show because (naturally) his impressions were a bit too good. It was a show that continually sent up 50s Britain and the contrast between its ongoing imperial pretensions and the frequently shabby reality, as well as taking potshots at its cultural myths up to and including the Second World War. Its influence on Peter Cook is very clear, perhaps even clearer than its influence on Python. But then, I seem to recall Cook saying that he didn't think most of what he'd done was really 'satire', either.

trabuch

Ferris

Anyone who watches HIGNFY in the year 2021 should have their hard drive seized.

Hislop's head like a tufted bar of elderly soap; Merton's face sagging more and more like a pair of heavy-linen curtains in a Singapore brothel.

And in the centre paffing softball questions of centrist tedium to cunts, some rent-a-tory politician rehabbing his image with the gullible producers and viewers of the channel clapping like seals, all under the trusty watch of the taxpayer-funded BBC.

Is it a dolphin in a bathtub? The banality of evil writ large.

trabuch

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 06, 2021, 12:28:17 AM
Anyone who watches HIGNFY in the year 2021 should have their hard drive seized.

Hislop's head like a tufted bar of elderly soap; Merton's face sagging more and more like a pair of heavy-linen curtains in a Singapore brothel.

And in the centre paffing softball questions of centrist tedium to cunts, some rent-a-tory politician rehabbing his image with the gullible producers and viewers of the channel clapping like seals, all under the trusty watch of the taxpayer-funded BBC.

Is it a dolphin in a bathtub? The banality of evil writ large.

I honestly can't be doing with anger.

Kankurette

I also like the Goon Show and don't really see it as satirical except the odd Churchill mention.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Kankurette on November 06, 2021, 01:56:12 AM
I also like the Goon Show and don't really see it as satirical except the odd Churchill mention.

You could argue that it has satirical elements, but that doesn't make it a satire as a whole; although you could argue that the Goons being that outlandish and ridiculous on 1950s BBC radio is satirical in itself, perhaps without the direct intent.

Probably overthinking it.  Fuckit post.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

H-O-W-L